“a great stay”

Reviewed October 17, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Before starting to plan how to reach the hotel make sure you are heading towards Nancang street (you know it's okay if you see on the map Nangpu Bridge station nearby).
We went to Nancang Road (that's what we had on the reservation) but they had moved to Nancang Street, and since Shanghai is a huge city it's better to plan in advance.
The hotel staff was very nice and kind, room was clean and new. It was very cold outside and the heating worked perfectly.
The room had a balcony and it was quite nice to look at Shanghai's skyline.
We did not include breakfast in our reservation and I suggest you do the same: it is very "chinese" and not so continental.
The subway is just around the corner, you'll reach it with a 5 minutes walk from the hotel; 4-5 stops and you'll be downtown.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

great location which is close to the railway & bus station. The double bedroom is clean but quite small and narrow. The service is fine. Didnt spend much time on cheak-in & out.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The rooms could use some updating, but for the money, I simply cannot complain at all. A 2-minute walk from WalMart, easy to find taxis trolling the spinning mart downstairs.
The staff is outstanding, helpful, and friendly. I actually extended my stay at the hotel by two weeks, I was so happy with the price and the value. The bed is typically Chinese, which is comparable to sleeping on a concrete slab, and you might want to buy your own LAN cord if you hope to use your laptop anywhere more than 2 feet from the outlet. Shower is wonderful, and the balcony very conducive to drying laundry.
I had a problem with my air conditioning late at night, and they without question moved me to a much larger room for the same price for the duration of my stay. Terrific staff. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kevin W
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I got a single room which was only big enough to fit the queen sized bed, desk, and TV. There's a closet for extra storage. The bathroom was surprisingly big compared to the size of the room. Everything was clean. I thought it was decent for the price (got it for about $45 a night). It's not a super fancy hotel but it gets the job done. Within walking distance of subway lines.

My parents got a 1 bedroom suite and that comes with a living room, kitchen area, bedroom (which is the size of the single room), and bathroom.

One thing that I did like was the air conditioner, self controlled and strong. It can get really hot and humid in Shanghai.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank smerfette
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is the Napu Rayfont not the other ones which maybe a lot nicer. The descriptions of this place is deceptive.The rooms are small and the bathrooms are full of mildew. Service is poor. When I got there they assigned me to a one bed room when I paid for a 2 bed. They did give me a 2 bed when I pointed it out. While in the lobby two other customers I talked to were being incorrectly charged and had to contact their agent in Europe to correct.

Pool and gym are not in the same building but in a courtyard of a residential complex. It is not as nice as the photos suggests.

Location is good since you are close to a couple subway stations. And on the weekends there are food.vendors in the morning on the street. But the hotel is right.next to slums.

I would not stay here again if I have too. But if I just needed a place to crash and not care about amenities, customer service, and cleanliness- it is a good value.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at the Rayfont hotel for three weeks on a recent trip to Shanghai. The hotel is definitely not a 4-star hotel so please temper your expectations. Location is ok... close to the number 4 and number 8 lines. In Shanghai, getting around is all about metro unless you want to take a taxi everywhere - about 10 minutes walk to the number 4 Nanpu Bridge station - which I warn you doesn't come as often as say a number 2 line and you could be doing a lot of transferring lines.

Good:
Price.
Location is ok.
Close to Walmart.
Hotel staff seem friendly and spoke english,
Room size is about right.

Bad:
Hardest Bed I've ever slept on.
Towels and pillow case had holes in them.
I think I got bug bites while sleeping.
Balcony is pretty filthy.
Still smelled smoke even though non-smoking room.
Last two days I was there... sink and toilet water was brown. Very nasty.

I paid $25 per night for my stay - so I paid cheap and that is exactly what you get. If you expect a 4 or 5 star experience, you will pay $100-200. I think you need to understand that. I'm pretty into camping and the outdoors so I was able to overlook some of the deficiencies of this hotel but if you need soft pillows and bed - and a 4 star hotel, this is not for you. There is the saying... You get what you pay for... and in my case, I got a $25 a night hotel.

In all... I didn't have a bad experience and just slept there at nights... and it wasn't all bad. I think the big one that I have a hard time overlooking is brown water from the sink and toilet... please use bottle water to brush your teeth!

I will likely not stay here again. I think I will want to stay closer to the city center next time.

Room Tip: chose non-smoking....