“First Class Experience in Shanghai”

The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #53 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Excellent Choice in Shanghai. Service is impeccable. Manager Angela quickly and completely solved a problem with a smile. Staff is excellent. A nice respite from the hustle and bustle of Shanghai. There is certainly a nostalgic first class feeling which hearkens to the days of pre-war Shanghai, and a cosmopolitan "rat pack" sensibility. Very cool. The location is amazing as it a 2 minute walk to both the Nanjing Pedestrian Road and the Subway. Thank you for an excellent stay!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to book this hotel. Angela is world class manager!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AM S
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments referring to your stay at The Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai.
We are glad to see that you had a pleasant stay with us. We would like to thank you for giving us high recommendation and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me for your future visit! My email address is angela.li@theyangtzehotel.com

Thank you again for your comments and it would be my pleasure to welcome you on your next visit to Shanghai.

There are newer reviews for The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed for 7 nights on business. Great location, walking distance to our office, and handy for everywhere else. Room was very comfortable, lovely bathroom.
Breakfast was fairly standard for this type of hotel, but if you like eggs benedict, omelette etc cooked fresh to order then ask the chef as it's not advertised at every table.
Do use the spa, I didn't have any treatments, but used the hot tub, sauna and steam room one evening and had it all to myself.
We used the bar once only, it was very quiet, but comfortable chairs, good wine selection but usual fairly steep hotel prices. The hotel is really only missing a couple of things: a pool, and some outside space / bar to unwind after a long day.
Staff English was good, and all were friendly and helpful.
Laundry service was efficient, and there was the nice touch of turndown service (with chocolates!!) if you wanted it!
This hotel is a great base in Shanghai, make a point of visiting Nanjing Road for shops, bars and restaurants a short walk away.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TheWestleys
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments on the trip advisor website concerning your recent stay here at the Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai.
We are glad to see that you had a pleasant stay with us. And we would like to thank you for giving us high recommendation and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have given this hotel an excellent rating because the location really was amazing being a 20 second walk to line 2 of the subway which connects you to pretty much everywhere you would want to go during a few days of being a tourist in Shanghai. In addition, the rooms were comfortable, large, and attractive. However, I must say that on arrival I did not get a great first impression. We went to check in and the man at the desk had no manners and no record of me ever booking, despite having paid in full for our 3 nights there. He didn't explain to us what was happening as he called someone and spoke for a while in Mandarin and then just told us they had no record of our reservation as no one had created one for us when Hotels.com had notified them of our reservation. He said he would create one now (luckily they had a room available..) and didn't apologise at all but maybe that's a cultural thing. Then when we went up to our room it was boiling hot and various housekeeping and maintenance staff kept coming to the door and speaking really loudly in Mandarin, walking into our room with no regard for us. One man even brought a lamp in, only to realise we already had a lamp and to leave. Anyway after the initial hour or so at the hotel, we never experienced any other issues and in particular the doormen were really friendly. We never ate breakfast at the hotel as it was quite pricey. There was a starbucks in the big mall over the road where we got coffees in the morning. I would recommend this hotel for the excellent location and pretty and spacious rooms but we definitely had better service elsewhere in China.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,

On behalf of the team of the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, we would like to express our sincere gratitude for your valuable feedbacks which have been shared with everyone concerned. On the staff service point, this is certainly not the image or the experience we wish our residents to have and we are already working to ensure on the improvement of the service. We appreciate for your recommendation. And we are looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel was beautiful in all aspects, from the greeting at the entrance to the amazing interior and the super comfortable bed.

Such a pleasure to get away from the hustle and bustle of the big city with a huge big bathroom with a lovely relaxing bath (with TV) & great little bath gel & shampoo/conditioner packs too.

The bed was the best thing - it felt like a huge cloud and was super roomy. I didn't want to get up!

Great location, great service and perfect room. The only thing that was not ideal was the cost of breakfast but with a Starbucks and mall across the road we found something delicious.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have stayed several times at this hotel, but always when it was under the management of the Langham Group. So when I revisited in July 2013 under the new management, the state-owned Shanghai Hengshan Group, I can make a good comparison between what was before and what is now.

First off, I want to state that the new management had inherited a very good set of hardware, and for that if nothing else, this hotel is still a good bet. I must also commend the new management in trying very hard to keep to the expectations of many discerning guests from within and outside China. So much so that it seems there is a blind mimicking of what the old management was doing. From the signature pink hues, to the font used in the (new) logo, to the opening music of the classic "Rose, Rose I Love You" when you switch on the TV and even the signature orchid scent permeating the hotel lobby, it's not hard to surmise that Hengshan is trying VERY hard to tell guests, both old and new, that little has changed and they can still be as good as what Langham did, maybe even better.

