Gallery Suites
$145
  • Breakfast included
$156
  • Pool
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
$162
$110
$154
$106
$101
$86
  • Restaurant
All reviewshengshan roadart decogreat boutiqueold french concessionroad metro stationbreakfast roomshort walkthe hotel staffstayed for nightsrooms are largetoilettvvanitysofaxujiahuitub
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

When we arrived we were a bit shocked. The hotel looks very run down and shabby. After checking in we went to our twin room (which we had booked through Agoda but that seemed to have confused matters at reception) via the lift which absolutely stunk - it was wet through the carpet both days we were there and nothing was done about it.

The room is beautiful and huge. We absolutely love the art deco style and the bathroom was enormous too, including bath and shower and sit down basin area. Wardrobes everywhere.

But the room smelt terrible. Was in need of a paint job. Just looked as though it would have been killer six or seven years ago, but had never been touched up. And has likely been sold or the owners (or group) don't care anymore or don't have the capital to keep it up to scratch.

A massive shame. Because this would be so popular and effective if it had been kept in shape.

Great value if you want a big and decorative room in the concession. If you want the details, don't bother.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Bradmg
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I must say that the hotel staff are very friendly and extremely helpful; hotel service is great and the room is super cleans; it is convinently located in downtown shanghai! The room is beautifully decorated! Great place for relaxing.

Room Tip: I was at room 305, and it is good!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hopefully I didn't write a comment on the first day: I was there for 5 nights , and the service was so poor , that I was about to leave after a few questions with no answers at the front desk. It is really a pity because in fact the hotel is really well located , and very calm , the rooms are great and spacious ( except the location of the toilets , in front of the room , with no doors, , if you are alone it is not a problem but I would have been really upset if I was not alone)
The breakfast is really basic, but I saw some Chinese customers that seemed to appreciated , so just don't try the continental one, bread and croissants are just bad.
Concerning service , I understand now why the comments are so different, because there is one of the girl that speaks English and try to be helpfull , and also especially one man( I think his name is Andy) so if you are are the right time at the right place , you will be served by those 2 that are really kind and great , otherwise you will have to deal with the 3 other front desk girls that are playing games ,or even sleeping, and never even turn their head to say hello or bye , we'll in fact they cannot as they don't speak a word , really a word of English... At the end I can recommend this hotel , as location and good rooms are maybe the more important , and if you get lucky you can even have the service include:) last conclusion , the photographer that took the pictures on the website is really good , or the pictures are old , because it is far from what it really looks like....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here on our Asia trip over New Years and really enjoyed it. The hotel is extremely well located in the French Concession, very close to the Metro and near a bunch of fun bars and interesting restaurants. The price was right and the rooms are really well done. Of course, we're both particularly into art deco, and it doesn't hurt that the rooms are huge. The staff also has a fantastic command of English, which can be tough at times in China.

The single qualm we had is that some of the rooms have very...interestingly located toilets. Indeed, some are far around the corner of the bathroom, but others face the open bedroom.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I chose the place as I love what I saw from the pictures as it has a very strong Art Deco / Old Shanghai feel, but when I enter my room, I was disappointed to find that the place is not very well maintained. Things are a little old, especially the metal blinds in the bathroom are bent.

When I arrived, the reception was cold and nonchalant when I ask questions. There was nobody to show us to the room either. I went during the end of December, so the weather was cold, but the heater is not very warm even though we have adjusted the temperature high. The location of the hotel is not close to any sights or attractions.

I stayed in a few hotels during my stay and this place fair the worst. There are many better options in Shanghai.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple