“Great hotel in Shanghai!”

Les Suites Orient, Bund Shanghai
Ranked #21 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
“Great hotel in Shanghai!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We are on our 3 day vacation in Shanghai and found a gem of a hotel in the Bund area! We stayed at Les Suites Orient hotel and we couldn't be happier! The location is great. We had a room overlooking the river and you can see the Pearl Tower from here. Our room was very modern with amenities like water, slippers, free internet, free breakfast and free 24 hour lounge service. The staff were very helpful and courteous! Special mention is to be made to their concierge Ayumi! She was very helpful in printing out all the places that we can go to so that we can show it to the taxi drivers. She took the time to explain the different sights that we can see in Shanghai. I will definitely come back to stay here again!! I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This is a really lovely hotel - beautifully designed with very smart interior design. The views from floor to ceiling windows in the spacious rooms were stunning. Technology was impressive too - blinds and all lighting controlled from bedside. Even outdoor temperature displayed in bathroom. Within walking distance of restaurants and bars on the Bund. Only minor complaint would be no bar as such. You could get drinks served to you but service could be slow and patchy.
Overall would recommend.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Japan
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel far exceeded my expectations - service was impeccable (with the exception of some of the guys at the front door who ignore you when you ask politely for a cab in Mandarin then grudgingly get down to it when you ask them rudely in English).

Location is fantastic, right by the bund (get the bund view rooms if possible, but best to get some further down the right corridor since mine was partially blocked by the building in front) and if you have meetings in Jing'An, Chang'Ning, etc. it's really easy to get to via cab ride since the entrance to the YanAn highway is just around corner. It's really easy to flag down cabs here and all the cab drivers knew the location of the hotel.

Got my room upgraded so it was really quite large and spacious, extremely clean and everything was well thought of and provided well. I love how conveniently located the main controls, and ipod docks were placed by the bed. The coffee machine with Illy pods in the room is awesome too!

Snacks provided 24/7 in the lounge area is a really nice touch and the breakfast while not as comprehensive/good as what I got at other hotels but was still quite adequate.

This hotel is certainly my fave along with The Puli which is slightly more expensive and design wise still remains one notch above this hotel.

My only small complains: Just a note though, if you're sensitive you noise - I could hear the traffic even though I was on a high floor and I really wish the windows were cleaned more frequently as all my photos of the Bund didn't look good due to the stains all over the window.

Room Tip: If you get a bund view, make sure it's more towards the right of the corridor else you may have...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank thislittlemmm
Hangzhou, China
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am a frequent visitor to Shanghai and have had the opportunity to try out most of the hotels in the area, I normally stay at another place which is also highly rated on Tripadvisor just a 5 minute walk down the Bund but thought I would try something different for a change.

After a long flight from London this hotel was a welcoming sight, located right on Zhongshan Road (The Bund) it is easy to access, the entrance is small and understated but extremely inviting and elegant. The lobby is on the second floor and one is taken quickly to their room (which for me was a Bund Deluxe).

The room impressed on all levels, the first impression is of the size of the room which wasn't cramped in the slightest, the very spacious bathroom was a particular triumph with an exceptional rainfall shower, more towels than you could possibly ever need and full of high tech (electronic toilet with various hilarious washing options, television in the bath and thermometer built into the mirror). As for the room itself the bed was large, the view was overlooking the Huangpu river and the Oriental Pearl Tower as promised and amenities were in keeping with the comfortable but high technology theme - one particular thing I enjoyed was the daily replenishment of 4 bottles of water - this is the only hotel I have stayed in in mainland China which actually appreciates the necessity of giving guests plenty of free water in a country where tap water is undrinkable.

I cannot really fault my Bund Deluxe room in any way, and after a short drink with a friend in a local bar I retired to my room to try and beat the jet lag - only to be unable to sleep due to a bass heavy thumping noise in my room. I was on the 23rd floor and assumed it was another guest playing loud music, but upon calling reception to see if they could resolve the issue I was instead informed that the music was coming from their nightclub on the top floor! I was taken aback at this (and when one is paying almost £300 a night to stay here, who wouldn't be!?), after making my opinion clear a receptionist came to my room and apologised profusely, and moved me swiftly to a suite with a better view on a slightly lower floor. I felt the situation was handled well, but I would rather the situation didn't exist at all, in what world does it make sense to have loud music playing and disturbing the guests of a five star hotel? I am aware this part of the bund has a lot of nightlife - but surely not at the expense of paying guests.

The Breakfast is included with the room and has a very communal feel to it, the food was average compared to other places in Shanghai but given that there is no extra charge it wouldn't be fair to complain. I feel that this hotel has so much going for it, the moment one steps inside there is an air of calm and escape from a seriously busy city, but a decision has to be made as to whether the management care more about the well-being of their guests, or their nightclub customers before it can truly get a good score in my books, if they really are serious about the hotel being a success then what kind of attitude does the nightclub portray to the hotel's customers?

I would stay here again, on a lower floor so I don't have to here the thumping music - book in advance and get a discount!

Thanks to all the staff for a comfortable stay

Room Tip: Bund Deluxe rooms have a very nice layout
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Benjamin N
Tortola
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel surpassed even my wildest expectations, and that was before I saw the view from my room.... As tired as I was from traveling, I just had to go out for a walk on the bund after seeing it from my room. The hotel location was fantastic, the service at the hotel wonderful and the staff was so helpful in helping arrange guided tours and getting tickets to events. I can hardly wait until I go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Everything was fantastic - the rooms are awesome with everything you could ask for. The AC is very good, and keeps the room at a good temperature without drying out your throat and eyes. The bed is the best I have ever slept in - with pillows that will never flat (I dont know how they do it!), and a lovely down duvet. The duvet and the pillows were so good I seriously considered buying them!

The lounge is great for a free and delicious snack 24/7, and the breakfast was VERY good! Lives up to the standards of any 5 star hotel. Made to order eggs, different kinds of bread, fruit, youghurt, you name it.

This is one of the best places I have ever stayed, and I would never stay any other place in Shanghai if I were to come back. It is pricey, yes, but we got it at a discount, and at the price we payed it was worth every penny.

Stay here if you want impeccable service, some luxury, fantastic views (river cruise - go home), a good breakfast included in your room charge and the free and fast Wifi, which is also complimentary. In many other 5 star hotels in Shanghai they will charge upwards of a 100 RMB pr day for WiFi. Don't bother with Marriott & The Hyatt - just stay here!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Bund.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Torquay
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Les Suites was excellent, room very good (twin deluxe bund view) - bathroom extraordinary -wanna watch TV in the bath, no prob, there's a TV over the taps! Separate shower very good also. All Staff encountered absolutely first rate, bar none. Very good English spoken by most, and if the individual cannot he will soon find some-one who can! Everybody very helpful.
Bund view from the room unbelievable - if you think Las Vegas has lights, you should see the Bund at night! There is a cross river ferry immediately opposite the Hotel and the Cruise Ferries leave from 150 yards up river. (NB the bar/club on the 22nd Floor is NOT part of the Hotel and their drinks are extortionate!)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends