“The BEST night ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 105 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explore Shanghai by vintage sidecar motorbike. Recently recommended by TIME magazine, National Geographic Traveller, Vogue or ELLE Magazine across 38 countries; Shanghai Insiders offers you the most original way to venture out and explore Shanghai off the beaten tracks while quenching your own centers of interests, might it be architecture, photography, food, art, etc. Enjoy an open-air adventure comfortably seated in the side-car of a classic motorbike. Every tour is tailor made by your insider who is an expat who has been living in Shanghai for a minimum of 3 years. Shanghai Insiders is the friend of a friend you wished you had in a city you do not know. Don't forget to ask for our champagne option!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Francisco
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The BEST night ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our family of four (parents and kids ages 7 and 10) visited Shanghai for 1 day -- so we wanted to make the most of our time. After reading about Shanghai Sideways in a million different places, we decided to give it a whirl -- and it was one of the real highlights of our whole trip to China. We spent the night on two motorbikes with sidecars attached, and toured through Shanghai in real style! We saw parts of the city that are hidden and off the beaten track, learned about some of the more *interesting* historical facts about opium trading, and rode motorcycles through the sparkling Shanghai night!

Don't miss out -- this is really an unforgettable way to see Shanghai! Excellent for anyone really -- both young and old!

Visited November 2012
3 Thank sfbenning
NyEdward, Owner at Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your ride with us and your super short stay in Shanghai.
Did you manage to take any cool photos of your ride? We'll post them on our facebook page - look for "insiders experience".

have a great 2013!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland, New Zealand
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Absolute must in shanghai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you want to see Shanghai and miss the usual tourist traps, then Shanghai Sideways is definitely the way to do it. You will visit places that you could never ever find, walk into or know the History. These guys absolutely know Shanghai. The bike ride is extremely safe, the guides are amazing, and the sights are right up there. Got to be the best thing to do , to see the real and the inside history of Shanghai. Rock on Sammy, glad the bike got fixed, we had a ball.

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Marmite62
Isle of Man
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Live it, Love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Shanghai Sideways at the end of September was superb. Thomas’ communication was efficient and information for the meeting point was clear and easy to follow. We booked the 2 hour city tour followed by an hour into night-time. This was my first experience with Sideways.com (as was Shanghai) and was great fun.
It was my wife’s second trip in Shanghai and with Sideways. As it was two years since her first trip (and she still raves on about it) I thought I would see what it was all about. Thomas guided the tour himself. He so evidently makes the most of living and working in China and the information/history/stories he regales are fun, interesting and informative – accompanied with Thomas’ a great sense of humour how could you not enjoy it? You go to places you would not go to on your own due to his contacts in the city (private houses/club premises etc). You see views of the city that aren’t in the “guide books” making great photos as a souvenir of your Shanghai trip. Information is that Shanghai may be banning sidecars by 2015 so if my recommendation above isn’t enough to get your skates on and get in one of the sidecars (and you are visiting Shanghai) then just “do it”. If I was to give Sideways.com a tag line then it would be the Hong Kong advert of “Live it, Love it” – it’s an experience you will always remember!!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank FlyingVicar
Brisbane, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Sideways sidecar so cool!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Sideways sidecar tour is a unique way to see the sites of Shanghai. Our guide Maxim was knowledgable and informative of Shanghai. Our tour started in Jian and ended in the French Concession via the Bund, Majestic Hotel and the slaughterhouse ( well ex slaughterhouse).

Maxim was happy to go anywhere and show us whatever we liked. He even found us a shop selling cult Chinese footwear brand Feiyue.

However, the best part was just cruising the streets on a 1930's Chinese replica of a Russian replica of a German BMW. We certainly got a lot of looks and it was just great fun.

Traffic in Shanghai is chaotic. However, we never felt unsafe. Helmets were provided if you wanted them.

A great adventure for those wanting to stray from the well worn tourist path. Highly recommended!!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank aaspro
NyEdward, Owner at Insiders-Shanghai Private One-day Tour, responded to this review, March 14, 2016
Hi there,

Going back in our reviews, I realize I never answered your review, very sorry about that and a million thanks for taking the time to put a few lines down for us! Maxime is still with us and a young dad since last week.

Safe travels!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I thought I had seen it all...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Hi,
I have been in Shanghai for business for already two weeks and have explored Shanghai quite a bit during my time off work, so I was not sure if I would get the bang for my buck (900 RMB for 2 hours) as I had seen so much already.

I still booked the last "night tour" of the year though as there had to be something about it with all these positive reviews.

The booking process was straight forward, in this case emailing back and forth the Thomas the owner.

I met with my guide Maxim at 6:30 PM and we discussed where I would like to go and what I would like to see.
Maxim was prepared and had gotten the information of place where I had been from Thomas already, so he made some suggestion of places in other areas.
He also suggested something in an area I had explored before, but it sounded very different from the touristy side I had seen.

Anyways, he started the bike and off we went.
Just driving around on the bike, in the sidecar, of course, is lots of fun - surviving traffic and so on...
Don't worry though the ride is safe and Maxim did not do any risky maneuvers.
And while on the go Maxim told me many things I did not know yet.

Also at each of the sites we visited he explained the history of it and gave some more background information on things which was very informative and entertaining at the same time.

The whole tour did not feel like being on a tour, but rather being with a (very knowledgable) friend and exploring a city.

To sum it up: It was definitely worth the money for me and I would do it again, if I could.

Regards,
JC

Just a tip: Do not hesitate like me with booking as they are a small business and have limited resources while being very popular!

3 Thank KeyserSoeze
Hi there,

Going back in our reviews, I realize I never answered your review, very sorry about that and a million thanks for taking the time to put a few lines down for us! Your review is one of the kindest reviews we ever got so really thank you!

Safe travels!