“Nice hotel but with limitations” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Hotel Shanghai

Ocean Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #98 of 4,966 Hotels in Shanghai
San Francisco, California
“Nice hotel but with limitations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel recently and enjoyed a nice room, good buffet breakfast but frustrating not to have wi-fi in a modern hotel in this day and age....couldn't connect from my room even with the LAN connection.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DavidPSanFrancisco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
martian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great value and very nice hotel. My room had a view (granted, a smoggy view, but what in Shanghai isn't?) of the river. Wonderful buffet breakfast...but, hey, I am American. What buffet breakfast isn't wonderful? lol

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MartianGranola
tacoma, wa USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel is in an area that is undergoing renovation. The hotel recently has gone over some renovation and the neighborhood is beginning to. It is a quick ride by taxi to the downtown area. The hotel is oriented more toward Chinese travelers than others. The current neighborhood behind the hotel is an interesting place to wander through. One building not too far from it was pointed out as being in the old Jewish quarter. Our room was small. The bathroom was small and had a very large window above the bathtub that looked out to the rest of the bedroom in an effort to make it look bigger. Mirrors all around had the same effect. The service was a bit tight with the toilet paper and soap. For two of us, we had one little round bar. Breakfast was included on our tour. It was fine but not as good as others that we have had in other cities. I could not get scrambled eggs - they put out fried ones for people to pick up. Internet service was offered but it was expensive for one half hour. A few people in our group wanted wi-fi and they walked out into the parking lot and picked up some signal there! There is no ATM. There is a sort of post office nearby that had an ATM but it wouldn 't accept our travel money cards or credit cards.

Room Tip: There are rooms that are sort of suites that are closer to the elevators. They have king size beds...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Fresno
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

This hotel was decent and I would maybe stay here again. This hotel did not have any type of free internet service, not even in the lobby. I was willing to pay for internet, I was told that the first thirty minutes of wifi were free, but there was still a password required. So I went to the lobby to get the password and the employee told me 'not free, pay!' Ok, whatever. So I told her I would pay, that I didn't have a problem with paying, could I pay her? or did she need a credit card to bill the room? Pretty much how do I get the password to log on. So then she says that I need to go to the business center to get the password. So where's the business center I ask, well it's closed and won't be open until tomorrow morning. If that's not overtly complicated, then I don't know what is. So screw it. Too much of a hassle. Aside from the front desk and person at the breakfast buffet, everyone else was very friendly and approachful. My room was very nice. I had a kign size bed which was super comfy. My bathroom was awesome, and I did have a rotating TV. I also had a living room area with a couch, little table and desk. I was on the 17th floor and had a good view. Location was also good and close to the Bund area. Taxi cab ride was just 20 RMB to shopping areas. My husband used the gym and he liked its facility. I did happen to see the pool and it was a very good size.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Los Alamos, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with my tour group and had few of the issues that others complained about. The room was large and clean, the breakfast was great, but the internet was costly.

I think there are different qualities of rooms and depending on what is going on during the time you stay, you might get upgraded free. I was booked for a standard room, which is the basic bed and bathroom, small space. I was upgraded to the large suite many of talked about with the living area, bedroom area, and bathrooms in large separate spaces. The room had a large number of outlets, great for charging up all the different electronics we all travel with. The internet was free for the first 30 minutes a day, 80 Yeun for the next 23.5 hours (not that much compared to US rates)

The breakfast was large and accommodating. The had a great mix of american style cereals and Asian style food. Fresh fruit and bread were always replaced and fresh. Coffee was the best while I was traveling throughout Asia.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed there for 3 days while on business. The room and the view were great but the breakfast was really poor - no money for value at all. Additionally, I had to pay extra for everything including broadband. All the extra services (food, laundry) ended up being ridiculously expensive after the hotel added a lot of hidden charges. Food delivered in the room was extremely poor. Not good value for money really

Room Tip: Better not to spend any more money in the hotel. I
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lina S
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Shanghai Ocean Hotel, which is a 4-star property, is well located near the Huangpu River. I stayed there three nights with my tour group, China Focus.
I really enjoyed my large room on the 12th floor. It was very bright and very clean. It had a wonderful view of Shanghai as well.
My room had a king-size bed with a white, comfortable duvet. Two night tables, one with a telephone, were situated on each side of the bed. A flat-screen TV with cable faced the bed so I could watch the news or a movie in bed using the remote control.
A large, elegant writing desk with a matching chair was provided. Atop the desk was a laptop computer with free broadband (30 minutes every 24 hours. I sure wished that the hotel provided free WiFi, but that’s a rarity at most Shanghai hotels.) Many electric outlets were provided above the desk on the left side.
The room also had a comfy easy chair and a matching love seat. The closet was equipped with a safe, two bathrobes, two pairs of slippers, and plenty of drawers and good-quality hangars.
The bathroom, which was spotless, included a bathtub and shower, commode, sink, large mirror, hair dryer, and plenty of soap, shampoos, hair conditioners, and body lotions.
The buffet breakfast was truly a treat. Set in a large, elegant dining room, there was a great variety of both Western and Chinese dishes. It was a feast fit for a king or queen.
I really enjoyed myself at this very nice hotel in Shanghai.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo