“One of the Best Experiences of our Trip”

Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour
Ranked #3 of 123 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explore Shanghai by vintage sidecar motorbike. Recently recommended by TIME magazine, National Geographic Traveller, Vogue or ELLE Magazine across 38 countries; Shanghai Insiders offers you the most original way to venture out and explore Shanghai off the beaten tracks while quenching your own centers of interests, might it be architecture, photography, food, art, etc. Enjoy an open-air adventure comfortably seated in the side-car of a classic motorbike. Every tour is tailor made by your insider who is an expat who has been living in Shanghai for a minimum of 3 years. Shanghai Insiders is the friend of a friend you wished you had in a city you do not know. Don't forget to ask for our champagne option!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We are in our late 50's and have no experience with motorcycles, so this tour was a bit out of character for us. We had never been to Shanghai before but we were intrigued after reading about Shanghai Sideways here on Tripadvisor.

We are so glad that we took this tour. It was fun, safe, and we saw things we never could have seen any other way during our brief visit to Shanghai. Before booking, I had been concerned about sitting behind the driver and considered whether we might be better off with two drivers so that both of us could sit in a sidecar. Thomas told us that he could provide a second driver but that we would probably have more fun if we only had one. He was right! Bertrand was our driver/tour guide and he did a wonderful job. We told him generally what kind of things we wanted to see and he took it from there.

Highlights included the ferry ride to the other side of the Bund, the Insect Market (like a pet store with thousands of bugs, birds, snakes, and very unusual sights), and cruising through the alleyways and back streets of the city. We also made a good move-- we asked to be dropped off at a shopping area instead of back to the hotel.

I would do this again and give it a very high recommendation.

3  Thank Floridasummers

Reviewed April 22, 2010

If you're looking to get off thebeaten path with people who really know Shanghai, you owe it to yourself to try Shanghai Sideways. Even better...if you've never been in a sidecar before, you're going to have a blast. I did and will be back again! Thanks guys. - Keith

1  Thank KeithFG
Reviewed April 17, 2010

We did the 4 hour tour with Shanghai Sideways on two bikes and enjoyed the experience. My husband travelled with Kawan who was an excellent guide, while I travelled with a new member of the team, Bill, who perhaps didn't have the same level of knowledge as Kawan. This was an interesting way to see the city and we certainly saw the local side of Shanghai which is what we requested; however, this tour does not come cheap. I think we probably could have had the same experience on the 2 hour tour.

2  Thank luciafrancesca
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Dear Thomas,

We enjoyed our time with Kewen. I wanted my wife to have confidence in riding a bike. I wanted to show her what it is like and the feeling you get from it. I want her to back ride with me as it is easier to build up confidence with three wheels vs two wheels.

I particularly liked the slaughterhouse. The design was very creative and a genius. It was even a genius when they converted it to offices. Also, the former HSBC mosaic was beautiful!

The cold was not a bother because I was riding behind Kewen. It is like having a big fairing in front of you. What is worse is riding a naked bike with wet clothes after a downpour! Now, that is cold!

I wanted to spend more time in the antique market and the french area but time did not permit it.

I would recommend Shanghai sideways anytime!

Thanks again,

Butch

P.S. Thanks for the wine, we were celebrating our 13th year anniversary together!

1  Thank Butch96
Reviewed March 15, 2010

My husband and I recently took visiting friends on a 4hour sideways tour and if I had to pick one word to describe it, that word would be AMAZING!!! I don't care if you've lived in Shanghai for years or you have just one day here, if you don't take advantage of one of their tours, you're truly missing out on THE most incredible way to see this city!

From the moment I spoke with Thomas on the phone, I knew I was dealing with a professional . These guys know their stuff and it shows in every aspect of their operation. To say we were impressed is putting it mildly!

We also opted for the video of our tour and I am so glad we did! Set to the music of our choice, it highlights all of us together on the bikes creating a wonderful memory that will last a lifetime. This is some of the best money you could ever spend. Period.

This was our first trip sideways but most definitely will not be our last!
Thank you Thomas!!!!