“Must do if you want a little bit extra!”

Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour
Ranked #3 of 125 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explore Shanghai by vintage sidecar motorbike. Recently recommended by TIME magazine, National Geographic Traveller, Vogue or ELLE Magazine across 38 countries; Shanghai Insiders offers you the most original way to venture out and explore Shanghai off the beaten tracks while quenching your own centers of interests, might it be architecture, photography, food, art, etc. Enjoy an open-air adventure comfortably seated in the side-car of a classic motorbike. Every tour is tailor made by your insider who is an expat who has been living in Shanghai for a minimum of 3 years. Shanghai Insiders is the friend of a friend you wished you had in a city you do not know. Don't forget to ask for our champagne option!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My Guide was Simon. He showed me some interesting places in Shanghai that I normally wouldn't see; like the old slaughter house,... Simon knew a lot about the city. It was also fun to travel Shanghai in a sidecar. Driving by the Bund was awesome and an experience a few people have ever experienced. Thnx Simon & Insiders!

1  Thank Traveleradvww
NyEdward, Owner at Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for your kind words, the photo you posted is insane!

have a great end of summer, I'll pass your review to Simon :)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and myself took the 2 hour tour quite spontaneously on the expat show, both motorbike fans for life we had a blast. Max gave us some special insights about Shanghai and his experiences during champagne time looking at Pudong at night, also the French restaurant he recommended after the tour a highlight. Thanks, a wonderful experience

1  Thank claush123
NyEdward, Owner at Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

You've made Max's day! A million thanks for your kind words!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

It's such a great experience to explore Shanghai by vintage sidecar motorcycle. You'll get to discover the side streets, known and unknown. I had a taste of fresh pomegranate juice made by a street vendor and had fun exploring a cattle slaughterhouse that was converted to a chic commercial area (1933 Shanghai). We visited three construction sites that bore the ruins of ex-landmark areas -- maybe one too many ruins (you easily get the message / advocacy of keeping the old alive, anyway, so maybe one construction site is enough). The tour is pricey but if you want to have a taste of life in Shanghai and drive by all the touristy spots in under 4 hours, this is the way to go. I just wish our driver knew the names of the streets and the buildings we asked about because most of the time, he doesn't. I think being knowledgeable in such things is an asset to a tour guide.

Thank you for your kind words, well noted on the fact that you saw one too many construction sites (then again, Shanghai is a gigantic construction site:)).
regarding the street names, your insiders' been touring with us for 5 years so I believe he knows the city inside out like we're supposed to.

We're not too familiar with street names just because we don't really need to know them as we drive ourselves around. I'll however point this out in our next training session and ask all insiders to be more up to date on street names.

Thank you for helping us improve our tours!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Had a great time and all our special wishes were satisfied. Highly recommended. Would otherwise hardly have found the grafittis in town

Dear Rene,

Thank you for your kind review, too bad we didn't make it to 5 stars in your review but this will just make us try harder next time.

Vielen dank!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

A few years ago I did a day trip to the Great Wall while in Beijing on a motorcycle sidecar. At that time they were affiliated with the Shanghai Insiders - but now they've gone their separate ways.

I had a full day to myself last week in Shanghai and decided to do their 4-hour tour. Sammy, a driver from San Diego, picked me up at 2pm at the Swissotel. (it's one of the " no extra charge" pickup points and is in a good location for seeing a few other things).

Sammy asked about my interests (photography, seeing people in the old places, etc) before leaving. He showed me generally on the map where we'd be going.

I've yet to process my photos - but Sammy saw things that even he hadn't seen. We even came across a huge crowd of bystanders, police, SWAT team and fireman where a protester had climbed a high-voltage power pole with a sign that described how poorly he'd been treated. The police shooed us away, but we found another building that we could get into and go to an upper floor to see more. I was certain this guy was going to electrocute himself - it was a very, very dangerous place to be. We moved on while he was still standing on the crossarm.

Sammy is a friendly guy with a good rapport with the people. Some even invited us to come into their living quarters (I'm hesitant to call them "homes". as they are so very minimal.

We also drive through the Bund, the French Concession and such... the normal stuff.

There aren't that many sidecars in Shanghai, so be prepared for folks to stare at you.

We stopped a couple of times for drinks and ice cream... and Sammy would turn around if I asked him to... after passing something that may be interesting to photograph.

It was a blast! Thanks, Sammy.

NyEdward, Owner at Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for taking time to write such a long review, you indeed saw stuff we cannot plan to show on tours.
We very much appreciate your loyalty, please do point out that you already toured with us if you ever book a tour with us in Xian or Lijiang on one of our longer expeditions by sidecar or jeep. Have a great September!