“Great experience!”

Ranked #3 of 110 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explore Shanghai by vintage sidecar motorbike. Recently recommended by TIME magazine, National Geographic Traveller, Vogue or ELLE Magazine across 38 countries; Shanghai Insiders offers you the most original way to venture out and explore Shanghai off the beaten tracks while quenching your own centers of interests, might it be architecture, photography, food, art, etc. Enjoy an open-air adventure comfortably seated in the side-car of a classic motorbike. Every tour is tailor made by your insider who is an expat who has been living in Shanghai for a minimum of 3 years. Shanghai Insiders is the friend of a friend you wished you had in a city you do not know. Don't forget to ask for our champagne option!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
shanghai
“Great experience!”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Even though I have been living in Shanghai for over 3 years now, I still discovered many new streets and buildings!
Riding the side was just awesome, so much fun and our guide was kind enough to explain and share with us his knowledge about the city, its architecture.
Anyone looking for an original way to discover Shanghai, I definitively advice them to get on a side!
Feeling like a rider now!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Alberta
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Unique way to see Shanghai”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I had already been in China for a week and was terrified of the driving. It's very different from the driving in North America! I was getting very nervous waiting for the motorcycle to arrive at my hotel and thinking about canceling. When Coco came to pick me up in her pink motorcycle and sidecar, I thought that at least I would go out in style! I was pleasantly surprised - I felt the most safe with Coco driving. Way more safe than in any of the taxis I had been in!

We had a beautiful day and Coco took me to see her favourites sights in Shanghai. I had a blast! It was a great, unique way to see Shanghai.

2 Thank Daisy_Alberta
Brussels, Belgium
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 307 helpful votes
“To do, To bike in Shanghai”
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Opt for this tailor made tour of the town in a original side car. After a daytour in the gigantism of the world expo, a daywalking tour without end in this crazy city, let you drive by Thomas or an other driver. He drive us far of the classical pathways, he shows his gems of the town, his secrete place, his good friends. Thomas and certainly his team know his town and transmit their love for Shanghai. He tell you a lot of anecdotes, stories,...You are in a travel, suddenly far of the busy China. You will fall in love of this and his town. After 4 hours, only my planning flights awake me to the reality.

3 Thank HDLBruxelles
Singapore, Singapore
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 311 helpful votes
“Shanghai Sean Connery style”
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Shanghai by vintage motorcycle sidecar. This is truly a unique way of touring around the city. It’s actually quite comfortable, with plenty of leg room and it’s really a lot less life-threatening than Sean Connery made it look in that movie “Indiana Jones and the Last crusade”.

Sitting in that sidecar, there’s nothing between you and Shanghai’s uninhibited, gritty, and wildly-contrasting sights, neighborhoods in both Pudong and Puxi and the Bund. Nothing, not even the cold could stop us from hopping onto the back of a stranger’s motorbike and speeding down Shanghai’s suburban roads, the wind in our hair. We were in search of adventure and Shanghai Sideways delivered. After all, there’s nothing like the sensation of the cold wind hitting your face and the hot rumble of a motorbike beneath you to get the adrenaline pumping
(www.perfyi.wordpress.com)

2 Thank pauljer
Stuart, FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“One of the Best Experiences of our Trip”
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We are in our late 50's and have no experience with motorcycles, so this tour was a bit out of character for us. We had never been to Shanghai before but we were intrigued after reading about Shanghai Sideways here on Tripadvisor.

We are so glad that we took this tour. It was fun, safe, and we saw things we never could have seen any other way during our brief visit to Shanghai. Before booking, I had been concerned about sitting behind the driver and considered whether we might be better off with two drivers so that both of us could sit in a sidecar. Thomas told us that he could provide a second driver but that we would probably have more fun if we only had one. He was right! Bertrand was our driver/tour guide and he did a wonderful job. We told him generally what kind of things we wanted to see and he took it from there.

Highlights included the ferry ride to the other side of the Bund, the Insect Market (like a pet store with thousands of bugs, birds, snakes, and very unusual sights), and cruising through the alleyways and back streets of the city. We also made a good move-- we asked to be dropped off at a shopping area instead of back to the hotel.

I would do this again and give it a very high recommendation.

3 Thank Floridasummers