“Great way to see Shanghai from a different perspective”

Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour
Ranked #3 of 123 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explore Shanghai by vintage sidecar motorbike. Recently recommended by TIME magazine, National Geographic Traveller, Vogue or ELLE Magazine across 38 countries; Shanghai Insiders offers you the most original way to venture out and explore Shanghai off the beaten tracks while quenching your own centers of interests, might it be architecture, photography, food, art, etc. Enjoy an open-air adventure comfortably seated in the side-car of a classic motorbike. Every tour is tailor made by your insider who is an expat who has been living in Shanghai for a minimum of 3 years. Shanghai Insiders is the friend of a friend you wished you had in a city you do not know. Don't forget to ask for our champagne option!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I've been living in Shanghai as an expat for 11 years, and I wanted to treat a visiting friend (who also lived in Shanghai years ago) to something a little different -- so I booked a two-hour tour with Shanghai Insiders. It was really fabulous -- seeing "my" city from the back of a motorcycle (my friend had the sidecar) was seeing my city from a completely different perspective. Our guide, Simon, was very knowledgeable and capable with his motorcycle/sidecar, and we enjoyed chatting with him throughout the tour. Our tour started in the later afternoon, and I really enjoyed as it turned to early evening and the city's lights came on. We hired their photographer option, so we were accompanied by a second motorcycle/sidecar that carried our photographer. I just received the photos, and they're really well done.

NyEdward, Owner at Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Many die die for your kind words!

Touring with an 11 years Shanghai expat and managing to deliver is quite something!

I hope we'll get a chance to show you Xian or Yunnan in style too in the future!

There are newer reviews for Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is my third time to Shanghai and one of the best things I have ever done to date. Such fun! The trip was easy to arrange by email and we advised the company that we did not fancy the tourist schlep of temples etc and wanted to see the quirky and interesting side to Shanghai. I am certain they can arrange any itinerary to suit the customer whether you are new to the city or resident there. There were 2 of us and the price was 1400 RMB including pick up at a pre-arranged spot and drop off at our hotel in the old French Concession some 2 hours later.

Our driver/guide was a Swiss chap named Shane, I believe, who has lived in Shanghai for a number of years. We agreed to the final itinerary upon meeting him and were super excited when we hopped onto the antique bike and into the sidecar. Helmets are provided if you wish to wear them but they are not mandatory and whilst it spotted with rain during our trip we both declined the wet weather gear. What a thrill the trip was. Shane was extremely knowledgeble and interesting and we felt extremely safe as we zoomed around the city. Our tour was on a Sunday afternoon so traffic felt a little lighter.

We were taken to an old art deco mansion house that the Japanese had occuped during the occupation and which was now an art gallery. Then onto the Marriage Market at People's Park that is held every Saturday and Sunday afternoon for parents and grandparents to matchmake their offspring by advertising through agents and adverts. Fascinating! Our visit to the old American Concession showed us a side of Shanghai I would never had seen. There was such a different vibe to this part where we visited a renovated slaughterhouse now containing shops and restaurants. The building was very Escher like. The Astor Hotel is an art deco building and the lobby contained photos of previous visitors including Charlie Chaplin. Following a thrilling spin down the Bund with the wind in our hair we had stroll through the Old Quarter and its food street containing a plethora of sights and smells.

Not once did we feel hurried on our tour and as Shane certainly knew his stuff and appeared interested in the history and architecture and culture of Shanghai as there was no rote script to his commentary as there often is with other tour guides. We bid our farewells with smiles on our faces and fantastic memories of a different Shanghai we would not have experienced had we not been our own Wallace and Grommit for the day. Absolutely recommended!

NyEdward, Owner at Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Many thanks for your very kind and long review! This made our best swiss insider's day!

I hope we'll be lucky enough to take you on another of our tours through out China!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just a wonderful experience if you want to end your day with a smile book a tour with Shanghai insiders, I can't add anything to what you can read in the other reviews, only that I end the day with a smile!
Leo

Thanks Leo, you've just put a smile on our face too!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have just done the 4 hour mighty tour....and it was one of the best things i have done on any holiday!
We had Shane as our tour guide...and he was fantastic. By the end of the tour I had experienced Shanghai; past, present and future! ...and not only that, had a great fun ride on a sidecar which i have always wanted to do!
I ride a bike at home, but to be part of the vibrant traffic of Shanghai was something i would never imagine myself doing! Along the way you feel part of Shanghai. Shane talks about many different aspects of the people and its history and you start to understand much more about China, Shanghai, its culture, and what it is like to live and do business here.
Shane took us to some historical areas, current impoverished ones and we saw how changes are occurring to these areas. In some cases demolishing these while relocating people and turning some into very cool lane ways with cafes, bars and shops... We also saw art quarters and graffiti areas which is pretty unusual here. It was good to see expression of views! Communism meets capitalism - an interesting mix!
I felt safe on the tour, but there is no other way to ride in the traffic than the way they do, so it does provide a fun and at times exciting trip!
There are several stops along the way to see the different areas and take photos.
It was a bit cold in the afternoon, so take something warm.
Shane tells us the licenses for bikes and cars have a limited time, and we hope the sidecar doesn't become one of things removed from the streets!!... They are old military vehicles and very cool, so if you are coming this way you better hop on as this is an awesome experience not to be missed!!

1  Thank Docjini G

Thank you for your brilliant review of your tour with Shane who is now tap-dancing in the idle of the office, doing his victory dance :)

See you on another tour when you're next in China I hope!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We booked the 2 hour trip last minute based on Tripadvisor reviews, all arranged online with Shane. Arranged to pick up from our hotel at 1200 and Max arrived on time with his vintage Chinese copy 1940's BMW.
The 2 hour trip flew by and Max took us around the city centre and French Concession stopping off here and there for a walkabout. A very enjoyable trip, unlikely to be repeated by us (unless the company expand into other cities of course). Very nice detours around the back streets and through many small alleys and streets teeming with local residents going about their daily lives.

An excellent company ethos, Max was an excellent guide with great interpersonal skills. If in Shanghai and you fancy something different - you will not be disappointed. The only consideration is the cost - including hotel pick-up out total was 1600 RMB - not a cheap 2 hours, but you only live once, and for most of us a trip to China is an infrequent opportunity, and on that basis I thought the trip good value for money. My wife also enjoyed it and she is not a motorbike fan like I am.

Dear Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your tour with Max, glad that your wife had a good time too. Have a great end of year in GB and see you for a longer trip in China's most remotes parts on another time maybe?