“Good hotel, but too noisy for good sleep”

Courtyard Shanghai Xujiahui
Ranked #68 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I spent a few nights at this hotel in August 2011. The hotel is in a modern building, and check-in and other service staff was very good, friendly and helpful; there was definitely a welcoming feel to the hotel.

Rooms were very good here, with the only major drawback being that they were NOISY. Hongqiao Road, just outside the hotel, is a 6 to 8 lane highway which is busy with fast traffic at the best of times, and I could hear it very clearly through the window. The poor sound insulation disturbed my sleep, and I had to sleep with earplugs every night. For a business traveller, a quiet night is paramount, and this hotel falls short in this respect.

On another note, the hotel has some good food options nearby, including the restaurants in the various Xujiahui malls. If you can read Chinese, there is a good hot pot option nearby too, the ‘Little Sheep’ restaurant to the left of the main entrance (a few minutes down the road).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Shanghai Xujiahui

Reviewed August 21, 2011

This was more than I expected from a Courtyard Marriot. Most that I have stayed at are clean and nice but basic. This hotel was beautiful and had an amazing breakfast buffet with so many food options. The rooms are large and spacious.
My company book this hotel for all the guests visiting our Shanghai office. Everyone is always very happy with their stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Good for business trips. Food very expensive and not as good as eating out. Good fitness centre and central location. Staff friendly.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for business for nine days. the hotel is modern and includes laundry service, restaurant, bar and concierge service.

The rooms were pretty nice, although I wish that hotels in hot and humid locations would realize that carpet is not the way to go. After a few years, the humidity seeps into the carpet and doesn't let go. As a result, the rooms have an overall damp and musty feel and odor, which can be smelled immediately when you enter the room. The bed in my room was large and confortable, except that the bedding was a bit damp and musty smelling as well. The shower and bathroom area was great - spacious and clean. Two bottles of free water were supplied daily (although were forgotten on a couple of occasions).

The staff is extremely friendly and inviting, saying hi to all guests upon arrival outside, inside and all the way to the elevator bank. The restaurant served a decent variety of food, but the food itself was so-so.

I did use the laundry service, which was speedy but also overpriced (as it always is in hotels).

Pros: Good location (near subway, restaurants and shopping), restaurant in-house, friendly service, great shower
Cons: Musty-smelling rooms and linens; no black-out curtain on window

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2011

For full review: http://severewanderlust.com/2010/10/courtyard-shanghai-xujiahui/

The hotel is only a couple of years old, and is beautifully decorated in a very modern style. For those of you familiar with Courtyard hotels in the US, please note that the Courtyards in Asia are nothing like the ones back home. This hotel is a full service hotel and has all the amenities of 4 and 5 star hotels. The gym is fantastic! I used the gym daily, and there are gym attendants to sanitize all equipment after each use. Complimentary bottled waters are available at the gym for your workouts.

Overall, this is great place to stay, and in a very good location! I would definitely stay at the Courtyard Shanhai Xujiahui again when I come back to Shanghai!

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank CaitlinK
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Stayed for the 2nd time, and continue to really like this hotel for work trips to Shanghai. Nice rooms, good showers (hot water / pressure), <10 min to the Metro, near lots of restaurants and a grocery store.

Shares with other Chinese business hotels the not-for-the-shy glass cube bathroom and leaky shower (seriously, no caulk in China?). Will waive the internet cost if you are a member of the Marriott frequent stay program (which is free and can be joined on the spot).

The location is very convenient for me for work, maybe less for others - Xujiahui has a ton of stores and restaurants, but is kind of off the beaten path for most tourists; on the other hand, only 2 stops to the French Concession area, so not inconvenient at all.

Very comfortable, not too expensive, good location, no complaints.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

This must be the tenth or eleventh time I have been to Shanghai, and I have finally found a hotel that meets all my criteria. I was dubious, having stayed at a Courtyard in Beijing, which was rotten, but I thought that I would give this one a whirl.

I was very happily surprised. My room was very similarly laid out to a Renaissance Hotel room: with the glass wall to the bathroom, although slightly smaller. It had dual aspect windows, which made for a light airy feeling and a nice view, although unable to open the windows to air the room at all. The only grumble I had with the room was that there were no drawers - when I stay longer than two nights, I like to unpack.

I had lunch in the Momo restaurant on the second floor, which was nice enough. There is a buffet option, but I wasn't starving and just fancied some soup. As in any branded hotel it was pricey, at £10 for a bowl of soup and a glass of orange juice, but had I not been so lazy, I could have found cheaper food outside.

There is a good-sized indoor swimming pool and a large, well facilitated gym, with plenty of complimentary water.

The executive lounge is also a good size, and the breakfast here was probably the best executive lounge breakfast I've had anywhere: usually there are far less options, but here it was great. The complimentary hors d'ouvres and drinks in the evening run from 5.30pm to 9.30pm, which is very generous: some hotels have finished at 7.00pm to make sure that people don't fill up instead of buying dinner.

My only winge, and this is pedantic, was that I'd have liked to have been left in peace rather than to have the staff practice their english on me. five minutes is fair enough, but half an hour.... hard work having spent my day doing exactly the same for work!

There is a tailor in the reception, who will make suits and clothes. They repaired the zip on my skirt, which was handy, although expensive. The concierge was also very helpful in arranging my train ticket and sorting out the Chinese address of my next hotel.

The hotel is within walking distance of my main business contact, and near some large shopping malls. There is a great juice bar on the way to the shopping centre that I'd also recommend.

I did try booking this hotel in October 2010, but it was fully booked - probably due to the Shanghai Expo. I booked about ten days in advance this time, and will make sure I do so again to ensure that I have a reservation.

The Xujiahui Courtyard is still about 45minutes from Pudong, and that was at midnight, so daytime traffic will take longer. I will certainly stay here again. It has everything that a Renaissance offers on a smaller scale and at a better price. I have even booked into the Courtyard in Hangzhou, based on this experience.... read my Beijing Courtyard review to see what I mean. It has a lot to live up to so fingers crossed!

Room Tip: Book at least a week in advance
3  Thank WoodTiger77