“Grace and elegance in a modern city”

The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #67 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is placed in a fantastic area for getting about, within a few minutes of People's Square metrol. It has an enormous shopping mall nearby with coffee shops and restaurants all around. We walked to the Bund for New Year's Eve. The hotel itself is very luxurious and has 1930's feel to it. We had a huge bathroom with a wet room and an enormous bath. The staff are fantastic and there is great attention to detail with bathroom toiletries, mini bar and fresh chocolates every evening- just little things which are pleasing. There is a wide choice of breakfasts served in a very pleasant room. I would defintely use this hotel again. Only criticsms I have is the foyer is chilly and the stair carpet up to the bar on the 2nd floor is worn. The appearance however is very grand.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Although the Bund is the first place you're likely to look for good hotels, I'd strongly recommend you consider the Langham Yangtze. It's a three minute walk from the pedestrianised Nanjing Road shopping area, and exit 14 of the People's Park metro interchange is just outside the front entrance. The Bund is around 20 minutes' walk away.

The hotel is large enough to have everything you'd need, but small enough for more personalised attention. The bellhops were particularly helpful in communicating with cabbies.

We took a larger Shanghai Grand room, and it was very comfortable. The decor is stylish without being over the top. My wife tried the spa and was very pleased with the massage.

Our only complaint was the restaurant's breakfast. The food was all right and the staff tried hard, but for some reason seemed perpetually overworked. Guests had to wait an inordinately long time to get their special orders, and the buffet tables were not restocked promptly enough with food, juice, crockery, etc. Not the place if you are on business and/or in a hurry.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I'm writing this review as I lay in bed inside our art deco room. So far I'm absolutely in love with the Langham Yangtze hotel and don't want to leave. I was born and raised in Shanghai and I was aware of this hotel before Langham group purchased it. I have to say Langham did a fantastic job renovating and updating this historical landmark with an unique modern touch. We traveled from San Francisco and are staying here for three nights with our 9 month old baby. It's the new year's holiday weekend and the hotel has many overseas travelers. The hotel is located in the busiest district in Shanghai next to People's Square. You can walk to the Bund in about 20 minutes.

The lobby and the rooms are artsy, but not snobbish. The room size is luxurious given the property value in Shanghai. Our king size bed is so comfortable that my husband said I would zonk out as soon as I hit the pillow. Bathroom is large, bright and well stocked with bath amenities. Staff including bellmen speak excellent English and are very helpful. I needed to heat baby food every day. The restaurant chef helped me multiple times without a word of complaint.

The only reason I'm not giving this hotel a five star is due to room temperature. It's winter time and cold outside. However, the hotel hallway and room seem to be over heated. Even after we dialed down the temperature, it still got pretty warm at night. We had to keep the window open a little to let air flow. Another minor issue is that the bathroom sometimes smelled funky possibly due to the old plumbing system.

Nonetheless, I will for sure return to this hotel next time I come back to Shanghai.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night and found the stay extremely welcoming from door person through check-in. Was in standard king which was huge. Separate large soaking tub in bathroom. Room well designed but slightly worn in spots. Very clean. Bed comfortable. A little street noise. It's a busy, well located area. Great value!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The room was an amazing Art Deco space. Lots of small touches that made it very special. The size was impressive and you could watch the world go by from your window. Bathroom was luxurious in size. The breakfast was average to poor and just not very interesting or attractive - a real disappointment compared to the rest of my experience here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I must admit I am a 1865 member, so have stayed at a few Langham's in Asia in the last few years. This was the first time at the Yangtze Shanghai, having chosen it because of the location primarily and I did want to experience a hotel that had a bit of history.
Yes the hotel is in a great location, close to the metro, good shopping and walking distance to a few attractions. It is an older hotel that has been refurbished with a good look and feel that is typical of the Langham family.
Now why did it miss the mark with me? All started at check-in, I was initially advised that I got a complimentary room upgrade which all sounded like things got off to a good start. In my booking, I requested a room away from the lift, I knew that occupancy rates are low this time of the year so fulfilling my request should not be an issue. When going to my room, I discovered that it was right next door to the lifts, and it was not an upgrade but actually the room that I had booked. I really didn't mind the upgrade that really was not an upgrade, but being allocated a room next to the lift was an issue for me. I went downstairs and explained that I prefer a room away from the lift. They basically said that due to the design of the hotel, the room type i had booked were all next to the lift...I wish when the manager emailed me the week before saying all my requests had been catered for, that he/she also advised me that this was going to be an issue.
Anyway, what annoyed me the most was that they thought I was chasing an upgrade, when I approached the desk. I said, I don't care about the room size I just want to be away from the lift. They then made some excuse saying I booked a junior suite and got upgraded to the art deco junior suite. After producing my booking, which explicitly said it was an art deco suite that I had booked, they then backed down and decided to actually help me. Another anomaly was arranging an extended check out time. The membership level I have allows me to get late check out, but also the room package I booked did as well, but they told me latest was 2 pm. When asking them a second time, they said oh...no 4 pm will be fine.
The new room they allocated me was great apart from the shower water pressure...it was terrible. My colleague who was on a lower floor said his pressure was fine.
Last gripe was breakfasts. Because I am lactose intolerant, I tend to get soy milk for breakfast and in Asia it is quite easy in most hotels however in the Yangtze it wasn't. The staff were nice enough to get the kitchen to find some for me and also advised me that they would ensure some soy would be available the next couple of mornings that I was there. Next morning I showed up and the staff member approached me saying that they didn't have any soy because it expires too fast...lol...strange excuse since dairy expires faster. Anyway, I was about to run literally across the road to a small convenience store that sells soy milk when they realised it was an issue for me and volunteered to go find some.
So in summary, I felt that this hotel makes promises that it does not deliver. So don't have any expectations and you will not be disappointed. I had just come from an awesome 4 star hotel in Hangzhou the day before which run rings around this 5 star establishment. I will definitely consider looking for an alternative next time I am in Shanghai.

Room Tip: Every room size is different due to the age of the hotel. I saw 3 rooms and they were completely dif...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is a very well located hotel and has the most efficient concierge desk I can recall using. It does have a languid, old-world charm. But it could do so much more. We had booked a Shanghai Grand room (many of which are supposed to have balconies), and had done so weeks before our travel. I had requested a smoking room and received confirmation that this would be provided. When we arrived, neither early nor late but at about the exact time we were supposed to (we were shifting here from another Shanghai hotel after a conference), the young lady at the reception said there were no smoking rooms with a balcony available at the time. My expression must have revealed disappointment, but there was no offer to shift us to one if it became available. The next disappointment was the evening turndown service, which clearly didn't extend to replenishing the tea/coffee supplies or fluffing up the pillows. All that was done was to draw the curtains. Other than these two irritants, which I did not expect at the price we were paying, this was a good hotel. The room was large, but not as large as the hotel site suggests, and was well appointed. The bed was very comfortable and I must confess we slept well. The television offered few non-Chinese channels but that may not be the hotel's fault. Room service food was very good, especially the breakfast which arrived fresh and hot. And as I said, compliments to every member of the staff at the concierge desk. They were helpful, courteous and thoughtful. Internet connectivity to my gmail account was extremely dodgy, but that too may not be the hotel's fault. Check-out was smooth. Overall, this was a comfortable stay but could have been perfect with a little effort.

Room Tip: Don't let your wife tell you not to make a fuss if you aren't entirely happy with the room y...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple