“Friendly Staff, 3 blocks from East Nanjing”

Shanghai Fish Inn Bund
Ranked #92 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Out stay was decent as the location of the hotel is only a few minutes walk to the busy East Nanjing road.

The rooms are decent, but a bit dated. The pillows are thin, and so are the towels. They make-up your bed everyday but if you wake up a little late, you'll have to ask them as the cleaning lady doesn't come back if she passes by your room early during the day and you're still there. One thing I didn't like was that they don't change the sheets - but you get what you pay for.

Also, it's worth noting that the walls are thin so you do hear other guests in their rooms occasionally.

Over-all a decent hotel with very friendly staff. I would recommend it as a budget hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank primopen

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Having read a few of the recent reviews, I will try to focus on some info that is not already well covered - such as how to get to the accommodation etc.

We stayed in a standard room which was about AUD$39 per night. Standard rooms are quite basic (there are deluxe and suite rooms on offer too) but the standard room still had good amenity and is clean and pleasant. We had to ask for extra pillows (the two provided were a bit too flat for us) but the king bed was very comfy. Remember that the Chinese like their beds HARD. Bed linen was very clean and comfortable. Aircon was effective and reliable. Standard rooms do not have much hanging space, no drawers or storage for clothes. However there is a kettle and tea provided, a hairdryer, TV and desk. There is also a laundry service. The bathroom has basic soaps in dispensers and the towels are clean if very thin. The rooms are cleaned daily. They will change bedclothes on request. The room was a non smoking one and unlike many Chinese hotels didn't smell like stale cigarettes - which is a real plus. The windows are double glazed and so the rooms were really quiet.

TIPS: There are simple breakfast foods available at reception, but give that a miss and make sure you grab your breakfast on Ningbo Rd. Xiao long bao and sheng jian at Yang's - $1 each for 6 are a great start. The streetfood is also perfect to grab and go on the way to the metro for your day out. Don't miss the cong you bing (spring onion pancakes) sold all along Ningbo and mantou from Babi on the corner of Ningbo and Middle Henan Rds. There are also noodles and other dumplings etc sold all along Ningbo Rd. No one speaks a word of English so just make sure you master a few words and phrases and can count in Chinese. Pointing and saying zhè gè (djegguh) - yīgè (eeguhr) or liǎng gè (leeahng guhr) will do mostly.

A left turn off Ningbo Rd will find you on Shanxi St which leads down to East Nanjing Rd. There are a few great places to eat along there. There are several small local type restaurants with English or picture menus. The English menus are worth a visit in themselves. It reminds us how our mangled Mandarin tones must sound to the Chinese. The food is good local fare at local prices. We didn't see many Laowei there despite the fabulous menus, mainly locals on the way through grabbing a bite - it is an economical feed. Between the street food for breakfast which will fill you up for about 6 -10 kuai (AUD$1 -$2) and dinner at one of these local haunts for $5 a plate, you can make Shanghai a considerably less expensive city to visit. Also don't miss the Shaanxi sandwiches (Rou Jia Mo) on this street - 7 Y (AUD$1.50) for a hearty feed - toasted wheat flour flat bread stuffed by finely braised and chopped pork with powdered cumin, coriander and chili mixed through some green chopped leaves. So. Good.

Room Tip: Standard roms are quite basic - go for a deluxe or suite if you want more frills.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Phoebe C
Reviewed June 18, 2013

If you are taking Metro Line, from exit 2 turn left and keep walking, Nanjing Pedestrian street is on your right. Cross 2 street then you will see and hospital (is a bank formerly). If is from exit 5, cross the road and go straight. If you are taking a cab, is either drop in front of it or at the junction between Beijing east Road and Middle Henan Road (hospital is there). Nearby Suzhou creek (less than 1minute).

We are staying in a 3bedroom apartment. No escalator as it is like in between the ground and 1st floor. Luckily the staff helps us to bring the luggage. There is a separate bathroom, washroom and living room. There is a standard 2 seat sofa at the living room. The place is clean and is a pleasant stay.

The staff is friendly with a cheerful smile and helpful. They help us call the taxi, send our clothes for laundry and provide us some travel information too.

p/s: walking along the Suzhou creek to the bund, a bit far but is away from the crowd. You will see some nice buildings like Yuanxin Tian Hall & Former Rowing Club.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Avicemine
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I booked thru expedia.com after reading the positive reviews here. I did 2 bookings, May 16-20 ($188.08 non breakfast; suite 211); and then my last night at Shanghai for June 2 ($48 non breakfast; room 304). I requested non smoking room since I suffer of ashtma and it was one of my worries reading about hotels in China.

I stayed in 2 different rooms. The first was a suite #211 and the second was room #304. See pictures. The lady at check in on May 16 said that the couple that booked the suite wanted a regular room (perhaps due to the stairs/layot of the suite) and since I needed the non smoking room, they were given me suite #211.

