“Room a bit tired, but excellent and cheerful service”

Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong
Ranked #126 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
“Room a bit tired, but excellent and cheerful service”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed here for one night on points, in order to make an early morning flight back to the USA after a week's stay in Hangzhou.

Decent location. Very close to a metro station, near the financial district, and not too far from the Bund.

Service is outstanding, willing and fast:

* I bought a bottle of cold TsingTao at the Family Mart across the street. They offered to have room service drop one off, but then propose getting a bottle opener from the bar to pop it open downstairs. Since I was going to consume the bottle immediately, that was fine with me.
* If you need a taxi during the day, one of the doormen will jump out to the sidewalk and flag one down in a jiffy.
* Getting advice about transit times into PVG is a short 1 question and 1 answer conversation.
* Setting up a wakeup call and scheduling a taxi for the next morning is a 60 second operation.

As far as the room goes, it was very clean and smelled fine when we got in. The air conditioner was running without the room key, so the room was already cooled down when we got in. The bathroom is excellent, and

The only issue one could have with the room is that it was not in great condition:

* There are lumps under the carpet.
* Also, there are yarns pulled out from from the carpet.
* The woodwork has gotten dinged up.
* There are shiny, sticky spots on some of the vertical surfaces like adhesive that wasn't completely removed.

That being said, the room is probably in better shape than my house was when I bought it.

Room Tip: High up is better to reduce traffic noise. There is 10 lanes of traffic on the west side of the bui...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Elaine B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to complete our online questionnaire.

I was very pleased to learn from our guest feedback that you rated us. It was great to read your comments referring to hotel location, room condition and great staff as this is what we aspire to. We will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

If there are any associates or event made you feel special during your stay, Please also kindly to share with us, it would be pleasure to convey your comments to my colleagues and recognize their efforts.

Thank you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Pro: convenient ground transportation, subway station next door; The surround area was residential, there was a KFC and a McDonald's cross the streets, but to cross the street you have to use the pedestrian bridge. the hotel was a little dated compared to many other newly established four points in China, but the hotel room was clean and comfortable, bath robe and slipper were provided as most western hotels in China did.

Con: I was not impressed by the service, for example, I had to wait a while for the checkin, Checkin process is usually longer in China because the staff had to take your passport make a copy etc. But this front desk lady "chat" a little too long with the previous guests while keeping other guests waiting in line. We booked two rooms. The hotel provided mouth wash in our room, but not in my relatives' room. I thought there should be no difference on hotel amenities no matter if you are an elite member or not. It was a small detail, but it said something about the hotel service

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
NancyC974, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, May 7, 2014

I was very pleased to learn from our guest feedback that you rated us. It was great to read your comments referring to hotel facilities and condition as this is what we aspire to. Pleaese extend my sincere apology for your valuable comments which related with hotel service. The management team has been alerted and certainly more attention been taken on retraining. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are always striving achieve.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights but it was the longest 4 days of my life to date.
The front desk was a little overwhelmed as we had 5 people arriving at the same time and they only had 2 staff at front desk...one with limited conversational English.
The room did not bring any comfort. The vinyl on the headboard was peeling, there's grime in the toilet although housekeeping may have tried their best to get rid of it. The air-conditioning takes time to cool. There's only one cafe and a Chinese restaurant in this property. The hotel is near many eateries and a local shopping mall. For the adventurous, you may seek out food in the numerous local restaurants around. For those not too keen to venture, not to worry...McDonald's just opposite the street. Costa coffee is another welcoming option.
Well, the concierge service was not bad though.
Nevertheless, I doubt that I will return to Four Points Pudong anytime soon.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us candid comments.

I wish to take this opportunity to extend my sincere apology for your valuable comments which related with service. The management team has been alerted and certainly more attention been taken on retraining. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are always striving achieve.

Please accept our apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you. I know that we can do better.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit again.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I used points to book this hotel and got a GREAT rate for my $/points value. Something around $0.05 USD / point. Now that is great.

Next question is was the room actually worth the rate listed of $150USD a night? (Taxes inc). IMHO it wasn't. SPG recognition here is excellent and I was upgrade to the suite right next to the Lounge. Yes another thing to note is this Four Points actually does have a lounge.

However the room was very old, so was the "newly opened" lounge. I had a lot of trouble operating the shower. Yes immediately call the operator to find out how to operate the shower when you get there. Not sure if this is the same for deluxe/standard rooms.

Room service was nothing to shout about too. And when I arrived at night 12am there was no doormen to help with luggage. Just one person at the check-in desk. Service however was very good, from room service patiently recommending me food and getting the kitchen to prepare a pasta dish not on the "overnight" menu, to the staff at the lounge and the doormen getting me a taxi the very next day.

I had to extend my stay for a day and chose to move to another SPG property instead. Will I come back again? Yes if most/all the other properties in the vicinity (including this four points) has rates that are through the roof only then will I use points to return.

1 Thank BryanHuangPFS
NancyC974, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, April 8, 2014

I wish to take this opportunity to extend my sincere apology for your valuable comments which related with hotel facility and service. The management team has been alerted and certainly more attention been taken on retraining. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are always striving achieve.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit again.
Switzerland
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Nice service great rooms. Good value for monney. Only drawback a bit out of the center to enjoy shanghai. I would move the hotel if it would be possible. All is clean and nice. Not hesitation if you life taxi life and friendly nice hotel

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
NancyC974, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, March 28, 2014

I was very pleased to learn from the scores that you rated us, even though we may have succeeded in meeting your expectations this time, we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Four points is a good hotel in the Pudong area. The rooms are large and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. The only point which was a problem as a vegetarian was that the food was smelling a bit of fish. But the restaurant staff were more than helpful to help change it etc. All in all a comfortable hotel to stay in

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

I was very pleased to learn from our guest feedback that you rated us. It was great to read your comments referring to room condition and great staff as this is what we aspire to. For your valuable comments which related with food, the management team has been alerted. We will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Good View from the hotel of the River. Services are hygienic and free internet & Wifi. A stay was completely rest. Taxi, Local train all the public transport are nearby. Shopping hub is near by. The hotel has good rooms and you can relax. Courteous staff and comfortable services.

Room Tip: Rooms from the back side view are awesome...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
NancyC974, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, March 14, 2014

I was very pleased to learn from our guest feedback that you rated us. It was great to read your comments referring to nice facilities, hotel condition and great staff as this is what we aspire to. We will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.