“good of this price”

Ranked #2,355 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai
“good of this price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

great location which is close to the railway & bus station. The double bedroom is clean but quite small and narrow. The service is fine. Didnt spend much time on cheak-in & out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

The rooms could use some updating, but for the money, I simply cannot complain at all. A 2-minute walk from WalMart, easy to find taxis trolling the spinning mart downstairs.
The staff is outstanding, helpful, and friendly. I actually extended my stay at the hotel by two weeks, I was so happy with the price and the value. The bed is typically Chinese, which is comparable to sleeping on a concrete slab, and you might want to buy your own LAN cord if you hope to use your laptop anywhere more than 2 feet from the outlet. Shower is wonderful, and the balcony very conducive to drying laundry.
I had a problem with my air conditioning late at night, and they without question moved me to a much larger room for the same price for the duration of my stay. Terrific staff. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Kevin W
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I got a single room which was only big enough to fit the queen sized bed, desk, and TV. There's a closet for extra storage. The bathroom was surprisingly big compared to the size of the room. Everything was clean. I thought it was decent for the price (got it for about $45 a night). It's not a super fancy hotel but it gets the job done. Within walking distance of subway lines.

My parents got a 1 bedroom suite and that comes with a living room, kitchen area, bedroom (which is the size of the single room), and bathroom.

One thing that I did like was the air conditioner, self controlled and strong. It can get really hot and humid in Shanghai.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank smerfette
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is the Napu Rayfont not the other ones which maybe a lot nicer. The descriptions of this place is deceptive.The rooms are small and the bathrooms are full of mildew. Service is poor. When I got there they assigned me to a one bed room when I paid for a 2 bed. They did give me a 2 bed when I pointed it out. While in the lobby two other customers I talked to were being incorrectly charged and had to contact their agent in Europe to correct.

Pool and gym are not in the same building but in a courtyard of a residential complex. It is not as nice as the photos suggests.

Location is good since you are close to a couple subway stations. And on the weekends there are food.vendors in the morning on the street. But the hotel is right.next to slums.

I would not stay here again if I have too. But if I just needed a place to crash and not care about amenities, customer service, and cleanliness- it is a good value.

• Stayed May 2012

Travelers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at the Rayfont hotel for three weeks on a recent trip to Shanghai. The hotel is definitely not a 4-star hotel so please temper your expectations. Location is ok... close to the number 4 and number 8 lines. In Shanghai, getting around is all about metro unless you want to take a taxi everywhere - about 10 minutes walk to the number 4 Nanpu Bridge station - which I warn you doesn't come as often as say a number 2 line and you could be doing a lot of transferring lines.

Good:
Price.
Location is ok.
Close to Walmart.
Hotel staff seem friendly and spoke english,
Room size is about right.

Bad:
Hardest Bed I've ever slept on.
Towels and pillow case had holes in them.
I think I got bug bites while sleeping.
Balcony is pretty filthy.
Still smelled smoke even though non-smoking room.
Last two days I was there... sink and toilet water was brown. Very nasty.

I paid $25 per night for my stay - so I paid cheap and that is exactly what you get. If you expect a 4 or 5 star experience, you will pay $100-200. I think you need to understand that. I'm pretty into camping and the outdoors so I was able to overlook some of the deficiencies of this hotel but if you need soft pillows and bed - and a 4 star hotel, this is not for you. There is the saying... You get what you pay for... and in my case, I got a $25 a night hotel.

In all... I didn't have a bad experience and just slept there at nights... and it wasn't all bad. I think the big one that I have a hard time overlooking is brown water from the sink and toilet... please use bottle water to brush your teeth!

I will likely not stay here again. I think I will want to stay closer to the city center next time.

Room Tip: chose non-smoking....
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

we were 5 days there, the room was so so small you barely have space for you luggages.
the beds were hard as rocks. and u can find spiderwebs in each corner, didnt look well cleaned.
We ask for a non smoking room bu as soon u were inthe floor you see pleople smoking and the smell its really strong.
The receptionists at night dont speak enought english. the internet speed is terrible. i guess for the price its ok. But not a 4 start hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

I stayed at the Rayfont for one night at the end of a tour across China in late November 2011. Knowing that hotels in Shanghai can be expensive, I took a leap of faith on the Rayfont, as the price was great (US$35/night), it was rated a four-star, plus it had a gym and swimming pool, and was (seemingly) on the Bund.

For my money, I got a very decent (albeit quite compact) room with a balcony. The swimming pool looks good in the pictures but is a bit drab, and not attached to the hotel, but about 100 metres away. The term South Bund is a bit of a misnomer - it is pretty far from the core part of the Bund, although taxis are fairly cheap in Shanghai. The subway is about a 10-minute walk, which is a pain when you have a rolling suitcase. As far as the neighbourhood goes, it is a bit far from the action, but has a Chinese Wal-Mart, KFC, street food vendors and a smallish shopping mall that seems to be almost completely geared to apparel (likely to get a better deal than in the main shopping areas of the city).

Pros: Great price; decent amenities, balcony. Free Internet computer in the lobby.
Cons: Far from city centre and subway station. Not a very interesting neighbourhood.

If I had to do it all over again, I would stay closer to the city centre, in a place like the 3-star Nanjing Hotel which is where our tour group was housed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo