“Avoid this place.”

Dazhong Airport Hotel
Ranked #18 of 794 Shanghai B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was surprised to see that the place was opened in 2008. I'd have thought it was set up in about 1958. I stayed there on the night of 26th September, 2013. I had booked through elong.com in July and since I was to arrive about 11 p.m., I went through the process of guaranteeing my room (non-smoking) by providing credit card details, etc. to elong. Imagine my surprise when at 11 p.m. I arrived to find that no room had been allocated to me. Two stinking rooms were offered, each of which I refused. After refusing the two offered on the musty, stinking secnd floor, the surly receptionists told me that since I had arrived late, there were very few rooms still available. Booking through elong.com two months in advance and providing credit card details by way of guarantee of arrival meant nothing to this place, it seems. I got a third room on floor 5 and found then that they do, indeed, have a 'non-smoking' floor. That room was shabby and bady designed. There was a circular bed whose presence was explained by the fact that a rectangular one would have had difficulty in fitting into the room. The only soap was a small circular bar such as is found in central China two-star hotels. This had to be used both in the shower and at the hand basin. The w.c. had the Chinese low-cost obligatory receptacle for used toilet paper beside it. The TV set was on an ugly chipped stand whose door hung awry. At least, floor five did not have the stink of floor 2. The cost of the 'standard room' was 458 RMB, an outrageous amount given the sloppy quality of the place. As any traveller to China knows, 458 can get a decent four or five star hotel room in most places. The surly receptionists demanded 800 RMB by way of deposit lest I should take it into my head to trash the room or to purloin the bar of soap. The room was at least quiet. Check-out was lengthy to say the least. When I arrived at the check-out at 8 a.m., there were two queues, each of 6 people. The two attendants seemed to process half an Amazonian forest through their dot-matrix printer to deal with each guest. They were slow and surly. All in all, I found the place an absolute disgrace and could recommend the place to no one. I had noticed quite a few hotel stands open just beyond Customs and Immigration. These were the offices of places that ran a shuttle service to their hotels just behond the airport. I'd certainly have taken one of these in preference to the Dazhong had I known what I'd find. Certainly I will next time I arrive late. I often stay at the Ambassador Transit Hotel in Terminal 3 of Changi Airport in Singapore. Their price is similar and the quality of the rooms is such as to make the Dazhong seem positively third world. Whoever manages the Dazhong appears to be a graduate in management from a Hubei or Hunan two-star establishment far from any city of any size. I note that many reviewers of this hotel, when writing in Chinese, think the place is fine - but that would indicate to me an unfamiliarity with the quality that one might reasonably expect for 458 RMB and from an international airport. The Dazhong gives Shanghai all the quality of some backwoods place in Africa. The most ridiculous moment of my experience was when, upon arriving at the second of the stinking smoke-ridden rooms, a room attendant turned up with a small bottle of some sort of pink spray with which she intended masking the cigarette smoke that permeated the place - no doubt for just long enough for me to accept the room. But I've seen that old trick more than once in China and so was unmoved.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank artybeee

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We've just stayed at Dazhong for one night and never again. There are two desks in the North hotel, but nothing to say check in on this one and pay your dues at the other. The staff are impolite, arrogant and really don't want to help. I notice they had numbers on their badges, not names, does the management think we have no idea how to pronounce Chinese names or perhaps the staff are just numbers?
The signature bar was a complete rip-off. The sign says it's open until 1am, we turned up at 12.30am after a very delayed flight from Beijing and got told it was closed, fortunately they still served us after us insisting the sign said otherwise. The prices were through the roof and the measures were so meagre compared to the rest of China.
The room was OK, the bed was alright and it was a reasonable size (we'd booked a King business room). That's it, the sheets were ripped, the pillows (one each) had rice (or something similar) in - why is this, did they think I'd be hungry in the night? The bathroom vanity was stained and the floor VERY slippery when wet. The shower had a rain shower which wasn't bad. There was no wi-fi. The only hot drink available in room was green tea. For a hotel at an airport with possible international clientele why is there no coffee or English Tea?
Woken early morning by cleaners in the room next door and car horns, NOT by planes...
That's all I can say. Oh, nice view.