Positives:
+Great location. From Airport line 2 (7rmb) to east nanjing road. Take exit #2 or exit #5. The advantage of taking exit 2 is that it has an scalator so if you bring bags, you dont have to carry them...like on exit 5. Once you are out of the metro, turn left walking up on Middle Henan Road. you will cross 3 instersections (everyone walking in China crosses on red, I always waited until it was green to cross the street), and is on your right side. As other reviewers said is right next to the overpass....once I was getting closer, I asked this young girl and she said, follow me, and the hotel was there...is like 10 min walk from exit #2 or Exit#5. From this location you can walk to the Bund (~15min) and you can walk to the pedestrian area of Nanjing road. I never used a taxi while in Shanghai, I used the metro to go everywhere!
+Best customer service. There is one girl that speaks great english, and she was always there in the morning. Every question that I had, they answered politely and with lots of energy and good humor. One early morning, there was a gentleman there (~5am) and his english was limited, but he managed to explain to me how to get a train to Suzhou. I have only great things to say about their customer service and how helpful they are. They also gave me food recommendations, since there are many options near the hotel. That metro station has a starbucks, a fruit smoothie location, bakery, etc, etc. Also there are some dumplings/soup areas near the hotel. Very convenient to start your day.
+fast check in. Deposit is 200 rmb. This is usual across China. All hotel requested a deposit. I used my credit card for this. At the end of the stay, they void this charge...so you have to hand over your credit card again for them to remove the 200 rmb charge.
+Lift, regular size as any other European lift, i was able to fit fine with my carry on and big backpack.
+comfortable bed.
+lots of hot water ..as other reviewer mentioned, the water pressure changes (at least I notice this on room #304...so you might need to adjust it...i didnt have any problems on room 211
+I left my bag on May 20 and picked it up on June 2. They kept it safe and sound without any extra charges.
+I felt my rooms never smell like smoke. I noticed that the hotel leaves the door open once a customer has check out...maybe this helps to keep the rooms airy...because China in general has some air pollution issues. :(
+The room has 2 tootbrushes, comb, soap/shampoo, hairdryer, 2 water bottles, TV there is only 1 English channel (CCTV?) and this channel has sometimes American shows, and sometimes some sort of touristic show about cuisines/restaurants, and locations to visit in China. The suite had 2 air conditioning units. I only used the one on the living room. I also felt that in room #304 the A/C wasn't as good as the AC on suite #211. Because in Suite#211 i left the AC on 19-20; and on room #304 I had to put on 17!
+very clean, all bathroom, blankets, towels
+Is a great value, and I will recommend to other friends.

Neutral:
Skinny towels... :( They should charge$3 more per night and get those big fluffy towels :)

Negatives:
Thin walls. Bring earplugs, or your ipod. I always buy a pack of earplugs at my local walmart/target and it cost < $5 and it makes all my trips a lot more enjoyable...since you never know who your neighbors will be

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank panedu50
Reviewed May 30, 2013

After reading all the "good to excellent" reviews of this hotel, i decided to stayed in this hotel during my 7 days holiday in Shanghai from May 21st to May 27th. I have to agree with everyone here that this is indeed a reasonable priced, quiet, convenient and comfortable to stay hotel. The Deluxe King One Bed (room 307) that i stayed has a balcony. Frankly i dislike sleeping in an air-con room that is so cold that i have to cover myself with a blanket from head to toes and wearing thick clothing. The air-con(very quiet) in the room that i stayed is just prefect for me. I have travel many times to many Asian countries and never once did i ever hand my passport to the hotel reception for safe keeping. For this trip very odd i did it. I decide to check-out early from the hotel 4 hrs before flight check-in time because i want to beat the lunch time crowd(taking Subway) and also i am afraid it may rain again. Walk(10 mins) from hotel to East Nanjing Rd station and then take Subway line 2(7 rmb) to Pudong Airport, change from 8 carriages train to a 4 carriages train at Guanglan station. The train journey is one hour and 5 minutes. I reached airport 3 hours before check-in time. Had lunch in one of the airport restaurant. Never realized i have forgotten to collect my passport back from the hotel reception until when time for check-in. Panic, because it is too late for me to rush back to the hotel so i called the hotel and the hotel staff(did not ask her name) took the extra miles by driving all the way from hotel to the airport with my passport in hand 15 minutes before check-in counter close. She refuse any compensation from me for her efforts. Phew! that was a close shave. Once again i like to thanks the staff who save my day. Honestly, even without this incident happen, i will still recommend this hotel to friends and i will stay in this hotel if i visit Shanghai again in the near future.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 307 with balcony. You can speak to your next door guests in the balcony because it...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank anthyho
Reviewed May 30, 2013

It was our last city and hotel during our trip to China. It is located close to the city center, on a side street, parallel to the bigger one (so it was a little difficult to find it - but later it was pretty easy).

The hotel is pretty small and quiet. We had a room on the ground floor, next to the reception. In fact there were 2 rooms with a bathroom. The room was clean and comfortable as well as bathroom.

We were surprised by the girls working at the reception because they spoke very good english (what is not common in China). They were very helpful, gave us a city map. We also talked with them a little, they helped us to find some chineese pop music mp3. Do you know that in China you can download mp3 for free (legally!).

We ate breakfast there (very good), visited some places in Shanghai and went back to our country.

But someday we'll come back to China. For sure...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank komalo
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in April. It is a difficult place to find, with only a small entrance which is difficult to see from the main road.
Reception is very poorly lit and took a while to check in. There were two girls on reception. There English was quite limited. We booked breakfast for 6.00am although it doesn't normally start until 7.30 as we needed an early start. When we got down to reception at 5.50 the young man on reception, with very little English 'said breakfast at 7.30'. We explained that the night before we had arranged breakfast for 6.00am. Eventually he went off to prepare breakfast for us. At 6.25 he arrived with greasy fried eggs and ham. He tried his best.
We took a very small lift to our room on the third floor. It was only big enough for two people but at least it was working.
The bedroom wasn't very spacious. It had a good sized double bed with dressing table and TV. The bed was reasonably comfortable. The lighting wasn't good and it was a bit dusty.
The bathroom was a good size with a large shower cubicle. It had soap, shower gel and toothbrushes, which is useful if you forget your own.
For what we paid it was good value and in a handy location for shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends