“Super cool design, very nice hotel!”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #5 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
europe
“Super cool design, very nice hotel!”
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Excellent modern cool Chinese inspired interiors. Very spacious rooms, nice equipment. GREAT black-out function, meaning the rooms have electronic screens that make the room completely dark, even when the sun is shining. Need to improve house keeping a bit, but otherwise a super cool design hotel. Location is great too. Loved that place, will book again every time I'm in Shanghai!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
pulipr, Management team at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us and hope the black-out function of the electronic screens managed to give you a blissful night of sleep. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai and The PuLi very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Shanghai
Reviewed March 24, 2010

This is a designers Walhalla and a travelers ultimate place to stay. Fantastic hotel with a boutique style feel, very professional en personal service and a pleasure for the creative eye. The location is ideal near JangAn Park and Nanjing Road. The atmosphere in all areas is sensational and rooms are spacious with great showers, a ‘European size’ bath at the window and very comfy item’s like Nespresso machine, Bose Ipod station etc.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay and look forward to being of service to you on your next stay with us.
Indonesia
Reviewed March 18, 2010

A stay full of ups and downs.. or rather, downs and ups.

Let me start with the booking. The staff that handled my bookings were very good. I missed the ‘stay for 3 night pay for 2’ promo, and booked two rooms using the ordinary rate. I also wanted to change one room for a better one, a studio. I explained the situation to her, and she did it for me, in a way made the hotel ‘lose’ extra money from the 3rd night but really made the customer, in this case me, smiling from ear to ear.
That was up.
The down came from the airport pickup, the e 280 I ordered. Yes we met the guy holding the sign, who spoke minimal English and he asked ‘where is the other one?’ As I booked two rooms. Well the other one is stuck in the random inspection, so he’s about 5-10 minutes behind. He responded, ‘ok ok wait outside’ with a brief pointing gesture. Ok the pointing thing was VERY brief and by saying ‘wait outside’ I was confusingly deciding between the lower exit (for taxi queues) or the farther lower exit (for buses/vans). Well I waited at the first one, craning my neck for a e 280, after about 5-10 chilling minutes I then went back in, and found ‘the other guest’. That’s odd, he’s not with the sign guy. Ok let us wait at the second exit then, the one with the vans/buses. After another 5-10 cold minutes, we went back in to call PuLi to locate our guy and he is there, in the same spot as before, still holding the sign. So ‘wait outside’ with the brief pointing sign means ‘wait over there, away from these lines of people exiting customs and people with signs’. Ok, small language problem, he then escorted us to the e 280, which was UPSTAIRS, at the big exit. When we enter, 2 water bottles and the shanghai daily greeted us. When we arrive at the Puli, two women with black leather folders were waiting at the front door, escorting us to our rooms for a ‘check in inside your room’. Nice touch!
It was up again.
I then asked the concierge for a sim card, which he bought for me. It was 150, I gave him a 20 Yuan tip, and the card had 50 yuans of credit in it. It was not a ‘special’ number as I asked for a ‘normal’ number. Was I being cheated a few Yuans? I didn’t know, and frankly didn’t care. Daimon was the best guy at the hotel, enthusiastic about the job, a bit humorous and of course, helpful. I frowned when he asked ‘your room supposed to have a wireless phone, like a mobile phone, where is it?’
Huh? A what? Where? I dunno!
He then called a staff on the phone and spoke Chinese while he obviously looked everywhere for it. It was never found. More on this later. My Chinese sim card was ok, then I brushed my teeth and washed my face, and the sink was stuck. It was one of those minimalistic, zen type sinks and I frantically searched for a hidden button, to ‘dispose’ the water. I even shook the thing. Nothing happened. The confirmation email said 'in this 50M2 junior suite you can entertain guests without sacrificing the privacy of your bedroom' and 'you have 3 tv's, in the bathroom, bedroom and living room'. There were NEVER a living room, and a 3rd tv. Yes you guessed it, it was down again.
Funny thing though, the next afternoon I asked a staff about the sink and the phone and he told me to PUSH DOWN the shiny metallic thing at the center and it will rise up, thus allowing water to come down. And the phone is only for suites. Ok I think you should seriously somehow give a hint on the metal-pushing thing as not all your guests are young, hip and creative folks and sometimes they arrive at their room at night, tired, and just want to brush their teeth and go straight to bed. And the guest service directory should mention ‘phone for suites only’.
I tried the spa, and it was lovely. People should know that this is not one of those ‘happy ending’ spa ok, this is a legit, professional and excellent spa. You can come with confidence. Linda was a good therapist. But the worst thing that happened at this hotel was Jing’an for dinner.
I especially came to try the foie gras+meat burger (turns out they only have it for lunch), and after a nice French sounding gentlemen greeted and sat me down I was put to wait 17 minutes not for the FOOD, nor DRINKS, but for the WAITER to come so I can order food or drinks! Yes I was practically ignored for 17 long minutes with nothing, no bread, no water, nothing. I did not exist. And no, it was not a busy night as there were only 3 other tables. I sat up, left, hurt, hungry and dined at the long bar instead. Dined at a bar. Come on now! Be realistic here. I have eaten in places that see themselves as ‘luxurious’, ‘expensive’, trendy, 2 michelin stars in Asia, Europe and the US and never ever once I was ignored more than 5 minutes after sitting down. Be Realistic and put this into perspective. Jing’An is NOT one of those places. The décor is nothing ‘luxurious’, the food selection is nothing ‘spectacular’, the view is, well to a small park and the service is ahem, non existent. So why do you have to act like one? You’re no Jules Verne or louis XV for crying out loud! Even faux Nobu is better than you.
To sum it up: Room ok, nice touch with the blinds, nespresso, nice size but only 5m2 bigger than the smallest PuLi room. Staff great, some don’t speak English fluently, Long Bar is ‘ok’. Stay 3 night pay for 2 is great, although after this I won’t mind spending 500 Dollars for the Park Hyatt. Jing ‘An well, no comment, breakfast was ok, 7/10.
Certainly I was expecting more than this.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback.

