“Stunning” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 4,966 Hotels in Shanghai
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

I do not have anything but great things to say about this graceful, classy, peaceful oasis in the center of Shanghai. It really feels like an escape from the chaos of China. Impeccable service, beautiful rooms, great gym. Fantastic - look forward to the next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor post your stay with us.

We are humbled by your words of appreciation for our peaceful oasis in the centre of Shanghai. It is indeed an escape from the Chaos as you so rightly put it.

We are glad to know that you were pleased with our rooms, the gym facility and thought that our service was fantastic.

My team and I look forward to your next visit with us.

Jan B.Tibaldi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here almost a year ago, but after visiting so many other "5 star" properties around Asia, this is by far one of my favorites! We stayed at the Puli for 10 days before permanently moving to Shanghai, and although this review is very overdue, every time I pass this hotel I want to go back! The location is next to a metro line, across the street from a large shopping district, as well as walking distance to the former French Concession area where you can find many restaurants, cafes and boutiques. The rooms are large, tastefully decorated, have excellent bathroom products, and most importantly - a comfortable bed (if you travel around Asia, you'll understand). I also should mention that the bathtubs have a great city view that makes for a very relaxing evening. Housekeeping always cleaned and replenished the room nicely, and other than one incident with a host during breakfast one morning, the rest of the staff was cordial and helpful. I would definitely recommend staying here! We no longer stay in hotels in Shanghai since we live here, but we've been back to their Garden Terrace bar for drinks, and would also highly recommend making a stop there as well!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Trisha C
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your lovely review on trip advisor.

My team and I are thrilled to know we were your home last year before you found yourself a residence in Shanghai.

I was very happy to note that you found our urban resort to be conveniently located in the heart of action and easily accessible via the metro.

It is always encouraging to hear compliments on our accommodations especially our bathtubs with a view ,comfortable beds and even more about our housekeeping team's friendly and efficient level of service.

Having an outdoor Garden Terrace is also a rare commodity and with the weather being so kind I could not agree more, it is the place to be. Thank you for recommending our urban resort and my team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back whenever you make a pit stop here.

Baranzate, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

i visite shanghai every month for one week and i always stay at this hotel: every single detail is taken with a lot of attention, the sensation is to be hosted in a non-urban/business hotel although many italian business people stay here. I changed only twice in the last 2 years visiting once the Waterhouse on the Bund ans the Shangri la' but i was disappointed. Choose the "club room" which includes 24hrs butler, free laundring service, complimentary menu at the bar on the bottom floor and 20% discount on the SPA (must visit)

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Roberto R
Dear Guest,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide such a wonderful review of your stay with us.

I am so happy that you have found the PuLi to be your hotel of choice in Shanghai and am delighted that our service and facilities are to your liking. Especially our Club benefits they truly represent such great value and choice. Thank you for appreciating the level of commitment to the minutest detail. The reason why we have such a loyal repeat guest ratio is the fact that we focus our energies in being guest centric.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm and friendly service delivery and I am thrilled that we were successful in achieving this with you.

Our Butlers team and I look forward to your return visit next month and remain,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Ok; this is going to be my place to be in Shanghai. Perfect service excellent location and rooms. Good breakfast but expensive. Search until you find a good rate. And believe me choose and option with breakfast included. If you stay good part of the day or was here at the middle of your trip; they have a good packages for a reasonable rate for they include extra / but at the beginning of your trip or you be out of the hotel all day doesn't make sense. All you can find on your rooms bar is free or included on your rate. Definitely a luxury hotel.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Abcderne
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TA following your stay with us at The PuLi.

We are happy to note that The Puli will be your place to be whenever you are in Shanghai. We have some great promotions and packages ongoing as you rights pointed out and booking in advance will give you the best advantage.

I am very happy that your keen eye enjoyed both hardware and software and that the entire team at The PuLi was able to deliver.

We look very much forward to having you return in the near future and remain,

With kindest regards,

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Branded as an “urban oasis” in the heart of Shanghai, The PuLi manages to successfully achieve a feeling of serenity that is difficult to find amidst the bustle of China’s largest city. Similarly, the interior design is a departure from the collective style usually associated with conventional luxury hotels—while the hotel is undoubtedly Chinese, it could almost pass as a resort in South East Asia. This, along with a fully equipped gym, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, infinity pool, and spa helps to create a new, unique guest experience that makes The PuLi a blissful escape from an otherwise hectic city.

