“A resounding ‘yes’”

Wed, 9/18
8:00 PM
Ranked #195 of 18,059 Restaurants in Shanghai
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Description: Zeitgeist is a piece of Bavaria in the heart of Shanghai - we place emphasis on tradition, honest cuisine and, above all, comfort. A home for friends, strangers, neighbors, whether young or old. Enjoy the good Bavarian cuisine, rich in Bavarian classics such as roasted pork, sausage specialties, hearty snacks (Brotzeit), but also juicy steaks, crisp salads and delicious desserts. With this we recommend a fresh draft beer from the barrel. Our quiet location, the sunny beer garden and warm, rugged and indigenous interior offers a perfect place with sense of tradition and comfort. We look forward to your visit!
Reviewed May 24, 2019 via mobile

This place has flavour, in more ways than one.

The beer is fresh, the mustard is strong and the owners hang off the bar at closing time regaling you with stories of Germans in Shanghai in days gone by. Check out the beer garden in the summer for a day of tipsy fun for all the family - just keep the kids away from ‘Nageln’...

Well worth a visit. The sausage platter is recommended.

Date of visit: May 2019
Write a reviewReviews (46)

Reviewed May 17, 2019

This place is excellent. Being a big fan of German food I come here quiet often. I ate the best "schweinshaxe" of my life, much better than the ones that I tried in Bavaria. Goes well with their draft lager! Also the location is very nice and the staff is cordial. Highly recommended!

Reviewed May 17, 2019

All of the food was phenomenal

and portions were huge. The environment is cozy and very authentic. During our short stay in Shanghai we were here twice because we enjoyed it so much. Don’t forget to make a reservation though, Tuesday night was packed but luckily, we got a seat at the bar to enjoy our meal.

Also they are serving the traditional white asparagus at the moment which is outstanding! They offer it with steak, salmon, traditional way and also have a very nice asparagus salad.

Hurry to get there and try it

Reviewed April 30, 2019 via mobile

In principle a good place, friendly staff, food tastes ok and for shanghai good for German food. Definitely not a price leader but cheaper than paulaner.
We had the bad experience that we ordered the pork knuckle online for discount and the res on the normal bill. This should have come with 2 free beers. Well it didn’t we only realized after we left thus we overpaid 110 rmb. Guess we won’t be back anytime soon.
Beer is probably imported from Germany but tastes to good as it is export and quick brewing process beer. Tastes low end for German standards. The white one is ok.

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank 354michaelt
DavidL15573, Owner at Zeitgeist Bavarian Eatery & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2019

Dear Michael,

First of all I would like to say that we are sorry that the discount on your bill wasn't given.
I am 100% sure that this was an honest mistake and the service staff forgot to take it off the bill which needs to be done manually.
Of course we are more than happy to reimburse the amount to you! you can either connect with me on WeChat (David-Lazi) and I will transfer it there or you come by in person and pick it up.

On the beer issue however I have to say I don't agree with you. Myself I am from Munich and we have several German partners who all are lovers of beer and I can assure you that the beer stands up to all German standards! It might not be your taste but definitely cannot claim that it's not good beers we are serving.

Nevertheless I don't want to argue on taste, so come on over again and I get you the missing discount and maybe we can try again one of our beers together (on me of course :)

Have a wonderful day,
David

Reviewed December 10, 2018

Spend an hour prior dinner during at the Christmas market in the back - nice but pretty crowded; Goose Christmas dinner was very nice and tasty - for people who like a bit more quite would not recommend the weekends now - better select a weekday

Date of visit: December 2018