“Finally, a decent vegetarian restaurant in China”

ZaoZiShu (JiangNing)
Ranked #330 of 16,906 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Kuala Lumpur
“Finally, a decent vegetarian restaurant in China”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

In a country where eating meat is the symbolic of wealth, China is a literally a hell for vegetarian. So my family and I were so happy to get to know this place after days of struggling with what to eat.

We had spring roll, salt spicy lotus root and tomato mushroom soup. They are all delicious. Not too oily, taste just right. The lotus root is especially appertising, goes well with rice. The choice in the menu is quite extensive, there are definately more interesting dishes to try. And the price is not too expensive.

The place is clean and decor is nice and classy, making it suitable for formal gathering or business meal. Recommended even your are not vegetarian, worth to give it a try.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank toymakerlt

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Won't Miss The Meat”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Great Chinese Vegetarian food. Amazing soup dumplings, tough to find dumplings this good that are not meat.

3 Thank ssamtani
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Absolutely fabulous”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Visited two of their branches, in May and October. I love chinese food and would go here first the next I am in Shanghai. The money is huge, so you can eat here forever and still experience something new. The variety of mushrooms that are cooked in 101 ways, exquisite flavours and wonderful presentation make the experience of eating here complete. Great eye for detail and easy for non-chinese speaking visitors. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank MarijnHG
Melbourne, Australia
“Interesting choices for vegetarians”
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I'm not a vegetarian; however I tend to end vegetarian 3 times a week. The food here offers very interesting choices - mock meat dishes. The pork spare ribs and Beijing duck very both very good. I wouldn 't want to eat this mock type of food all the time - but it is good and provides a variety. Definitely check it out - vegetarian or not.

Only bad point - I like beer/wine - they do not sell any alcohol.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank TheScout
West Yellowstone, Montana
“So good even my meat-eating husband enjoyed it!”
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I'm not a strict vegetarian at home (more a flexetarian, as they say) but decided I wanted to eat Vegetarian in China to avoid consuming anything I might not normally eat at home (if you catch my drift). Given that plan, I decided to research vegetarian eateries in Shanghai to try to get to during our trip and this one came up with good reviews.
We did have a bit of trouble finding it, but we were well-rewarded with tasty food that even my meat-eating husband thoroughly enjoyed. I'm posting photos to help with finding the place. Follow the directions on the previous review and use the photos to find it visually when you get to the right area.
When we did arrive, we found a wait to be seated. We asked the hostess if she spoke English and she said yes and commenced to communicate with us as well as could be asked for to take our info (size of party, etc) and gave us a number. We then sat down and waited in the small vestibule/lobby area to wait. I took the photo of the happy face signifying their excellent inspection record while waiting. After a bit, the same hostess who'd just spoken to us in English started calling out something in Mandarin. Nobody else got up, but we figured she knew we didn't speak Mandarin, so she must not be calling us. When she called it out a second time and we still didn't react, another patron waiting for her table asked us (In English) if we held that number and told us that was what she was saying. We found it odd that the hostess did not make an effort to get our attention in English, but that was a minor point. We were seated and we were happy.

Next we were given tea and a small complimentary pre-meal dish of fruits to sample while perusing the menu. As a previous reviewer mentioned, the menu is extensive, but we also had a bit of trouble interpreting it. There were pages and pages of various dishes, all pictured, and we knew all were safe because this was a vegetarian restaurant, but we weren't clear if the items on every page were available to be ordered since some said something about being new during past months. At any rate, we picked out a few things and were able to point to them for our non-English-speaking server and figured they'd let us know if that was a problem. Interestingly, bottled water was not an option, so we drank only the hot tea (which I did not enjoy the taste of) on this very hot day for lack of understanding our options. We did get some occasional help from another server in the restaurant who spoke English, but we were seated near the kitchen and we did have some trouble gaining the attention of any server, including the one designated for our table. I don't judge this too harshly since I don't know the customs of serving at restaurants in China, but it did make me wonder after the incident with the hostess.

The food was absolutely fabulous in every way. My husband, who is normally quite the carnivore, was going nuts over the eggplant dish we got and the "Magic Mushrooms" I ordered were quite tasty, as well. We also requested two side servings of steamed white rice. The steamed buns were not as much to our liking, and due to communication problems, we ended up with twice as many as we'd planned to order. But in all, the total bill was $15 US, so how could we complain about anything? We were well-fed to the point of leaving food on the table and I was quite satisfied with a dining out option that did not have me wondering if what I was getting was truly vegetarian.

I would definitely recommend this place to anybody looking for a vegetarian dining option in Shanghai, or even just looking for a clean restaurant that serves fabulously fresh food. If we had been there longer, we would have returned!

2 Thank Adventuritis