“Bed food quality in restaurants”

Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong
Ranked #126 of 5,111 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed in this hotel last year and this year. It is near a subway station, but slightly away from major business centers. The hotel rooms were clean and stuff was friendly. However, the food in the hotel restaurant was not well prepared. I had sushi buffet in the roof-top restaurant that had the beautiful view, but late on in the evening and whole week afterward, I had diarrhea that even medicines could not stop it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residenceand Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us your candid comments.

I am disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations and have taken particular note of your suggestions regarding food security. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are always striving achieve and we will investigate and remedy our practices to ensure we do better.

Mr. lifetraveller123, please accept our apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you and we do hope to have an opportunity to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and you are welcome to contact either myself or hotel management at any time we can assist to ensure your complete wellbeing in travel.

There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Of all the hotels I have stayed in in China, this is the worst. After a long and delayed flight from the UK and an hour transfer (via pre-booked hotel limousine service), we had to queue for 20mins for check-in, only to be told we were too early (the hotel had collected us from the airport so our arrival should not have been a surprise to them!). They advised We would need to wait 1-2hours and suggested that we relaxed in the bar (it was 10am!). We did this for a while until we saw the bill for our coffee - £11 for 2 cups! The duty manager eventually agreed to waive the bar bill and suggested that we upgraded our rooms so we could then have these straight away. I explained that the hotel was well aware of our arrival time, our rooms had been pre-paid and I was not prepared to pay any more. This spurred him in to action and suddenly our rooms became available. The rooms are drab and in need of refurbishment but comfortable enough when you are exhausted. We really only stayed here to take advantage of the free shuttle bus to the Sheraton Ningbo but in hindsight I would have preferred to stay in a nicer hotel and pay for a taxi transfer! Service at the hotel was poor (no porterage) or even assistance loading luggage on to the transfer bus, English was not spoken or understood by many of the Staff, the location was dire and the food generally was poor - the breakfast buffet in particular. There is a currency exchange machine in reception which I could not get to work on he day of our arrival and when I asked for help, the guy just shrugged hus shoulders and grinned..........Definitely will not return here.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

On behalf of Mrs.Helen Hao, the Hotel Manager of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to complete our online questionnaire.

I must apologize for the disappointment you received from your recent stay. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are always striving achieve. I have copied our Front Office Manager in charge of Front Desk and Consierge, Mrs.Cherry Cai who will address the issue with operation team and our restaurant manager will also address the breakfast quality issue with chef. In regards to currency exchange machine, we will call the bank to fix it immediately and hopeful to having found a solution, which we will then execute in the near future.

Mr. Worldtraveller2902, please accept our apologies for the disappointment and we do hope to have an opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future and you are welcome to contact either myself or Mrs. Helen Hao at any time we can assist to ensure your complete wellbeing in travel.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have stayed at many hotels in Shanghai over the past ten years. Most deliver good service and reasonable value. I recently stayed two nights at the Sheraton Four Points hotel in Pudong. I was extremely disappointed in the experience from check-in to check-out. The hotel delivered disappointing service, inadequate restaurants, worn-out facilities and excessive charges.

The problem started shortly after I arrived at the hotel. I had to wait in queue for 20 minutes before I could check-in. There were two young ladies working at the front desk. The lines were not very long, but the registration process for each guest was long and protracted. After completing the paperwork I was finally given a card key for the room. I went to the room and discovered I was assigned to a SMOKING Suite. The air in the room was foul and smelled extremely bad. I would not imagine staying in such as dirty and offensive room.

I immediately requested a non-smoking suite. I waited in the room for a few minutes while the hotel staff checked on a new room. A suite was not available, so I accepted the non-smoking standard room. The new room provided the basic features, albeit a bit outdated and worn.
The big surprise came when I checked out two days later. Upon reviewing the bill I saw the charge was 1265 RMB for a suite. I pointed out the error on the bill. I knew the price for the standard room was 700 RMB and not the 1265 RMB on my bill. The young lady said she could not change the price since my original reservation was for a suite room. After a short debate the reservation manager was called to the front desk. He would not change the bill and insisted I pay the higher price.