We are working through your comments with the teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back at The PuLi in what we hope will be the not too distant future.
switzerland
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I love the Puli. The decor is unbelievably beautiful. The spa is fantastic, and the rooms are gorgeous. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. If there's one thing I would like to see improvement on, it's housekeeping. i don't think they are up to 5 star standard yet. While they make the beds and clean the rooms (although I still found hair in the bathroom), they don't clear up at all. They left all my clutter lying around which annoyed me, especially in the bathroom. Normally in 5 star hotels they put your toiletries together and line them up nicely. Not here. Also all the clutter that was lying around, such as phone and computer cables, they just left them were they were. Also, they didn't fill up the minibar after I had used it one day. That is the only improvement suggestion I have to management, is to bring their housekeeping up to 5 star standards. Oh, and I loved the touch of free Internet access!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
pulipr, Public Relations at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2010
We are delighted that you loved the rooms, completely complimentary internet access and also enjoyed the treatment at Anantara Spa.

We appreciate your feedback on the housekeeping experience and rest assured that this has been looked into. No more clutter on your next visit with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Hangzhou, China
Reviewed January 25, 2010

this newly opened hotel has by far the most beautiful lobby, it's more a living-room,
with a 32 meter long bar, where also you will find the front-desk.
the concierge and his team are extremely good, very helpful, with a lot of knowledge
about the interesting parts/things in shanghai.
they even arranged a bellboy to drive us with our own car to the Grand Theatre
and also did us pick up again after the event has been finished.
many thanks to Eddie and his team, great job!
service is till now not perfect, but charming, we personaly prefer a friendly and
smiling service more than a may be perfect.
the only point we have not been happy with has been the restaurant, a very special
concept, but not really impressing, and all that for very high prices.
the wines are upcalculated with a minimum of 300 %, even for Shanghai not usual.
the breakfast offers very limited choices at the buffet, disappointing!
also the offers a la carte are limited, means overall: there are in our mind a lot of things
to do that the restaurant-offers can match the other, really wonderful points at PuLi.
we had two more dinners outside PuLi, one has been just opposite of PuLi at
Bali Laguna, just a walk of about 8 minutes, mid in the Jing An Park, indonesian food,
good value for money, needs reservation.
another one has been the "Issimo" at Jia-Hotel, the best origin italian food we have
found till now in Shanghai, very nice decorated and most important: a very engaded
and friendly staff, we had the pleasure to be served by Ticky, thanks Ticky for your
service, so we could enjoy this evening a lot!
Overall: the PuLi is a very nice place to stay, with the hope that the not so well points
will improve in the near future.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
pulipr, Public Relations at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2010
We were delighted to assist you with a trip to the Grand Theatre and glad that you enjoyed the friendly interaction with Eddy and the team at The PuLi.

Our hot food during breakfast is prepared when ordered and I hope you managed to order some of those delicious eggs benedict, Asian or western sets. We will improve on the communication to guests during breakfast so they are aware of the wide variety available and hope you will come back again to try the 3 breakfast options we have – at the restaurant, in-room dining or breakfast-to-go, all of which are included in the rate plans. Imperfections and feedback are our tool to perfection, we will most certainly look into your feedback as areas for improvement and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Truly 5-star. The rooms are amazing. Very intimate, great design. We’re not really sure there’s any better way to kick back in Shanghai than a hot bath overlooking Jing’An park, watching a DVD from the tub! The shower was also a gem. And the service was impeccable throughout the hotel (rooms, gym, restaurant, bar, check-in) for our entire stay.

Since we live in Shanghai, we went to the PuLi for a 24-hour getaway. And the hotel really only fell short of our hopes in two areas:
1) The restaurant. The food was good. But at those prices, it should be a tonic for eternal youth.
2) The pool area. The pool water was simply too cold! Plus you had to cross an icy footbath on the way to and from the locker rooms – even the heated tiling in the pool area and locker rooms couldn’t compensate for how horrid that was on our toes. The hot tubs are separate (male/female) and were tepid at best.

Other pros: It was all so equally good…

Other cons: Nope, really just the cold water… (Making the Long Bar non-smoking wouldn’t hurt the “spa” image either.)

Verdict: A must-visit if they keep their pricing structure as is. We’ll be back if they assure us that the pool will be above 21°C and that the hot tubs will temporarily turn us into lobsters!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank destroubadours
pulipr, Public Relations at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2010
We are glad you enjoyed the weekend getaway with us and hope to have you back for many weekends to come in 2010!

Thank you for your feedback to the temperature of the pool and footbath and we are currently looking into this. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel and pool on a much "warmer note" on your next getaway with us.
the whole world
Reviewed December 25, 2009

Visited a friend who stayed there and had a drink at the bar. Very, very stylish. Rooms are very elegant, although rather small bed. If ever again in Shanghai, I would stay there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carlicheck
pulipr, Public Relations at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, December 28, 2009
We hope to have you back at the Long Bar very soon and also stay with us in the coming 2010.