“My visit to CITEXPO SHANGHAI”

Rhea Boutique Hotel Shanghai Railway Station
Ranked #735 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Chandigarh, India
“My visit to CITEXPO SHANGHAI”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I visited Shanghai to meet tire manufacturers during September 2011 ; CITEXPO.

I stayed four nights in hotel Rhea Shanghai . The hotel is centrally located, walking distance from

Shanghai main railway station , close to Metro station and good markets nearby.

Arun Dutta , India

Room Tip: " they upgraded my room to provide extra facility of computer and free wi fi , without extra ch...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 5, 2011

The hotel was nicely located, and accessible to metro. However, in the neighbourhood, there seems to be no restaurants for late night starving. But there is a small shop just nearby to buy water.

Room is clean, a bit cramped when you order extra bed.

The bathroom is separated to the room with a glass, with a curtain. But i heard this is quite common in China.

The staffs are nice, and english is not a big problem.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here for over 12 nights.. excellent, super fast service! Clean rooms, well lit, well conditioned, not outdated, free wifi or something like that.. sadly I had no good views but I'm not there for the views.

Very prompt maid service at 11am daily. I remember when I was hung over one night and decided to sleep longer the next morning, the lady actually waited outside my door for an hour because I told them to send her at noon. She said she was suppose to get off at noon but wanted to make sure that she cleans my room before she left. I was ashamed of my laziness causing this kind lady to stress out.. so. gave her a fat tip and told her to just change the towels.

The hotel is very honest and helpful in every way. The bellboy even helped me chase down taxis during peak hours. I will definitely stay again IF I were to stay for a long period of time since it's so cheap. Another great advantage is that the subway station is diagonally across the hotel's front door.. and the Shanghai Railway stop is literally 1 stop away by subway. It is super convenient if you decide to take the speed rail to Hangzhou or Suzhou (neighboring cities) .. also the speed rail is new, very clean and only takes 15 minutes to get there traveling over 300 km / hr ? .. yeah really fast the cost is Y90? I don't want to get into it but it's a great deal.

Also.. I love their instant coffee and tea bags .. sure woke me up every morning.

Room Tip: Tell them you don't want the rooms facing the kindergarten.. the kids sing and prance around eve...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cyn_SF
Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We are a retired couple who spent 2 months in China. We staid in 20 hotels. This one was number 16. Whe arrived late around 21h. very tired. We had reserved for a Deluxe room, breakfast included but they told us there was no one left. We insisted as we had already paid for it and finally they found one. This room was small, the shower knob was broken so we could not take a shower and as there was no bath, we could not wash ourself this night. This room was on the side of a construction building that was working 24h a day and... night. So we did not sleep this much. We really felt that they gave us the worst room they had just to get rid of us. The morning after, we complained to the manager and we change room. This one was a real "Deluxe room" with all the comfort: TV with 2 english channels, Internet with cable in the room, good bathroom, etc. on the other side very quiet. During the day, we can find sometime someone speaking english but at night it is finish. The food at the restaurant is good but, for the room service, you have to go at the dining room and show them the picture of the food you want because, by phone, they don't understand a word. The breakfast is mostly "Asian" but you can have fried eggs and toasts. This hotel is closed to the train station (you cannot walk with your luggage to it you have to take a taxi or take the metro for one station) and is just in front of a metro station. This is his only benefit plus the price (69$/night). There is no other service around: restaurant, convenience store, etc. At night, everything is dead around. This hotel is a business hotel for Chinese.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with "odd" number
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed here for two nights April 2011 as a stop over following a Princess Cruise . The place was recommended as central by our tour operator, the Cruise Specialist. It was not as central as we would have like and been willing to pay for - the taxi ride to the centre took anything from 20 to 50 minutes depending on traffic. Taxis are plentiful from this hotel during the day as it is opposite a busy railway station - at night the area is seedy and there are no shops or restaurants in the proximity. This hotel is very close to an elevated road (in fact we looked out at it through the filthy windows of our room) and at night we could hear the traffic, hear the trains and feel the vibrations as they came thudding to a stop in the station opposite . The hotel was grubby.
The carpets in our room had crumbs and nail clippings from several previous guests by the look of it, the corridors were dirty and the whole place stank of stale tobacco - the nylon covered chairs and the bedcover had cigarette burn holes. - The shower was OK - the mini bar was interesting a couple of cans and snacks but a choice of 8 kinds of condoms!

• Stayed April 2011

Travelers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

East Coast
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We stayed at the RHEA Meiyuan Hotel in June 2010. We chose this hotel because it was very close to the Shanghai Railway station.

The nearest metro stop is Hanzhong Rd, and the hotel is on the opposite diagonal corner. The area is quiet at night and there were not many shops in the area, but there is a mall within walking distance (the Kerry Everbright mall) and also some convenience stores.

We had a suite, which proved quite spacious. It was clean and comfortable, and the price was reasonable. Most of the hotel staff do not speak English, although we did encounter one or two who did. I would say that the service was typical of what one would expect in China.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 13, 2010

the hotel was acceptable for convinient location and well equiped room but staff were not very professional and showed insulting attitude! They could not read any english reservations, and the way they solve any english fax or phone calls is to pass it on or just ignore them! They told me i have no reservation there and i should pay for my stay again althought i have already prepaid online. In stead of trying to help me figure out why they can not find my confirmation, they just resisted to help and blaming me verbally for picking the wrong website or faking a confirmation. Later, i had to call USA and talk on the phone with my online reservation custmer service person for an hour trying to figure out why they don't have it. At the end, it was because they did not understand the english confirmation and did not even try to look for my name. It is a very upseting experience and I am very disapointed at their professionalism for this price of hotels.

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo