“Awesome way to see Shanghai”

Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour
Ranked #3 of 118 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explore Shanghai by vintage sidecar motorbike. Recently recommended by TIME magazine, National Geographic Traveller, Vogue or ELLE Magazine across 38 countries; Shanghai Insiders offers you the most original way to venture out and explore Shanghai off the beaten tracks while quenching your own centers of interests, might it be architecture, photography, food, art, etc. Enjoy an open-air adventure comfortably seated in the side-car of a classic motorbike. Every tour is tailor made by your insider who is an expat who has been living in Shanghai for a minimum of 3 years. Shanghai Insiders is the friend of a friend you wished you had in a city you do not know. Don't forget to ask for our champagne option!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Decatur IL (USA)
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Awesome way to see Shanghai”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

A few years ago I did a day trip to the Great Wall while in Beijing on a motorcycle sidecar. At that time they were affiliated with the Shanghai Insiders - but now they've gone their separate ways.

I had a full day to myself last week in Shanghai and decided to do their 4-hour tour. Sammy, a driver from San Diego, picked me up at 2pm at the Swissotel. (it's one of the " no extra charge" pickup points and is in a good location for seeing a few other things).

Sammy asked about my interests (photography, seeing people in the old places, etc) before leaving. He showed me generally on the map where we'd be going.

I've yet to process my photos - but Sammy saw things that even he hadn't seen. We even came across a huge crowd of bystanders, police, SWAT team and fireman where a protester had climbed a high-voltage power pole with a sign that described how poorly he'd been treated. The police shooed us away, but we found another building that we could get into and go to an upper floor to see more. I was certain this guy was going to electrocute himself - it was a very, very dangerous place to be. We moved on while he was still standing on the crossarm.

Sammy is a friendly guy with a good rapport with the people. Some even invited us to come into their living quarters (I'm hesitant to call them "homes". as they are so very minimal.

We also drive through the Bund, the French Concession and such... the normal stuff.

There aren't that many sidecars in Shanghai, so be prepared for folks to stare at you.

We stopped a couple of times for drinks and ice cream... and Sammy would turn around if I asked him to... after passing something that may be interesting to photograph.

It was a blast! Thanks, Sammy.

Visited August 2013
NyEdward, Owner at Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write such a long review, you indeed saw stuff we cannot plan to show on tours.
We very much appreciate your loyalty, please do point out that you already toured with us if you ever book a tour with us in Xian or Lijiang on one of our longer expeditions by sidecar or jeep. Have a great September!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Monica, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best way to see a city”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I cannot imagine a better way to tour a city like Shanghai. I did a 4-hour tour of the city, and was loving it so much I think I could have done 4 more hours. The tour guide, Max, really tailored the tour to what I wanted to see and took me places I would have never, ever, gone on my own. Given what I think I know about many locals, who aren't very interested or knowledgeable about local history, this tour in particular helped me get a perspective on Shanghai that's probably hard to get on many other tour.

I highly, highly recommend this.

Visited August 2013
Hi llya,

Thank you for your kind words, you've made Max just as happy as one could!

We're very happy that we reached your expectations and hope that we'll have the chance of seeing you on another of our tours in the future.
Jersey, Channel Islands
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Brilliant trip around Shanghai!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Shane, the general manager of the business gave us a personal tour on his bike & sidecar. This is a trip that you must not miss out on, as you get to see Shanghai in a way that most others don't and areas of the city that again most others don't, such as the American and International section and the back streets; the old abattoir converted into shops; the Dunhill House that you just did not expect to be there.

Shane has such great knowledge of the City, so ask for him if you can.

One small issue, but did not detract from the fun was a tire blow-out on teh way back to hotel. In fact you could say it added to the excitement, but don't ask Shane to do it again!

1 Thank tycariadus
Thank you for your review, this means the world to us!

We've discussed internally the possibility of having a flat tire on every tour to bring in the authenticity but have decided to not move forward with this option ;)

I hope we'll see you on another tour in Xian or Lijiang in the future!
Brussels, Belgium
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“This is the way to see Shaghai”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We took the 4 hours trip with Sammy - and it was great. You get to see places you would not otherwise see.

1 Thank Jeppe35
NyEdward, Owner at Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hello Jeppe,

A few words can say it all, many thanks for choosing us and taking the time to post a review.
We're looking forward to having the chance of taking you on another tour in China when you're back.
London, United Kingdom
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Great way to see Shanghai”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had already spent several days walking the back streets of Shanghai, and been on a proper half day tour, but my husband is a biker and had only a day free in which to see the city so we opted for this at a local friend's recommendation. WE really enjoyed zooming round the streets to admiring glances, thumbs up and 'cool' plaudits; Sammy was a good guide, chatty and took us into some areas we would enver have been brave enough to venture into - for instance inside early 20 century tenement blocks, where there are still shared washing and cooking facilities, and showed us places we might have missed otherwise. My only observation is that we didn't really move much out of the French Concession, which is where my fiend lives and my husband was working - it would have been nice to roar down the Bund in a side car!

1 Thank Vicky U
Hello Vicky,

Thank you for your every constructive feedback. Since you posted it, we have given out maps of Shanghai to every insider who shows it to passengers prior to starting a tour in order to agree on a route.

Have a great end of summer and please do let us know when you're back in Shanghai, we'll gladly give you a special tour!