“delightful service”

Ranked #33 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai, China
“delightful service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were here for celebrating my girl friend's birthday. Hotel arranged very nice room with jaccuzzi bathtub, and bed was full of rose. Although we only spent 1 night in there, we were satisfied with room and service for both. we definately would return for future anniversary

Room Tip: room with jaccuzzi is good option for a couple
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GMTLSHA, General Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for providing your comments.
I am so pleased we were able to make your girlfriends birthday experience that little more memorable and our Chuan Spa Residences, which all have Jacuzzi’s, are very well received by our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham Yangtze again soon.

Russell Cool

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
london uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Make sure you have the address of the hotel written down in chinese - taxi drivers are not familliar with our dialect and do not understand.
So different from the huge high rise tower hotels you think of when visiting Shanghai. This art deco gem is just pure luxury. A true relatively small boutique hotel 94 or so rooms - just off Peoples Square a short walk from the major shopping road and centres. A warm greating from the doorman to the reception staff. Nothing was too much trouble.
Lovely room, huge bath, separate shower - everything perfect. Comfortable bed. Complimentary bottled water, with more given on request.
Breakfast was good. Spa was closed.
Insist on free wifi - they wanted to charge me but I said I was told it was included. They waved it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for staying with us and providing your feedback.

The Langham Yangtze prides itself on being an alternative option to the high-rise steel and glass buildings that Shanghai is renowned for and our heritage dates back 77 years. The Yangtze hotel is one of the most famous hotels in Shanghai and funnily enough was the third largest hotel in Asia. How times have changed with hotels now as large as 1,000 rooms!

Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to meeting you again soon.

new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Langham Yangtze is perfect for a Shanghai getaway. It is centrally located close to the Shanghai Museum and the Bund, close to downtown shopping and the Metro. It's an impressively restored boutique hotel with all the fancy amenities -- marble bathrooms, impeccable rooms. I was lucky enough to get a room with a terrace. The staff could not be friendlier and more accomodating, and the breakfast was plentiful. This hotel would suit both tourists and the business traveler. Also, while it is in the center of the action, it is located just a block in on a sidestreet. This makes it a calm oasis in bustling Shanghai. I'm a big fan of the hotel and would love to return.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with a terrace, if you like to have some outdoor space as well.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Langham Yangtze and providing your feedback.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time in Shanghai and that you enjoyed the facilities of our hotel.

Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Auckland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Suprisingly none of the hotel staff knows about the benefits of supper club membership. I called reservationist about the 15% off the best available rate for supper club membership, she obviousely had no clue about that. I directed her to go to the supper club website and she saw it and could not offer me the rate and told me that she will have to ask the manager and call me back which she never did. When I checked into the hotel, I asked the receptionist about the rate, she told me that it was only for 15% of rack rate. Being working in the hotel industry for 10 years, I know the difference between best available rate and rack rate. I did not argue with her as I felt really tired after 12 hours flight. She then told me that my room was really small and did not suit me to stay and asked me to upgrade to the larger room. Quite disappointed about staff knowledge and training. Langham is getting worse!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for providing your feedback.

I am deeply apologetic for the miscommunication on our loyalty program and its benefits; we have since retrained our team to ensure that we meet the needs of all our guests and clearly communicate what benefits are available under these programs.

Thankyou again for your comments and I hope to see you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Langham Yangtze is a beautifully restored art deco hotel with rooms which offer space and luxury. It is located only a few metres from exit 14 of People's Square metro, but is relatively quiet for a city like Shanghai. It is two short blocks from Nanjing Rd and about ten minutes walk from the Bund.
The staff at the Langham were welcoming from the moment of my arrival. As a single female traveller, I felt relaxed and comfortable, and enjoyed being greeted by name. The concierge staff were wonderful, organizing cabs and booking train tickets for me. The breakfast restaurant, Ciao, served a great array of fresh food, including cooked to order, all as part of the buffet.
I had a wonderful stay, and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a Juliet balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank impossible50
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Langham Yangtze.

We appreciate your kind words on your experiences whilst staying with us and note your comments as a single female traveler. Our size, Art Deco design and intimate, personalized service offering lends itself to a feminine accent on our services making it an ideal choice for female travelers.

I will certainly pass your comments onto my concierge and food and beverage teams.
Thank you again for your comments and I hope to see you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We arrived after about six hours of travel in Shanghai at 12:30 am and made our way to the Langham, where we had booked a room a month in advance. When we arrived, they told us that they accidentally overbooked and didn’t have a room for us. Yeah, seriously.

However, they told us, they have found a room at another good hotel nearby for the night and we could come back the next day and check in at the Langham for the next two nights.

I was freakin’ mad (and really tired) and pretty much DEMANDED better compensation. Fred, the “night manager,” a self-described “very small manager,” honestly seemed eager to make things right but very limited in his problem-solving authority.

Long story short, we were eventually able to negotiate a free stay at another hotel. It wasn’t as nice as the Langham, but it was fine. They sent us a fruit basket. They did offer us a nice suite to lure us back, but with only two and a half days in Shanghai, moving was a waste of our time.

Bottom line: If you are going to spend many hours traveling to a very foreign place, you should be able to rest assured that you will have a room when you get there. The Langham can’t promise you that. I recommend you skip it.

1 Thank S G
GMTLSHA, General Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Let me first apolgise that you did not get to experience the The Langham Yangtze Shanghai and I am sincerely sorry that you were relocated to another hotel. This is our error and you unfortunately had to bear the consequences of this error and for that I am deeply apologetic.

Whilst I certainly understand your frustrations and the inconvenience caused, I hope that on your next trip to Shanghai you will give us another opportunity to experience The Langham Yangtze. I realise it is not much consolation right now, but it would be my pleasure to welcome you personally and ensure you are well looked after.

With warmest regards,

Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel describes itself as boutique but it's actually medium sized on 6 floors. The photos are misleading as it is surrounded by skyscrapers. The room was good and the breakfast was nice. The reception staff were not particularly friendly- and I felt the concierge was only interested in selling overpriced tours. The carpets in the public areas were a bit worn. If returning to Shanghai would definitely go for a high rise hotel with views. I had considered the Marriott apartments at Tomorrow square and the Westin and I think either would have been a better choice- nothing actually wrong with this place- just underwhelming for the price paid.

Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing The Langham Yangtze.

We appreciate there is a plethora of choice in Shanghai hotels and I apologise if you felt that you were mislead on our size, we are in fact 96 rooms with the hotel being nine floors in total which includes our three restaurants, bar, Chuan spa and function facilities.

Thank you again for staying with us and I wish you safe travels.