“Great way to see a great place”

Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour
Ranked #3 of 118 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explore Shanghai by vintage sidecar motorbike. Recently recommended by TIME magazine, National Geographic Traveller, Vogue or ELLE Magazine across 38 countries; Shanghai Insiders offers you the most original way to venture out and explore Shanghai off the beaten tracks while quenching your own centers of interests, might it be architecture, photography, food, art, etc. Enjoy an open-air adventure comfortably seated in the side-car of a classic motorbike. Every tour is tailor made by your insider who is an expat who has been living in Shanghai for a minimum of 3 years. Shanghai Insiders is the friend of a friend you wished you had in a city you do not know. Don't forget to ask for our champagne option!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great way to see a great place”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife, myself, and our two kids (9 and 11) had a great time on the bikes, and really enjoyed the sights, sounds, and wind in our faces.
The kids each had a go in the sidecars and on the pillion seats, and there were no problems in either.
Having ridden extensively myself, I was (to tell the truth) rather alarmed at the prospect of riding on the pillion seat. Previous encounters on pillions had left me with a distinct fear of them.
I was, unexpectedly, very happy on the back, and I attribute this nice large 'apple' style seats, a nice sturdy grab rail to hold on to, a high vantage point so you could see more than just the back of a helmet and low speeds (good for sightseeing). I actually preferred being on the back to being in the sidecar.

3 Thank Nigel T
NyEdward, Owner at Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hi Nigel,

Glad we made the rider in you comfortable as a passenger, that's not a small thing is it? ;)

See you on one of our expeditions maybe?

Take care!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“very different & great way to see Shanghai”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had a great time again with Shane as my guide. I love the fun and freedom of riding in the sidecar and Shane was very knowledgeable about all the sights we saw. The Bund is beautiful and by contrast with this old area of China are the street markets with everything from live frogs seafood to local fruit and vegetables. I love art so we also visited a really cool area where I chatted with local artists and bought some artwork and pottery. Thanks guys, I'll be back, next time to see Xian!

1 Thank Maryanne28
Hi Maryanne,

Thank you for your great words, we'll be seeing you in Xian!
Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing experience!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was hands down the coolest tourist experience I've had in Shanghai since moving here 4 months ago! We did the 4 hour tour and could have kept going! The only thing that would have made it even more interesting from a historical point of view would be to have some more in depth info on the historical relevance of the places we passed through and stopped to walk through, maybe on a pamphlet or a numbered map with corresponding info to take away. Of course, that may not be for everyone, but would be a nice option to have for those interested. We'll be recommending this tour to all of our visiting friends and family. Loved it!

1 Thank Chantal v
Thank you Chantal for taking the time to review our tour, we have started doing bi-monthly team meetings to work together on improving our knowledge of Shanghai history and culture, it's a never ending job :)

See you in Xian or Lijiang for another tour off the beaten tracks I hope!
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best way to see shangai, off the beaten track”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is such a must-do when in Shanghai, it gave us the true old shanghai feel, and I do feel nostalgic being on the sidecar. Sammy arrived promptly to pick us from the Bund, and with his sunny personality, artistic outlook in life, and knowledge of the history of shanghai made it truly a tour for anyone looking to learn more about the history and contemporary view of shanghai. We visited the old slaughterhouse, the French concession, the old British ambassador's holiday home, the Jewish/Polish influences art houses, how I love old architecture, am almost wistful at the changes to modern shanghai. We were also shown the old shanghai village, tucked away in the middle of the city, soon to be pulled down, ...... We only did a day tour, and it was over too quickly! Highly recommended for singles, couples ..... Maybe a bit dangerous for very young children, but certainly ok if the child of 6 and above sits in the moped and not ride pillion.

Visited March 2013
Thank you for your very kind words, you've made Sammy happy and proud!
See you again in Shanghai when the Singapore haze comes again ;)
Beijing, Beijing, China
“Great way to see the city in a short time!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Got to see sights and areas of the city that would have never had the time or knowledge about. Driver/guide was fun and personable. Definitely recommend especially if you have limited time in the city.

Visited May 2013
Thanks Shayna for your review: directly to the point :)