“Great Location!”

Ranked #31 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Melbourne
“Great Location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

Hotel rooms were great. Comfortable bed, great bathroom and staff attentive to all needs. Our stay included breakfast which was a open buffet of all cuisine types (American to European to Asian delights). There are also chefs that will cook you eggs etc. Excellent. We also had room service one night and it was terrific!

We used the Chuan Spa which I cannot recommend enough. The staff were friendly and professional and the facilities were clean, private and overwhelmingly calm. My massage was wonderful and I felt as though I was the only one there.

The location is great. You are central to the park, the museum (a must!), cheap shopping and Nanjing Road. We have a tendency to walk everywhere to get to know a city so if you wanted to get to the bund it would be an easy 10 minute walk.

Make sure you use the train system if you need to get places it is cheap, quick, self explanatory with english translations and easy to use. Just make sure you have some spare change.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the third floor are very spacious. Don't worry about being near the elevator as...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FlameRobin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Breckenridge, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

From the reviews, I had my expectations set very high. That was my fault.

Positives: The hotel was very clean, had a cool vibe to it, and the staff was friendly. It was also close to Nanjing Road for shopping, but I couldn't find any cool shopping there. The rooms are nice size, clean, and comfortable for sure.

Negatives: Food serives and selection was poor, they gave my morning coffee to the wrong table 3 times one morning, then the next day I got up to get another serving, and they cleared my table, coffee, silverware, and everything. "hello... I'm still sitting here.." Food was not anything special even for dinner. The internet and cable kept going out and getting fuzzy. I got a cut in the gym but the front desk couldn't or wouldn't help with even a bandaid. They were not very helpful.

Tried it, but won't visit again. Back to the big towers instead.

Room Tip: Don't try and eat here
1 Thank mikewerx
hongkong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed here for a weekend to meet my husband on a business trip. I've always been a fan of Langham hotels and their subdued luxury that is neither stiff nor stuffy and the Langham Yangtze Boutique lived up to its reputation. The lobby is wonderful with lovely live music in some evenings and a great bar upstairs with delicious cocktails. The rooms are huge and the beds are incredibly comfortable. The spa is also great. Just a normal foot massage is treated as a full on spa experience. The hotel is also in a great location, walking distance from the Bund and other tourist attractions.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed here in December 2011 for five days and although it looks amazing, very 1930's and the location is great, I did find that like a lot of 5 star hotels I've tried in the "East", it did not offer much more than the superficial gloss. We did not try the breakfast or dinner because it was too expensive and the spa was good but again, expensive--this quite normal in 5 star hotels I've found. However, if you stay at this hotel, just go out for brekfast--there is a series of coffe shops just up the road opposite the Meridein, and for dinner or lunch go into the mall and try out any of the fast food joints, they are all good and cheap! The problem with china is the english is not that great, so you need to be central and somehwere they can give you good advice. We went to Hanzou fro a couple of days and they didnt mind us leaving out luggage there...even tho we shifted to another hotel, and we were honest about it...so that was pretty nice of them. A good choice if you want a treat, otherwise find cheaper!

Room Tip: No idea, its a huge hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel is a gem. This is a boutique hotel meaning that you are not in a 500 rooms supoermarket. The staff is courteous.The rooms are clean and the rates are very decent. The hotel is very close from the main shopping street and 20 minutes walk from the famous bond. I will definitely come back there on my next trips to Shangaï. The only potential improvement point is the breakfast which is nothing unforgetable.

Rutherford, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed 2 nights with my family and had a perfect experience. Our bathroom was huge and the Infinity Tub and steam shower were great. The bed was just what I needed and so were the chilled Negroni's at the bar. I will be back.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

I got an extremely good deal on my stay here - it was one of those "mystery hotel" deals from Wotif, although I'd done my research and I was well aware that it was going to be this hotel. This obviously colours my perception of my stay, as I paid about half the standard rate.

Check-in was a little dodgy: the staff at reception had no record of my booking. After a bit of discussion between themselves, they decided to believe me when I said I'd already booked and paid for the room, and checked me in. They dealt with the question of booking amongst themselves and directly with Wotif, and didn't disturb me about it until they'd resolved everything: I was impressed at how little this misunderstanding affected me. I did also have to remind them that my booking included free Internet (otherwise it's RMB 120 per day), but again they checked this and sorted it out to my satisfaction.

The lobby is lovely; it's among the best 1920s renovations I've seen anywhere. And my room was really very nice too. Again, the 1920s-style renovation was done beautifully - it was a very stylish room indeed. The bed was exceptionally comfortable, and there was a good chair and a nice big work desk. The Internet fee would have been pretty steep if it hadn't been included in my special deal, but Internet access was fast and easy.

A lot of hotels in China in this price range limit their foreign TV to news and sports channels, which is annoying after a long day at work. The Langham had HBO, AXN, National Geographic and Discovery: it was good to be able to watch some mindless entertainment. And there's a DVD player in the bedroom, with a USB socket, so you can watch your own DVDs and downloads (legal ones only, of course) too.

The bathroom was something special. It looked great, but it was functional too: the shower was excellent - nice and powerful, and with plenty of room in the shower cubicle. And the bath was enormous, and deep, and it had a TV at the end. (Note to guests: when you use the bathroom TV, the sound may seem very muffled. The speaker is in the cupboard under the bathroom sink - if you open the cupboard, the sound improves dramatically.)

I was there for business, but one day I had flu and had to postpone a meeting. I had an afternoon nap on the lovely comfortable bed, and then woke up and had a hot, deep bath while watching a James Bond film on HBO. I had room service that day, too - it was delicious, and it was delivered promptly. I felt rested and recovered enough after all that to get back to work the next day.

The location is great: you're one small block from People's Square, and two small blocks from Nanjing Road Pedestrian Area. It's less than 50 metres to the entrance to People's Square Metro station, and a short walk to The Bund. There's a very big food court in the basement of Raffles Plaza across the road from the hotel. The location would be great for tourists, but it was also very good for me, as it was on the Metro line and midway between my meetings in Pudong and Puxi. In spite of the very central location and the low rooms (I was on the 3rd floor), it was surprisingly quiet: the double glazing did an excellent job.

Even if I'd paid the normal price for my room, I'd have been very happy with this hotel. As it was, I was delighted. The room was lovely; the lobby was beautiful, the location was perfect, and the service was brilliant.