“Acceptable for a quick "head-down and freshen -up" between flights” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dazhong Airport Hotel

You added Dazhong Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Dazhong Airport Hotel
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   No.6001 Yingbin Avenue, Pudong New Area, Shanghai 201202, China (Pudong International Airport)   |
Name/address in local language
Ranked #93 of 661 Shanghai B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Acceptable for a quick "head-down and freshen -up" between flights”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

It is hard to find how best to book a room at this hotel. I used Otel.com booking system and paid the same as trhe rack rate shown in the lobby. The entrance to the hotel is via a lift shaft that literally straddles the Maglev/Airport entrance. Its 10 min walk from T1 along the walkways.

There are two sides to the hotel best summarised as Economy (North) and "Luxury" (South) . I chose the latter. However on getting to my turn at reception (a very slow process) it was like starting again i.e. what sort of room do you want? Smoking or not? Then passed over the person who handles payment. Asked for an additional 200RMB deposit as security. I paid.

Charm was not one of the strong points of the staff. Its an example of what happens when a government authority tries to run a hotel.

Had a room at end of corridor with nice view over airport. Room was ok, a little ragged, worn and basic but could have been much worse. Large shower and ability to work at small desk with internet.Working air conditioning.

I put my head down for a few hours and then checked out, reclaiming, I hope, my 200RMB from the uncheery reception desk.

I would stay again for a brief stop by if transit was the only option.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high elevation room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TechnoProf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

There's one and only one reason to stay at this hotel: the location. It's the only hotel within walking distance of the airport's two terminals - reached via walkway after 5 - 10 mins. So, if you don't want to take a cab or shuttle, then this is your place.

HOWEVER. The rooms are dingy (carpets worn) and a little dated. There is no wifi in the rooms - so if you have a tablet, forget connecting it. You'll need a device that can plug in. Meanwhile, the front desk staff is under-trained and overwhelmed. Check-in was a chaotic nightmare. As for check-out - mine went okay, but the guy next to me wasn't able to convince the staff that he had left some documents for their safe care. Not good.

Amazing that an airport which fashions itself an up-and-coming Asian hub offers such a grubby mess as the only on-site hotel option. A little competition would be good for this joint. Still, if you have to stay here, you'll be fine. But only just.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FeltonS
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not dated and mediocre although you can get a cheap deal if booked in advance. I stated at the hotel version rather than the Home Inn version and agree the rooms are somewhat a reminder of the 1970s in Europe. Shower wad actually ok but sound proofing not so impressive and I heard plenty of airplanes taking off but I was tired and fell asleep anyway. Worst aspects were, first, the lack of wireless except at the overpriced 8th floor bar and second, the dreadful staff who lacked even basic good manners and avoided entirely the use of words like "please" and "thank you". Throwing my passport and APEC card back across the counter to me and bluntly demanding my deposit without even a hint of basic good manners were two examples of many at both check-in and check-out. Even allowing for language and cultural differences, basic good manners at an international airport should at least be an expectation. There are many much better hotels very near the airport and this hotel should only be considered if absolutely needing to arrive very late or leave very early as I had to do.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
Albury, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We arrived in shanghai late at night and after completing immigration and customs, walked to
The hotel, which is between terminal 1 and 2. I read the reviews about only a short walk, but
I found the walk quite long and even wondered at one stage if we missed the lift to the 2nd floor.
The airport was hot, not being helped as we left melbourne at 6 degrees C and arrived at 33 degrees C. Once we arrived we checked in and found the room very strange. A round bed,
A cabinet with a tv on top and a fridge inside, which did ot work. A scene from 50 years ago.
However we were very tired and went to bed. Overall not an inspiring experience, strange that such a modern airport has such a dated hotel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harryv989
Whanganui, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Due to bad weather I missed my flight out of Shanghai. Next flight was 24 hours, so I tried the Airport Hotel. They could easily have charged me extra for a last minute booking, but instead gave me a room at a discount rate. The room was very comfortable and was of really nice quality. The only unusual thing was a round bed, but to be honest it was soft and comfortable so didnt even notice once I was in it. It was well equipped and the bathroom was quite large. Possibly the best feature is the location. Directly between terminals one and two, it is an easy walk with bags. This also places it right next to the food court and shops so grabbing a snack is easy too. One of the things I found most unusual was how quiet it was - I am a light sleeper but not a big fan of air conditioning. So I slept with the windows open and noise was no problem at all. As my flight was late the next day I left my luggage and went into town. It was nice to see it was stored securely (not in the foyer like many hotels). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank crosis
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was unfortunate to become ill while checking in for a flight and I was unable to travel for two days. So we stayed at this hotel and we were very happy with the level of service provided. We did have some communication problems (as we only speak English and not Chinese), but they were really helpful and managed to find what was needed in difficult circumstances.

The room itself, was modern and had all we needed. One thing I wasn t so keen on was the glass bathroom door (not at all private).

I would have no hesitation in staying here again, should I need a stopover at Pudong International Airport.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
colombo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This Hotel is very conveniently located between T1 and t2. there is a lift exactly halfway to get to the level where you can access the Motel and the Hotel. I stayed in the hotel on 25th June 2013 for 10 hrs.

the room is comfortable and with internet.
There is a restuarant serving a la carte and buffet. buffet was 48 rmb. and get only 48 rmb worth. not so great talking about but will get your hunger out of the way.

Convenience is the name as you are inside the Airport just five minutes from check in.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, you are not looking at great rooms. just a place to rest and sleep
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business