“Excelletn Location with Fantastic view (if you chose the right room)”

Les Suites Orient, Bund Shanghai
Ranked #20 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Adelaide
“Excelletn Location with Fantastic view (if you chose the right room)”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good:
For my room, 1202, the room is awesome. The bathroom windows can view the bund + all the tall building including Oriental Pearl Tower across the River. So, It has Excellent view. The room looks nice and luxury, and the whole setting just good. I can give this 1202 room 5 stars rating. Having said that, I did not get this room before I made my complain. The room they first gave me is 809, which is not as nice as this 1202. Also what put me off is that, room 809 has the smell of smoke!! I paid AUD200 for a night, and I will not take a crappy room for the price I paid for. Complaint and they got me a better room. So, I am happy to get room 1202 and I think it well worth AUD 200 per night so to speak.

Breakfast was good but limited choice. Having said that, the food quality is good.

Bad:
When I first arrived the lobby (Ground floor), there is no people there. No one single staff is there and there is no sign saying the reception is at level 3. I cannot believe the place that I booked and paid for has 5 stars rating in Tripadvisor and is the Hotel of the year for 2012. I got super upset at that point because I thought I booked a dodgy hotel. Then I rang the phone number and ask where is the reception, and they said level 3.... How would a hotel guest know where the reception is if there is no one tell you that, or a sign to tell you where the reception is? This is the thing that I don't like about this hotel and I already complain/tell the reception and hope they will take this in and make an improvement on it.

Room Tip: Choose room with higher floor number like level 12 ++ And get the room with the direct view of the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Aiden H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
sydney
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We spent 4 fabulous nights.

We booked a river suite which was worth every penny. The room was big, with 2 lounge areas, a desk and an excellent bathroom. The view was outstanding. Suite had every conceivable extra - TV that was hidden when not in use - came to view at the press of a button. Excellent Illy coffee maker. Bowl of fresh fruit provided daily. Toto toilet with every possible option. Speedy internet. Plenty bottled water.

Room service - the lamb dish was excellent - highly recommend.

The gym - was well appointed, again bottled water was readily available.

The lounge - Tea, coffee, tasty biscuits, cakes and fruit always available. The views were great. A couple of the chairs were a little threadbare.

Breakfast - The usual fare, nothing outstanding.

The front desk staff went the extra mile. I celebrated a significant birthday - they arranged a celebratory drink in the presidential suite which was amazing...and the views outstanding.

The concierge staff were all very helpful in arranging our daily activities and providing numerous cards with our daily destinations written in Chinese, making taxi trips easy.

Definitely would stay again.

Room Tip: A room with a view is a must.
ACT
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Like many other we chose to have a luxury (for us) stop here because of the many glowing reviews the hotel had received. I had also contacted some of the reviewers for more personal advice. We were not disappointed. The room, the view, the service, the location, were all as others had said and as the photos showed. We were able to book in as soon as we arrived from the airport and we used the baggage holding facility and le lounge til mid afternoon on the day of our departure. We had a double room on the 19th floor with a separate bathroom and, yes, the gadgets were fun. As Shanghai was very crowded due to public holidays and waterfront seats hard to come by, we returned to the room in the evenings to watch the lights come on and the crowds moving along the Bund. We used the lounge facilities for relaxation, refreshments (in large mugs) and for internet access, although there was also wifi access in the room which was fast. We also used the hotel car for collection and return to the airport - more expensive than taxi or maglev but no hassles at all. All up, we would choose to stay there again if funds allowed.

Mermaid Waters
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was slightly disappointed with this hotel. Some of the public areas are very dark and dismal and the breakfast area is especially uninviting, although you can walk through to the restaurant area where it is brighter. Having said that I would not hesitate to return here because of the view and because the staff are very nice. We had a Bund Suite high up and the views are to die for, especially as you can sit on the loo and watch the passing river traffic!! The bedroom part of the suite was fine, bed comfortable, tea & coffee etc.and plentiful bottled water. Chairs and a table to take advantage of the view. The bathroom was excellent, separate shower, great amenities and great view! The lounge part of the suite was dark and dingy with poor lighting and therefore we didn't use it. Housekeeping was for the most part good but there was always residue left on the polished floor which made it look dusty. Breakfast was OK but it didn't start until 7am and even then it was never ready at that time. Several of the items, like the yoghurt for instance didn't arrive until 20mins later. The breakfast room as I mentioned previously was dark and dismal and the airconditioning was fierce, but the restaurant area was much nicer.The hotel is in a great situation right opposite the walking path on the Bund and a short walk to two metro stations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Got a great rate on "ctrip" almost half the price of the website, which is why we probably got the room by the elevator. That said , the room was great, comfy with all the amenities you could want. Bathroom was fantastic- one could sit in the tub, relax, raise the automatic curtain and watch the barges go up and down the river. The hotel is stylish, great attention to detail, breakfast was included and was good. Quiet rooms, did not even notice we were near the elevator.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2012

great hotel in a good location , service was fantastic , rooms are on the small side but have everything you need and more, and …. what a view ! lots of gadgets in your room to play with and really comfy bed . food was great - they got our room service order a bit wrong a couple of times but it didnt matter - what ever they brought was lovely ! . if you have a river view worth getting room service to watch the colorful world go by outside . gym was good but could do with some free weights . would definitely stay again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Based on the reviews and notes from Trip Advisor, we stayed at Les Suites Orient last week. The location, staff, room and service were all outstanding. We stayed in a suite overlooking the Bund. Simply an amazing room with a fantastic view. I can not rate this hotel highly enough.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple