“Great hotpot meal”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband, daughter and I had a great meal here recently and of course we over ordered. It was always going to be a challenge as our daughter is vegetarian and we are not! Problem solved as we each had our own hotpot stock dish to cook our own food and what a spread we had. Platter of meat for 2, platters of tofu, lotus roots, noodles, greens, fish balls etc and we had choices of dipping sauces and buffet fruit to finish off. The menu was extensive and so many choices available for every diner.

The food was fresh and plentiful and the staff helpful. It is a very busy restaurant but at no time were we rushed to finish.

This is one of a chain and great eating concept.

There are newer reviews for Dou Lao Fang (BaiLeMen)

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My Chinese colleague took me in this restaurant for last dinner before I left Shanghai, and I this is one of my best memory of great food I had tried in China. It doesn´t look very nice from outside, especially after a ride by crowded elevator to 5th floor (If I remember it correctly), but it is worth to be there! Don´t be worry to wait for free place a longer time, what is very usual. You can sit and watch local TV).
Really excellent food, very nice service and great atmosphere. You will get your own hot pot to cook whatever you like from really wide selection (we had mainly a sea food, meat slices and some vegetable and mushrooms) and final soup after all this cooking is also excellent. Super is that you can prepare your own dip for many different sauces and spices. Be creative and don’t be worry to mix different tastes. Waiter will give you a plastic bag to save your mobile to keep it clean while “you will be on cloud nine”. I consider it for very useful because your table will be very busy, I think.
My best recommendation to visit this restaurant.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

There are a number of dolar shop restaurants in town but we had ours at 229 Nanjing dong lu at HongYi mall,at the 5th floor.This is a macau chain of hot pot restaurant.Compared to the usual simple decorated hot pot joints,Dolar shop has a uniquely fancy and beautiful interior.
Pretty good for a relaxing evening and entertaining friends as there is enough space for everyone.However at weekends the crowd could be mind boggling and reservations is a must,
I had noticed that as there is a good mixture of locals and tourists customers the pricing here is a little steep.
As the name of the shop implies you must be willing to depart with your dolar!!! here.
Another different trait here is as opposed to a normal central cauldron where everybody shares the soup or broth,here everyone has his or her own small cauldron.,on top of that they have 10 different choices of broth for you to choose from.
The menu could be confusing for those who are not familiar with Chinese hot pot though and you may need the recommendations of the waitress.
There is a do it yourself sauce bar where you could concoct your own taste too. Taste ranging from dip hot spicy sauce to traditional soy sauce,fermented soybean,fish paste,calamari,mala and bbq etc.the choice is quite endless haha.
You would then be required to order the items of food that you wish to cook in the pot.There is quite a broad variety from pork and beef meat balls,to pork intestines and tender spicy or plain mutton slices,thin slices of fish meat.,also dumplings,noodles and vegetables as well.The soup gets tastier and thicker as you get longer with the cooking as we believe that the best part always settle down at the bottom.,and the best always wait till the last.
The food is fresh and im very particular with fish.
Its always fun and nutty, mixing all those things that you like.A good thing is they even have sashimi.,nicely presented.I would say that most of the dishes have great presentations including the meat and seafood.
As time is on our side it is always nice to take your time as one should not hurry on eating hotpot.One point is I never conduct business meetings over hot pot as it is not conducive as one tends to get really hot in the process,sweating and perspiring should be kept off in meetings and business where one has to be cooool.........
However service is just average as sometimes I need to remind them a few times to get things done.That was quite annoying at times.
Prices is a little bit higher than others for the same items as most hotpot restaurants have more or less the same menu in different forms.
For a good environment this place is good and food not bad,but just like anywhere else we Chinese tend to get a bit too noisey when eating.
For taste wise and service Haidilao hotpot gets my vote.

2  Thank bennystar99
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Visited as a group of 6 on a Sunday, prebooked and got a private room.

Very good service from the word go, easy to use menu for foreigners and once you choose your soup base (no-one had any complaints, I enjoyed the mushroom very much!) you can order a good steady stream of food to cook and eat at your leisure.

The seafood was really good, the calamari paste and fish paste in particular because they had a great flavour but were not overly 'fishy' as they sometimes can be with this kind of dish.

The meats were also good, look a bit too fatty but taste great.

Prices very reasonable, we ate for a couple of hours plus drinks for 1250 per person - will be back.

And the great thing is that with individual hot pot no-one else can grab your food!

Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

long queue if you come during dinner time, especially weekends. Expect to wait for 30 min to 1 hour. The food is acceptable. Price wise this is mid range. Very noisy place, kids, parents, grand parents, all yelling and doing their thing. When in rome... i mean, china.