I was also disappointed in the restaurants at this hotel. I ate two meals at the hotel; both were poor quality, stale, and overpriced. The first meal was a lunch at the Oriental 29 on the upper floor. The restaurant offers a reasonable view of the river. However, the menu was limited, the tables dirty and the wait staff inexperienced. I ordered a Caprese Salad. The tomatoes were drenched in oil and covered with frozen mozzarella cheese. A culinary disaster from the kitchen priced at over $15. I later understood the reason why I was the only person in the restaurant at noon.

I also tried the breakfast buffet. The food was basic and bland. A few of the buffet stations were empty and we had to wait for refills. Service of tea and coffee in the breakfast area was slow. The seating area was dim and the bench seats too low for the table; a very uncomfortable dining area. The breakfast buffet was a pricy 147 RMB ($23) per person. Overall, the breakfast buffet was below average compared to other business hotels in Pudong.

In summary, there are many good hotels in Shanghai. This hotel is not among that group.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

On behalf of Mrs. Helen Hao, the Hotel Manager of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to complete our online questionnaire.

I must apologize for the disappointment you received from your recent stay. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are always striving achieve. I have copied our Front Office Manager in charge of Front Desk, Mrs. Cherry Cai who will address the issue with operation staff. And our Director of Food & Beverage in charge of restaurant, Mr. Steven Choy who will also address the issue with restaurant manager. In regards to Check-in service efficiency and restaurant quality, hopeful to having found a solution, which we will then execute in the near future.

Mr. Scott O, please accept our apologies for the disappointment and we do hope to have an opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future and you are welcome to contact either myself or Mrs. Helen Hao at any time we can assist to ensure your complete wellbeing in travel.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

This hotel is located close to lots of store shopping. It has beautiful rooms with unreal comfortable beds. Staff are good at helping convert your money at the front desk. Bathrooms are very clean and roomy.

Room Tip: Get a corner room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank travelleteacher
Elaine B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear travelleteacher, on behalf of Mr. John O’Shea, the Managing Director of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us your valuable comments.

I was very pleased to learn from our guest satisfaction survey that you rated us, even though we may have succeeded in meeting your expectations this time, we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

I would like to take the opportunity for recognizing the efforts of our Front Desk and housekeeping colleagues; it was a pleasure to convey your comments to them.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit again.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I spent 1 nights only at this hotel. No concerns occurred, very good hotel. The only difficulty was to find it, since Four points located at the same complex as Sheraton as is, so taxi driver gives some efforts to find proper entrance))
Room is excellent, equipped as it must to be for 5stars service. Friendly atmosphere at reception, room was kept until my late arrival (around midnight) and check-in. I really appreciate that.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DmitryOK
Elaine B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

Dear DmitryOK, on behalf of Mr. John O’Shea, the Managing Director of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us your valuable comments.

I would like to take the opportunity for recognizing the efforts of our Reception colleagues; it was a pleasure to convey your comments to them.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit again.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

It is nice lovely hotel in shanghai the room are good but a huge language poblem . Found great difficulty in making them understand english . The breakfast is ok ok not good for vegitarians . Beware of the people standing outside the hotel they try to be friendly with you promise you to give good exchange rate and many more but after few min you relise that you are traped in a scam in a county where not many people know you

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gunangadsingh
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Gunangadsingh, on behalf of Mr. John O’Shea, the Managing Director of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us your candid comments.

I am disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations and have taken particular note of your suggestions regarding language problem. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are always striving achieve and we will investigate and remedy our practices to ensure we do better. The service training in our venues is on-going and we will ensure to become more consistent in our service delivery.

Mr. Gunangadsingh, please accept our apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you and we do hope to have an opportunity to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and you are welcome to contact either myself or Mr. O’Shea at any time we can assist to ensure your complete wellbeing in travel.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

The hotel is too close to the main road. I woke up by the loud horns every morning. The hotel was a bit old compares to the other hotels nearby. The decor inside the room is nice but I can hear my neigbhors from both sides all the times. The location is great since it is steps away from subway line #4.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear Garfieldtx, thank you for your comments regarding your early stay with us. Here we sincerely appologize for some of our facility leaving you some uncomfortable experiences and your feedback was forwarded to hotel management immediately for our future improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Four Points is Umcomplicated, Comfortable and Honest.