While the physical attributes of the hotel are impressive, it is the service provided by the well trained staff that truly sets this property apart. I found the front desk and concierge teams to be incredibly efficient and great at following up on reservations and tours. The team at the hotel restaurant, Jing'an, were equally attentive and accommodating, especially at breakfast. After spending a few weeks traveling around other parts of China with only basic Mandarin speaking skills, it was a tremendous relief to stay at a hotel with a strong English speaking staff.

Although you certainly have your choice of lovely hotels in Shanghai, I would encourage trying something different than your basic, luxury hotel chain. As a boutique hotel with a strong emphasis on service, The PuLi truly offers a rare and wonderful experience for anyone visiting China.

Room Tip: Reserve a room that overlooks Jing’An park/ Jing’an Temple (these are odd numbered rooms)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank piperstremmel
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate your comments posted on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The PuLi.

I am delighted you chose to stay at our urban oasis and I am very pleased that all our colleagues were able to deliver the high standards of quality service during your stay with us making it an unforgettable experience .

It is always gratifying to read that pretty much everything within your stay was such a success - from the hotel's ideal location, great interiors, lovely spa and superb service by the team. We lay tremendous emphasis spoken English training, so glad to see it has been fruitful.

The Front Desk, Concierge and the Jing’An restaurant team will be truly flattered with your kind words of encouragement.

All team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to our calm environment in midst the hustle and bustle of Shanghai in the near future and hope to offer another rare and wonderful experience.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel in a club room and have to say it is one of the best hotels I've stayed in. The staff are excellent in all areas of the hotel and the value for money with the club benefits is unbelievable . The rooms are very well appointed and spotless with excellent amenities and touches such as a full size powerful hair dryer - something that seems to allude many 5 star hotels. The breakfast is great with buffet items and also cook to order.

Room Tip: Make sure you book club
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time you took to write such a wonderful review on TA following your recent stay at The PuLi.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Club, made the most of the Club benefits and that our butlers were able to ensure you were as comfortable as could possibly be.

My team will be happy to read that you loved the spotless room and enjoyed the breakfast offering especially teh cook to order.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our calm environment in midst the hustle and bustle of Shanghai in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Puli Hotel demonstrates excellent hardware: beautiful lobby and restaurant, great rooms, tasteful in every aspect. Furniture and colour combinations have been chosen carefully and architectural design is one of Shanghai's best. Software, however, is average, when compared to hotels like Grand Hyatt, Shangri-La or Park Hyatt in Pudong (which I stayed before frequently). Examples are: During breakfast you would not be asked much of your choice of seating preference. You would finish your first course and put your cutlery onto the plate. Yet, it will be taken off and you can enjoy your second course with the same dirty fork and knife. Another one: I ordered one double shot whiskey. What I got were two double shots. I accepted them. Then I got a call from room service. Asked me whether they should correct. I said is ok as it was delivered already. Then they still send someone with a revised bill, and wanting to pick up another glass. Rather annoying... I told them to keep the two glasses as I did not want to be bothered. A classy hotel would have just taken one glass off the bill and that's it. Another negative experience was the afternoon cleaning. If you want to rest for an afternoon nap, this hotel is not for you. The cleaning personnel is extremely loud and even after requesting some noise reduction, it was like they were in the room... On a positive note, the reception is quite professional. What I also did not like that much was that the coffee shop area at reception is completely full all the time. And it appears that it is full from outside guests. There is no spare seat for hotel guests, it's come first, serve first. Overall strong hardware but I would return back to Grand Hyatt in Pudong, other than for the great location in Puxi's area of Shanghai. Ending on a positive note: If they can get their service up, the hotel would be one of Shanghai's strongest, given the hardware choice.

Room Tip: I had an odd numbered room with king size bed. Good views and a nice bench at the window for relaxat...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 668frankh
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your stay at The PuLi.

I am very happy to read that you appreciated the design of our lobby, rooms and public areas in general.

In regards to your feedback on Room Service please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience rendered to you. Your timely feedback helped us take corrective action.

Our long bar is open to resident and non-resident guests and is indeed very popular.

Rest assured, your feedback on has been taken in the spirit intended and if ever you are planning to return to Shanghai, my team and I would be delighted to welcome you back.