“Terrible staff training”

The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #52 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Suprisingly none of the hotel staff knows about the benefits of supper club membership. I called reservationist about the 15% off the best available rate for supper club membership, she obviousely had no clue about that. I directed her to go to the supper club website and she saw it and could not offer me the rate and told me that she will have to ask the manager and call me back which she never did. When I checked into the hotel, I asked the receptionist about the rate, she told me that it was only for 15% of rack rate. Being working in the hotel industry for 10 years, I know the difference between best available rate and rack rate. I did not argue with her as I felt really tired after 12 hours flight. She then told me that my room was really small and did not suit me to stay and asked me to upgrade to the larger room. Quite disappointed about staff knowledge and training. Langham is getting worse!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
GMTLSHA, General Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for providing your feedback.

I am deeply apologetic for the miscommunication on our loyalty program and its benefits; we have since retrained our team to ensure that we meet the needs of all our guests and clearly communicate what benefits are available under these programs.

Thankyou again for your comments and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Langham Yangtze is a beautifully restored art deco hotel with rooms which offer space and luxury. It is located only a few metres from exit 14 of People's Square metro, but is relatively quiet for a city like Shanghai. It is two short blocks from Nanjing Rd and about ten minutes walk from the Bund.
The staff at the Langham were welcoming from the moment of my arrival. As a single female traveller, I felt relaxed and comfortable, and enjoyed being greeted by name. The concierge staff were wonderful, organizing cabs and booking train tickets for me. The breakfast restaurant, Ciao, served a great array of fresh food, including cooked to order, all as part of the buffet.
I had a wonderful stay, and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a Juliet balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank impossible50

Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Langham Yangtze.

We appreciate your kind words on your experiences whilst staying with us and note your comments as a single female traveler. Our size, Art Deco design and intimate, personalized service offering lends itself to a feminine accent on our services making it an ideal choice for female travelers.

I will certainly pass your comments onto my concierge and food and beverage teams.
Thank you again for your comments and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We arrived after about six hours of travel in Shanghai at 12:30 am and made our way to the Langham, where we had booked a room a month in advance. When we arrived, they told us that they accidentally overbooked and didn’t have a room for us. Yeah, seriously.

However, they told us, they have found a room at another good hotel nearby for the night and we could come back the next day and check in at the Langham for the next two nights.

I was freakin’ mad (and really tired) and pretty much DEMANDED better compensation. Fred, the “night manager,” a self-described “very small manager,” honestly seemed eager to make things right but very limited in his problem-solving authority.

Long story short, we were eventually able to negotiate a free stay at another hotel. It wasn’t as nice as the Langham, but it was fine. They sent us a fruit basket. They did offer us a nice suite to lure us back, but with only two and a half days in Shanghai, moving was a waste of our time.

Bottom line: If you are going to spend many hours traveling to a very foreign place, you should be able to rest assured that you will have a room when you get there. The Langham can’t promise you that. I recommend you skip it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S G
GMTLSHA, General Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Let me first apolgise that you did not get to experience the The Langham Yangtze Shanghai and I am sincerely sorry that you were relocated to another hotel. This is our error and you unfortunately had to bear the consequences of this error and for that I am deeply apologetic.

Whilst I certainly understand your frustrations and the inconvenience caused, I hope that on your next trip to Shanghai you will give us another opportunity to experience The Langham Yangtze. I realise it is not much consolation right now, but it would be my pleasure to welcome you personally and ensure you are well looked after.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel describes itself as boutique but it's actually medium sized on 6 floors. The photos are misleading as it is surrounded by skyscrapers. The room was good and the breakfast was nice. The reception staff were not particularly friendly- and I felt the concierge was only interested in selling overpriced tours. The carpets in the public areas were a bit worn. If returning to Shanghai would definitely go for a high rise hotel with views. I had considered the Marriott apartments at Tomorrow square and the Westin and I think either would have been a better choice- nothing actually wrong with this place- just underwhelming for the price paid.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing The Langham Yangtze.

We appreciate there is a plethora of choice in Shanghai hotels and I apologise if you felt that you were mislead on our size, we are in fact 96 rooms with the hotel being nine floors in total which includes our three restaurants, bar, Chuan spa and function facilities.

Thank you again for staying with us and I wish you safe travels.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was my second stay at The Langham, Yangtze, Shanghai and my expectations were very high after my first experience; needless to say i was NOT let down. From the moment I walked in and presented myself to the front desk I was made to feel as though I had come back home. The smiles and efficency to check me in were warm and familiar and the "small talk" friendly without being invasive. My room, 601, allowed me a view of the city surrounds, without any noise, and also a balcony if I so desired. Breakfast the following morning was fresh and inviting and to my surprise the Hotel GM, Mr Cool, introduced himself and upon seeing I was alone had a friendly conversation and coffee which was a very nice added touch. The decor had the feel of the Shanghai hey day, an era of warm and good values and the staff lived up to this feeling also. On short notice I had 2 small requests for meeting facilties and late lunch requirements, to which the team at the Langham meet with the appearance of confidence and ease. As I mentioned earlier, this was my second stay, but certainly it won't be my last.... Keep up the good work, a credit to The Langham name.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JeremyB38

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing The Langham Yangtze.

I take great pleasure when guests enjoy their experiences in their travels and I appreciate your kind words on your stay with us.

It was very nice meeting you and I look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Shanghai.

Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

What a fabulous boutique hotel! I stayed in an Art Deco Junior Suite, which was a fabulous choice. Very spacious with separate living / dining and powder room. Large bedroom.

Langham members get free in-room WiFi, but in this day and age all 5* hotels should offer this.

Don't use the in-house laundry, Super Spa wash is cheaper and so quick!

Dick at the concierge desk was particularly excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Melbourne_Female
GMTLSHA, General Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments on your recent stay with us.
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and I will sure to pass on your comments to our concierge, Dick.

I hope to see you back in Shanghai soon.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Langham Yangtze plays on its illustrious history and rightly so, it's been around for ages and as a customer you really feel that you're part of Shanghai history just entering the lovely lobby.

Our room wasn't ready upon arrival, no big deal since we only had to wait say 20 minutes, but as compensation we got coupons for free drinks in their gorgeous bar, a very nice gesture.

The room wasn't huge but of excellent standard, especially the bathroom. Location can hardly be better in Shanghai. Of course, this isn't a cheap stay, but if we could afford it we'd come again anytime, both to the Langham Yangtze and to exciting Shanghai.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KMKTraveller
GMTLSHA, General Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,

Thank you for your comments on your stay at The Langham Yangtze.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your experience whilst stay with us and I again apologise that you had to wait for your room; we do try very hard to ensure we provide the most attentive service to all our guests.

Thank you again for providing your review and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.