“A refreshing change for vegetarians in Shanghai”

ZaoZiShu (JiangNing)
Ranked #556 of 17,112 Restaurants in Shanghai
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We have been visiting this restaurant (West Nanjing Road) for almost 4 years now - they kept the quality great, ambient cozy and kept changing items all the time. Highly recommended if you are vegetarian and like to try different style of cuisine

2  Thank Sunil N

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Wow. This restaurant could make me a vegetarian for life. Every dish was incredible. It's not a fancy restaurant, but there's a reason it's one of the highest rates in TripAdvisor of all restaurants, not just vegetarian. It was better than Wujie on the Bund -- which is much fancier. In retrospect, I wish we had just gone back to Vegetarian Lifestyle that night for dinner as well instead of the Wujie on the Bund. Although it was nice to get some night pictures of the skyscrapers on the Bund.

2  Thank Pamanimalrescue
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I went to the outlet at Fengxian Road, a 5-minute walk from Exit 1 of the Nanjing West Road metro station on Line 2. Easy to reach there even with luggage. I was so pleased with this place that I went back for 4 meals in 5 days. I tried the Mapo Doufu (spicy tofu), which was consistently good. The vegetarian spare ribs, ribs in Wuxi style, and vegetarian sliced steak were all very good too. I did try the dumplings and the Spicy Soup Noodles (Mala Mian - 麻辣面) -- skip these. Bland, not enough seasoning. Most of the dishes however were well-seasoned and tasted good. Price-wise I would expect to spend about 70-90 RMB for an average meal with 2-3 main dishes and rice, which can be shared with another friend and eaten to satisfaction.

Definitely coming back for a meal every time I visit Shanghai!

3  Thank Rozaine s
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This restaurant offers very good vegetarian dishes at decent price. The main entree size is good, some of the dishes serve small portion for the price, however the taste is good.

1  Thank Shashikant B
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Finding vegetarian food in China can be tricky so this place seemed like an oasis in a desert. We ordered a few different dishes to share, most were delicious, one was totally disappointing (shrimps in pandan leaves or something like that). But it made a very nice alternative, as I say, glad I went but because the food wasn't amazing, and a little expensive I wasn't keen to go back.
Though having said that, my boyfriend, who isn't a vegetarian, enjoyed it more than I did. I was quite put off by the way they try to make the food look like meat, as a vegetarian, I didnt like that. This probably makes it a great place to go if you have both meat-eaters and veggies in your group!

1  Thank Jessi S