Room Tip: I dread to think what a standard room is like... The King room in the north hotel was a good size if...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1107nikki
Reviewed September 9, 2013

It is hard to find how best to book a room at this hotel. I used Otel.com booking system and paid the same as trhe rack rate shown in the lobby. The entrance to the hotel is via a lift shaft that literally straddles the Maglev/Airport entrance. Its 10 min walk from T1 along the walkways.

There are two sides to the hotel best summarised as Economy (North) and "Luxury" (South) . I chose the latter. However on getting to my turn at reception (a very slow process) it was like starting again i.e. what sort of room do you want? Smoking or not? Then passed over the person who handles payment. Asked for an additional 200RMB deposit as security. I paid.

Charm was not one of the strong points of the staff. Its an example of what happens when a government authority tries to run a hotel.

Had a room at end of corridor with nice view over airport. Room was ok, a little ragged, worn and basic but could have been much worse. Large shower and ability to work at small desk with internet.Working air conditioning.

I put my head down for a few hours and then checked out, reclaiming, I hope, my 200RMB from the uncheery reception desk.

I would stay again for a brief stop by if transit was the only option.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high elevation room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TechnoProf
Reviewed September 8, 2013

There's one and only one reason to stay at this hotel: the location. It's the only hotel within walking distance of the airport's two terminals - reached via walkway after 5 - 10 mins. So, if you don't want to take a cab or shuttle, then this is your place.

HOWEVER. The rooms are dingy (carpets worn) and a little dated. There is no wifi in the rooms - so if you have a tablet, forget connecting it. You'll need a device that can plug in. Meanwhile, the front desk staff is under-trained and overwhelmed. Check-in was a chaotic nightmare. As for check-out - mine went okay, but the guy next to me wasn't able to convince the staff that he had left some documents for their safe care. Not good.

Amazing that an airport which fashions itself an up-and-coming Asian hub offers such a grubby mess as the only on-site hotel option. A little competition would be good for this joint. Still, if you have to stay here, you'll be fine. But only just.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FeltonS
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not dated and mediocre although you can get a cheap deal if booked in advance. I stated at the hotel version rather than the Home Inn version and agree the rooms are somewhat a reminder of the 1970s in Europe. Shower wad actually ok but sound proofing not so impressive and I heard plenty of airplanes taking off but I was tired and fell asleep anyway. Worst aspects were, first, the lack of wireless except at the overpriced 8th floor bar and second, the dreadful staff who lacked even basic good manners and avoided entirely the use of words like "please" and "thank you". Throwing my passport and APEC card back across the counter to me and bluntly demanding my deposit without even a hint of basic good manners were two examples of many at both check-in and check-out. Even allowing for language and cultural differences, basic good manners at an international airport should at least be an expectation. There are many much better hotels very near the airport and this hotel should only be considered if absolutely needing to arrive very late or leave very early as I had to do.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We arrived in shanghai late at night and after completing immigration and customs, walked to
The hotel, which is between terminal 1 and 2. I read the reviews about only a short walk, but
I found the walk quite long and even wondered at one stage if we missed the lift to the 2nd floor.
The airport was hot, not being helped as we left melbourne at 6 degrees C and arrived at 33 degrees C. Once we arrived we checked in and found the room very strange. A round bed,
A cabinet with a tv on top and a fridge inside, which did ot work. A scene from 50 years ago.
However we were very tired and went to bed. Overall not an inspiring experience, strange that such a modern airport has such a dated hotel

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank harryv989
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Due to bad weather I missed my flight out of Shanghai. Next flight was 24 hours, so I tried the Airport Hotel. They could easily have charged me extra for a last minute booking, but instead gave me a room at a discount rate. The room was very comfortable and was of really nice quality. The only unusual thing was a round bed, but to be honest it was soft and comfortable so didnt even notice once I was in it. It was well equipped and the bathroom was quite large. Possibly the best feature is the location. Directly between terminals one and two, it is an easy walk with bags. This also places it right next to the food court and shops so grabbing a snack is easy too. One of the things I found most unusual was how quiet it was - I am a light sleeper but not a big fan of air conditioning. So I slept with the windows open and noise was no problem at all. As my flight was late the next day I left my luggage and went into town. It was nice to see it was stored securely (not in the foyer like many hotels). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business