“Groupon Prebook = Money”

ShangHai DaYu (RuiJin)
Ranked #3,485 of 17,249 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Huaihai Road
Neighborhood: Huaihai Road
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Once you find it, reward yourself with some sake and sashimi. Very fresh! Wasabi is the tubular kind, but it took my breath away and made my eyes water just the same! Good service, excellent eye contact and attentiveness. They were really popping. They have their servers take basic Japanese classes - a testament to the thorough training. Our Menu was set, got a Monday night deal through Groupon. Steak 'n onions excellent, shrimp good, a really solid experience here overall. Would go back again.

Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

It was one of the good food experiences I have so far. it's just not the taste alone but the environment and the preparation. altogether it was a good show.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Looking at the other reviews, I styled the title of my review accordingly. Prices are going up, but we still had a lovely meal for 5 people, 200RMB per person. We visited this place twice as we wanted to go again and see how much we could eat. You can walk from line 10 Metro, South Shaanxii Road. Go north 1 block to Huaihai road, then east along Huaihai to where it intersects Ruijin road, then 1 block north. On the corner, inside the Bank of China building and up an escalator.
I'm surprised this place hasn't got a higher rating than it has. Granted it was somewhat hard to find, but it's a fairly large restaurant. Service was good, we had the eat all you can for 200 both times and we are fairly obsessed sushi/sashimi eaters. Drinks including alcohol are for free. In both cases we were seated at the cooking table and it's a treat to watch the cooks make your dinner. We were 5 people, it was room for 10-12 people around each of the two tables and additional seating if you didn't want to see things being made.
Great variety and stuff we've never eaten at a Japanese restaurant. We didn't recognize all the types of sashimi, but in addition to the standard fare, at least some was from octopus and it tasted lovely. Quite a bit of salmon in there, not that exciting since we're from one of the big exportering countries, but tasty nonetheless. We ordered set meals for the sashimi, but obviously you could pick whatever you want from their menu. In addition to sushi, nashimi, nigiri we also had many of their fried dishes all of which tasted lovely and was prepared in front of us. We had the banana and ice for dessert and the cook made a big fire for them, mixing some flammable scary liquid on the cooking platter and alighting it. This didn't occur on our second visit, and we mentioned this, then the cook just made a fire for show. It got so hot it almost took our eyebrows off and the entire table leaned back. Well, the cook survived he was after all really close to it :) Good stuff.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Choose this place because it was relatively close to where we were staying (four seasons). It is inside a bank of china building, with no large signs outside, but once you enter the building, which is on a corner, there are signs and go up to the second floor. Specify that you want all you can eat, and then choose from the menu. We were lucky to have a seat where the chef cooks everything right in front of you. A pleasant surprise that it really was all you can eat and drink. A definite must!

Reviewed September 15, 2011

There is more than one location for the Tairyo Teppanyaki branch. But so far I have only been to this one and have had no problems.

I am usually skeptical about any raw fish in Asia, most especially China. I used to work in an authentic Japanese restaurant with real Japanese chefs so I was quite impressed with this grill-house. For a modern-Chinese- take on Japanese cuisine, it is quite fulfilling for its price. Not everything is authentically Japanese of course but it was worth my money. My friends agree with me and we all had a fantastic time watching a live teppanyaki show.

I have been to this location twice and have been satisfied so far. It is all you can eat and drink for a flat price for each person and they take all international credit cards! My Mandarin was quite poor when I arrived on the busiest days of all which was new year's eve! Surprisingly they were very polite and patient with me waiting for the rest of my party to arrive. They were not rude to me at all despite how long we were there that night. Since we stayed until after midnight to wish everyone 'Happy new year', we ended up being the very last customers. On behalf of the holidays they were nice enough to keep serving us beer and sake without any extra fees!

One important fact, you must make a reservation for the teppanyaki service. The sushi and sashimi are surprisingly fresh. Personally i think this place is worth going with a group of people, small or large. You must order the whole service with everything on the menu or it is not worth your time. Unlimited alcohol is also included. Try to avoid traffic time so you may order more food after the first batch. If you need to, repeat your order twice just to confirm your order because sometimes it can get noisy. It's best to avoid any miscommunication. Their English is not 100% fluent but they are very patient with their customers and they seem to want to get everything right.