“A wonderful way to shop”

Shopping Tours Shanghai-Day Tour
Shanghai Shopping Markets Small-Group Tour
Ranked #2 of 515 Shopping in Shanghai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Shopping in Shanghai? Come with Shopping Tours Shanghai! We are expat locals who have been living in Shanghai for many years. We know what Westerners like to shop for and we'll take you to all the best shopping spots in Shanghai including the fabric market for tailor-made garments, stand-alone shops, markets, silk, pearls, handbags and much, much more. We teach you a lot about Chinese culture as well as how to bargain and how much you should be paying to ease you into the Chinese way of bargaining. Leave with wonderful insights into Shanghai and your bags full. You also have the reassurance that unlike most shopping tours in China, your guide is not collecting commissions behind your back. We can also set you up for the rest of your trip with recommendations on what to do, where to go, what to see and what to miss! Our Best of Everything group tour is available for a full or half day and our private tours are ideal for those with limited time or special shopping requirements.
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I can highly recommend booking a shopping tour with Suzy. We spent 2 weeks in China visiting Beijing, Xian and Shanghai. Every tour we went on booked by the CITS included some form "unplanned shopping opportunity" because the guides get kick-backs from the businesses which became very frustrating. When we met up with Susy in Shanghai at the end of our trip, we spent 3 hours shopping. We had shirts made for my husband, pearl necklaces made for friends and family, and we bought silk pyjamas and a beautiful bedspread/inlet (which we totally love). Susy is wonderful and has a great personality but the best advice she gave us was to have fun as we negotiate our prices.

1  Thank Fi0na1965
in 10 reviews
"speaks fluent"
"custom tour"
in 9 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 12 reviews
"booked this tour"
in 7 reviews
"wealth of knowledge"
"private tour"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed May 4, 2010

I was initially disappointed when Suzy called to say she was sick and Paul would be taking us. Well, he was fantastic and fun to be with! Due to the fact that the only day we had for shopping was a Sunday we arranged a private tour. I think it is the way to go. We had his full attention and guidance and were not limited in time by others. I think perhaps we got to cover more than if we had been in a group.

Paul was duly waiting for us at the prearranged meeting spot, holding our red shopping bags filled with water and tissues (toilet paper is scarse in China). He even had change in his pocket for us girls desperately in need of the toilet.

First stop was the fabric market. He listened well to what we required and took us to the stalls where would get the best price and quality. He showed us the ropes when it came to bargaining - he is really funny to watch in action. His ability to talk the language was a great help as the vendors immediately recognised him as a local. Of course we shopped up a storm and I bought so much that he was eventually carrying my bags for me!

Next stop was the silk factory. Here we were shown how silk was made. I grew up having silk worms as a child so thought it may be boring. I was so impressed that I bought a duvet inner which I had to cart around China for the next week. Luckily they package and compress them to save space. Amazing how small a queen sized duvet inner can get.

We then went on to a fantastic homeware shopping area where I could have spent a fortune had I not had luggage weight contraints. We would never have got to see these stores if we had not been on the tour.

Finally we went to the Pearl market where I had to buy a suitcase (for only 100RMB) to cart all our purchases around and to get us home. Paul advised us what we should be paying for each item we were looking at buying so we knew if we were being ripped off or not.

Paul is extremely knowledgeable about Shanghai and we had so much fun that I would definately do the shopping tour again when we return.

Reviewed April 17, 2010

We enjoyed our day shopping with Emily - she took us to a variety of shopping venues and we bought something at nearly all of them! The good thing about this day was that Emily was able to provide us with appropriate price guides which we then used in other places - a great help when you are not keen on the whole bargaining thing. We were able to do most of the shopping we wanted to do while on the tour which was terrific. Emily was very pleasant and was able to answer lots of our questions about Shanghai.

2  Thank luciafrancesca
Reviewed March 20, 2010

I had the most wonderful day with Suzy on this shopping tour. I booked to go on the tour as I was in the city by myself, and it was such a great day. Not only was the shopping fabulous, but Suzy is only too happy to give recommendations for restaurants and all sorts of things. She is excellent company and has a great knowledge of the city as well as the shopping. She helped me out with a troublesome phone - nothing was a problem for her! As others have said, do take this tour - you will love it and come away with fabulous things.

1  Thank TravellerEnZed
See more reviews
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Wow what an experience. Suzie is truly fabulous, adds the sparkle and excitement to your day. The trip is worth every "yuan" whether you go along for the shopping, the diverse vendor experience or for the valuable hints and tips on making the most of your stay in Shanghai. May be even for the best meal in town - which was certainly our experience especially being vegetarian Suzie took great care that we ate well. On the trip you will learn so much about Shanghai and its people, you will gain confidence for getting around and you will get so much more out of your holiday after one of these shopping trips.
Suzie ensures you are not overcharged and gives a recommendation of how much you should be paying. You are even trained to barter if you fancy - no worries though if you don't want to - Suzie's always at the ready to negotiate for you.
As mentioned in other feedback Suzie ensures you go to reputable tailors and shops and this really means you won't be too hassled by the vendors etc. If your items aren't ready to take away with you (as with mine) then Suzie does a great service of picking them up for you and sending them on. She really is fantastic.
The day's trip went far too quickly and we really did not want it to come to a close - but all good things must. This trip was taken with my sister (as her retirement holiday) but I have already mentally booked another Shanghai Shopping Trip when I will hopefully visit Shanghai with my husband sometime in the future.
Not enough words can sum up the total experience of this trip - it's such fun and you get so much out of it - it's a real must if you visit Shanghai.

1  Thank FlyingVicar