Review Highlights
Fantastci Day with MJ and Vanessa

MJ was fantastic from booking through ensuring our purchases were correct and were mailed to our... read more

Reviewed November 27, 2018
Melissa C
Atlanta, Georgia
Shopping tours extraordinaire!

Loved our tours with MJ, Caroline and Victoria. Loved the personal care and attention. There were... read more

Reviewed November 16, 2018
denisemj62
Hamilton
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Shanghai
from $56.00
from $30.80
from $38.00
from $55.00
More Info
All reviews fabric market silk factory custom made dumplings eye glasses silk duvet tailored clothing knew exactly where pearl market speaks fluent would highly recommend this tour booked this tour wealth of knowledge private tour fantastic tour mj vendors
Reviewed May 16, 2018 via mobile

Having done the Best of Everything last year and having a fabulous time, we decided to try the Going Local tour. When booking I answered a brief questionnaire on what I wanted to buy do we met all our goals. We travelled briefly in a local bus and also the metro. A good way to try Local transport if you’ve only used taxis.

We were given a quick tour of the “approved” shops and given business cards of each one so that we could then easily return to the ones we wanted to (they had numbers). At each of the approved shops there was no need to bargain as the red shopping bag (provided) ensured we got the pre-negotiated “best price”, and we weren’t harassed.

MJ is a mine of information about things to do and places to eat locally and her “after sales” service is wonderful if you run into any problems.

We had a couple of problems with things made but they happily rectified them. MJ talked to the leather man for us when the jacket collar wasn’t quite right as her jacket had the same collar. Everything turned out well and the process was so easy.

The Yangs dumplings for lunch were just as good as I had remembered and were enjoyed by the others on the tour.

Another great tour. Thanks MJ

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed May 6, 2018 via mobile

This was our 3rd school trip to China with a groups of girls averaging 17 years. As with the other two it was an absolute highlight.

The care, attention and enthusiasm of our guides was much appreciated and the range of clothing ordered was extensive; coats, jackets of all descriptions and of course ball dresses. At a fraction of the cost at home the girls were thrilled with the results the tailors recommended by Shopping Tours Shanghai achieved.

I have also done the best of everything Tour a few times with friends and all have been highly successful for price and variety. All would do again and whilst the bargains were amazing and shopping extensive all wished they had bought more.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed May 1, 2018

Our first experience of shopping in Shanghai and MJ was fantastic. Our husbands and teenage girls tagged along so we had a broad "wish list" and we all had the best time. We decided to do the "going local" tour to experience as much as we could in a short time and I highly recommend. Next time I am booking full day tour and going alone with a well loaded credit card.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a great day with MJ and Vanessa. We weren’t sure what we might want - custom clothes - eyeglasses- pearls - but we got all of that and more! MJ and Vanessa gave us a thorough tour of the silk market and then let us return to the vendors we were most interested. The custom clothing we bought - sports coats- silk blouses - leather jackets were made to perfection and delivered to our hotel as promised. We went to a govt. silk factory and ended up buying bedding we never planned to get - but love it! MJ and Vanessa also took us to some small shops in the French Concession, pointed out souvenirs I would not have bought on my own, and we ended up at the eyeglasses and pearl shop. I am in love with our eye glasses and the pearls I got were exactly what I wanted. The great part about all of this shopping was we didn’t have to barter - this isn’ t something we wanted to do - so that was a bonus!
We had a delicious lunch break and sampled some of the best dumplings too for a snack! Yum. And with all of this we learned all about living in Shanghai from MJ and Vanessa. Thanks for sharing with us (and Vanessa we took your suggestion for the Lost Plate food tour in Xi’an- terrific).
We would definitely recommend this tour to any Shanghai visitors. A great way to see the markets - and there is no obligation to buy anything at all. Walking the markets is a treat in and of itself.
Thanks again!

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank Beth R
Reviewed November 24, 2017 via mobile

My sister and I planned a shopping trip with MJ while spending a long weekend in Shanghai. Where do I even begin to describe how wonderful this shopping trip is?!?

Beginning with our communication with MJ, she immediately returns emails, makes setting up the tour and the deposit as easy and simple as it can be. Once confirmed she sends tips for moving around Shanghai and additional tips to make your shopping tour successful. The communication is seamless.

The day of the tour, Caroline met us at our hotel and though we had our shopping goals in our heads, she had read our email in advance and knew exactly where to take us and make the most of our time together. We hired a private car to take us around which I highly recommend. Don't waste your precious time on your shopping tour flagging down cabs or taking the subway. There is so much to do and see on this tour that the best way to maximize your time is by hiring a driver. Caroline recommend things that we had not even thought of, which were some of our best purchases. She is a skilled communicator, has excellent taste and helped us navigate through the many choices in the markets. Not to mention she is a extremely smart, interesting and fun person!!
We had a couple of hard-to-find items for gifts for family members and she pinpointed exact gifts that were so well received by everyone at home.
It is clear that she is so well respected by all the market vendors and they worked very hard on her behalf to satisfy us in finding things we needed, (especially when we had things custom made) getting them turned around and sent to our hotel within one day.
Both my sister and I said that this was one of the greatest experiences we have ever had in our travels. We can't wait to go back and do this all again with MJ and Caroline.
If you are looking to do some shopping in Shanghai, I highly recommend this tour!!! It is worth every penny!

Date of experience: November 2017