Well, for that, the Hengshan Group scored well. But sadly, I need to report that not everything is the same as before. The panache and the X-factor of a Langham is now missing, and unless you actually know the status the Yangtze holds in Shanghai high society in the pre-war years, you will miss the mysticism exuded by the Yangtze name altogether. The Art Decor style and the generous size of the room simply shows the legacy of the last management; the service standard of the front desk and the housekeeping staff betray strains of state-owned company culture.

But is it serious? Well, some incidents to relate and you decide yourself if little had truly changed.

Previously, simple stuff like cotton buds, cotton pads in the so-called vanity pack were made available in the bathroom automatically. This time round, I need to ask for it and only after a wait of some 30 minutes were they delivered by a less-than-friendly staff who actually gave that bewildering look that "you mean you actually need such stuff" since I'm a man.

The soiled face towels were not replaced the next day, and I need to ask for them. The used cotton buds accidentally dropped on the floor of the bathroom were not picked up or thrown away. The Do Not Disturb sign was switched on but housekeeping still knocked and delivered the welcome fruit platter. Front desk asked some questions on the restaurant, and the answer was a curt "why don't you go up and ask them yourself".

Granted these aren't too important and they did not mar the stay at all. But as I said, the quality of service by state-owned enterprises in China shone through shamelessly in these examples. Am I nitpicking here? I do not think so. Look at the concierge staff, who were essentially retained from the last management's team. Dick, Ray and James and all stood out impressively in their eagerness to please, to greet you by name and help you in your luggage and shopping. Dick's help in getting my railway ticket, and the ability to explain some unexpected screw-ups with a good sense of humour simply shows how high his EQ is. So, frankly, I must say service standards in the newly-managed Yangtze have generally slipped vis-a-vis what it used to be.

I have commented on the amenities in the room and the very romantic, Art Decor style in my last review. I think it will take some time for hardware to deteriorate so for now, it's still a safe bet to stay here for the hardware alone. The showers worked well, the furniture still look good, net speed was adequate and the generous room size remains a fact. And of course, its location right next to the most important station in the Shanghai metro system can't be beaten.

If you aren't too particular with the slipped service standard, and like me can easily put up with the quirks of service providers in state-owned enterprises in China, then come stay here for the old-world charm. The location, atmosphere and design of the Yangtze is enough reason, if nothing else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank Sal the Fat Fish
ManagementTLSHA, General Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unsatisfied experiences happened during your stay. Those matters have been shared with our associates and immediate measurements and steps have been taken to avoid the recurrence of such incidents.
Hope you may grant us the opportunity to show you that these lapses in service are not the norm in the Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai! Other than that, we appreciate for your nice comments regarding to our team members, it’s a big encouragement to us!
Should you need any further assistance with your future visits, please don’t feel hesitate to let us know. We hope these experiences do not deter you from visiting us again.

Gary Gu

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My partner and I had been doing a lot of walking around in hiking clothes and sweating like crazy in the insane summer heat, when we got to the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai to drop off a fragile vase for them to hold several days before we were due to stay there. The staff were very gracious and stored the vase for us without batting an eye. When we returned to register, one of the staff members immediately said, "Oh, we have your package for you," and went to fetch it before we got a chance to ask for it. Wow!

This is a beautiful hotel with lovely details such as 1930s artifacts framed along the hallways, comfortable seating in interesting nooks and crannies throughout the first two levels, and even the venting grates are art deco designed. Our room had an enormous bathroom with 3 separate rooms within that room: a toilet nook; a sink and granite counter area; and, a shower/bath area that's bigger than my bathroom at home. The bed was extremely comfortable, including a feather bed and pillows to order (never seen that before!).

It's just steps away from the Metro line 2 and Nanjing Road - conveniently located to many interesting and fun Shanghai places.

I felt a little bad because I was under-dressed for the elegance of the hotel (Teva hiking sandals and cargo pants -- eek!). But the staff were uniformly polite and welcoming, despite our slightly worn-out appearance. Next time, I'm bringing a more upscale wardrobe! After all, the hotel restaurants have a dress-code that I want to adhere to.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that these feedbacks will serve as an encouragement to all of our staffs as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
Thank you for giving us high recommendations and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Simply love the romantic and artistic decor of this hotel, location is perfect for tourist like us, big malls next door, and walking distance to Nanjing shoppping street area, which means you can find loads of local delicacies and long street of shopping. Love to watch photo slideshow from the TV of our room featuring the charming old Shanghai. Only one thing that I am not happy with is when we walked into the hotel, the Langham signature smell still lingers on, amenities still resembles very much like Langham, this could be very misleading because we didn't know that earlier this year there was a change of management, it was only made know to us at a later stage when we approach the front desk for assistance. Nevertheless it is still a great romantic hotel which we had enjoy very much.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tpprincess

Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,

Sincere greetings from the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai! We are thrilled to see you had a wonderful stay with us. Yangtze is continuously striving to maintain and improve the service standards, this is the mission we are engaged in seeking as always.
Thanks for your comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you back! It will be our pleasure to assure another romantic stay for you.