“Aged, old but good service.”

Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong
Ranked #126 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“Aged, old but good service.”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I used points to book this hotel and got a GREAT rate for my $/points value. Something around $0.05 USD / point. Now that is great.

Next question is was the room actually worth the rate listed of $150USD a night? (Taxes inc). IMHO it wasn't. SPG recognition here is excellent and I was upgrade to the suite right next to the Lounge. Yes another thing to note is this Four Points actually does have a lounge.

However the room was very old, so was the "newly opened" lounge. I had a lot of trouble operating the shower. Yes immediately call the operator to find out how to operate the shower when you get there. Not sure if this is the same for deluxe/standard rooms.

Room service was nothing to shout about too. And when I arrived at night 12am there was no doormen to help with luggage. Just one person at the check-in desk. Service however was very good, from room service patiently recommending me food and getting the kitchen to prepare a pasta dish not on the "overnight" menu, to the staff at the lounge and the doormen getting me a taxi the very next day.

I had to extend my stay for a day and chose to move to another SPG property instead. Will I come back again? Yes if most/all the other properties in the vicinity (including this four points) has rates that are through the roof only then will I use points to return.

1 Thank BryanHuangPFS
NancyC974, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us candid comments.

I wish to take this opportunity to extend my sincere apology for your valuable comments which related with hotel facility and service. The management team has been alerted and certainly more attention been taken on retraining. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are always striving achieve.

Please accept our apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you. I know that we can do better.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Switzerland
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Nice service great rooms. Good value for monney. Only drawback a bit out of the center to enjoy shanghai. I would move the hotel if it would be possible. All is clean and nice. Not hesitation if you life taxi life and friendly nice hotel

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
NancyC974, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to complete our online questionnaire.

I was very pleased to learn from the scores that you rated us, even though we may have succeeded in meeting your expectations this time, we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

If there are any associates or event made you feel special during your stay, Please also kindly to share with us, it would be pleasure to convey your comments to my colleagues and recognize their efforts.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Four points is a good hotel in the Pudong area. The rooms are large and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. The only point which was a problem as a vegetarian was that the food was smelling a bit of fish. But the restaurant staff were more than helpful to help change it etc. All in all a comfortable hotel to stay in

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

I was very pleased to learn from our guest feedback that you rated us. It was great to read your comments referring to room condition and great staff as this is what we aspire to. For your valuable comments which related with food, the management team has been alerted. We will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Good View from the hotel of the River. Services are hygienic and free internet & Wifi. A stay was completely rest. Taxi, Local train all the public transport are nearby. Shopping hub is near by. The hotel has good rooms and you can relax. Courteous staff and comfortable services.

Room Tip: Rooms from the back side view are awesome...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
NancyC974, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, March 14, 2014

I was very pleased to learn from our guest feedback that you rated us. It was great to read your comments referring to nice facilities, hotel condition and great staff as this is what we aspire to. We will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

London
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in August 2013 for a one night stopover between the UK and Australia. From the start we were happy with our choice- it is very convenient to get to from the airport as it is right next to a metro station (the Shanghai metro is brilliant, very new and clean!) and you can take the Maglev from the airport to another station to connect with the line this hotel is next to. Arriving at the hotel we were greeted warmly at the door and also at the front desk. Our room was a really good size, adorned with an amazingly large shower (compared to some hotels in Europe) and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, making for a great nights sleep which was much appreciated after a 12 hour flight. The breakfast was great, with plenty of variety. It was extremely warm on this visit and so we were very glad the hotel had very effective air conditioning. Shanghai itself is such a wonderful city to visit with so much to see and so much to experience and the hotel capped it off nicely. Highly recommended for those who want a touch of class with an affordable price tag.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NancyC974, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, February 13, 2014

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 14, 2014

As mentioned by other reviewers this is a functional hotel, with newish clean rooms, a comfy bed, an acceptable breakfast and working internet, more or less what you expect from the Four Points brand of Sheraton. If you want the best, stay at in a business suite room at the Sheraton next door, that is outstanding (see my previous review). But it will cost you nearly 2x. So that's it, you pay your money and take your choice.... for me, I would stay at the Four Points again next time I am in Shanghai, unless it's full then I will have to "bite the bullet" and stay at the Sheraton.

Room Tip: High floor back side will minimise the sound of honking car horns in the morning.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
NancyC974, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, January 16, 2014

Milwaukee
Reviewed December 19, 2013

What a joke of a hotel! Like the Title suggests, stay elsewhere.

Value: the value admittedly is there, its less expensive than other hotels in the area but you get what you pay for. (based on the online rates)

I did give high marks for Value but again at what trade off? At every opportunity this hotel and its staff failed.

Check-in: Taxi dropped me off at the “side-lobby”, No awning to cover from the rain, No staff to help with getting luggage up the stairs, when inside, no signs what so ever to direct you to the Front Desk that is over to the left and around the corner out of sight. I waited to check-in while 3 employees were behind the counter on one side and 1 helping guest on the other side. The 3 not helping a guest looked up at me without saying anything and looked back down to what they were doing, as if on purpose not to engage me. Is a simple and courteous greeting “hello, someone will be right with you” to much to ask from employees working in the Hospitality industry? I guess it is, because when I finally approached the desk, the woman didn’t even look up, just said “Checking Out”. Shows me she’s very astute about her current guests. After telling her I was checking in and handed over my passport, she took it and proceeded to check me in, never looking up once, oh wait - she did look up when she reached for my credit card. Slid the room keys over the counter, and stated the floor I’m on. As a year over year Platinum member with over 260 nights, never have I been checked in at a hotel, SPG or not, without ever hearing “hello” or ever making eye contact. Maybe she was just bitter that her co-workers were too busy on their cell phones and she had to do 2 consecutive check-ins.

Room: OK – the AC didn’t work that well had to open windows to cool the room. Internet speed was slow too.

Concierge: 3 different interactions with him, all 3 were delivered with rudeness and incompetence. Asked a simple question about taxi ride times and he would yell to the front desk for answer, they would yell back, then again when I asked another question. I finally just went to the front desk and asked directly, strange a concierge in Shanghai knows nothing about the Bund. Anyway, Every reply from front desk “10 – 15 minutes” regardless of where I asked, as it’s not my first time in Shanghai I knew these were wrong. I left went to the Sheraton across the parking drive and got my answers – correctly answered.

Food: Lunch Buffet – The food was good, fresh, hot, good selection. However, the Noodle Soup station needs massive help! Not with the offering but with the employee. He handed me a dirty bowl to choose my ingredients with, I wanted a clean bowl. He said no, use these. Now I know he was only using those bowls to collect ingredients and didn’t serve with them, however, how many different hands touched those bowls? If I’m going to eat something I don’t want to put it in a bowl that has been touched and used by several random people prior to me. He huffed in disgust that I insisted to give me a clean bowl to use. Slammed it down after, I went to look for his name. He noticed this and turned so I could see it as he knew what I was doing. When I went to collect my noodles his name tag was conveniently missing now. Asked about him as I left, Winston or Wilson was his name, he should not be allowed to handle food as he knows nothing about proper hygiene, he should also never have contact with hotel guests with an attitude such as his!

Overall: Stay Elsewhere! Every employee interaction was met with rudeness or incompetence. Typically I receive an email after a stay with a request to take a survey. It doesn’t surprise me I didn’t receive one after this stay. Why would this Hotel, or management of this hotel care about my stay after when they didn’t care about it while I was there. When a guest interacts with a Hotel employee, it is not an interruption of that employees job, it is its purpose. This hotel needs new management, as it is their fault the employees treat guest the way they do.

After checking out, I almost expected the doorman to spit on my shoe as entered a taxi to leave. Surprising enough, as I was leaving, the doorman was the first smile, the first hello and the only person that was helpful at this property.

Room Tip: "Add a tip to help travelers choose a good room" Choose a different hotel is my tip.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JahKim
NancyC974, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, December 24, 2013

I wish to take this opportunity to extend my sincere apology for your valuable comments which related with hotel staff service. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are always striving achieve. I have copied our management who will address the issue with related departments. The management team has been alerted and certainly more attention been taken on retraining.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit again.