“Superb hotel - Perfection”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I try to have a hotel stay-cation every year and having lived in Shanghai for a few years now we have been fortunate to try out some of the city's best hotels. The Puli is definitively our best of the bunch, our new number 1 choice and the hotel that we now unreservedly recommend to any friends wishing to have a luxury getaway. And affordable luxury - we booked the room online and got it for less than £100, incredible value for a 5 star hotel of this quality. The room was fantastic, the food delicious, the pool gorgeous and peaceful... everything was top notch.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anthonyreich
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us at The PuLi.

I am so pleased that your stay-cation was such an enoyable one and I wholeheartedly appreciate you recommending us to your friends alike.

We pride ourselves on the superior service provided by our team members and I am delighted that we achieved this with you and your wife.

I fully concur with you that you can experience The PuLi without "burning a hole in your pocket" as we do have some very interesting packages to chose from which represent excellent value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Jan B. Tibaldi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,515)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed for 9 days aroudn the Thanksgiving break. Puli has been a home away from home for a few years now. Given my family members' increasing health issues, our trips to Shanghai in 2013 had become more frequent, and since they all live around Jing An, Puli is our natural choice of adobe. But it has been more than just a hotel. For the daily stress of managing senior care while in Shanghai, coming back to Puli served to recharge, destress and nurture. The staff has been very friendly and yet discrete. I remember when my husband and I checked in, the manager on duty at the frontdesk remembered that we had sensative ears (averse to noise) and took pains to move things around to put us on a floor to assure us quality sleep. We were SO VERY appreciatiative!!! One day, we had upset stomach (it happens from time to time traveling between New York and Shanghai unfortunately), and we ended up ordering the Chinese version of chicken soup - hot congee. I mentioned in passing when I placed the order that we had upset stomach, we soon got a call from duty manager asking if we needed medical attention. The following morning, another call followed to inquire if we felt better. We of course felt much better, if not the congee, but the concerns and warmth of the staff!
Our previous reviews touched upon all the great aspects about the hardware of this hotel, so I thought it would be interesting to highlight some of the softer side, human aspects of what makes Puli a continuing unique experience for us. We will be there again in Spring. Before there was Puli, we roamed around amongst Portman Ritz, JC Mandarin, Swiss Grand, Hilton, etc, and in 2013 we took a short stay at a boutique hotel URBN, but we ran quickly back to Puli.
Another reference point. A friend of mine whom I met with on this recent trip in Shanghai, whose husband is a renowned architect in Australia, told me this is the only hotel he would ever stay in the fine city of Shanghai, for its quality of timelessness, elegance and service. Enough said.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jmw245

Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post your lovely TripAdvisor review following you and your familie's repeat stay with us at The PuLi.

It is very refreshing for myslelf to know when repeat guests such as yours fine selves, upon returning to your home-away-from home here in Shanghai, are getting the same kind and forthcoming attention from the team each visit.

I can fully appreciate the challenging circumstances and stress of managing senior care while in Shanghai and my team and I are extremely gracious that you are giving us the continuous opportunity to service you and that you are able to distress somewhat whilst in house with us.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am so pleased to learn that our entire team achieved this with you. Thank you especially for recognizing our Duty Managers for the outstanding and noteworthy service they provided to you.

My entire team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the spring and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed here on a business in December and found the whole experience delightful. The staff were excellent and very attentive. The rooms were beautifully appointed. The nespresso machine was a god-send. Great gym/pool area. Breakfast expensive but worth the extra cost.

Only slight negative was that I purchased a post card from the concierge desk to be sent home for my grandmother. I left it at the front desk to be posted very early one morning when leaving for a meeting. It never arrived. I am sure the address was written clearly- it must have been mislaid at some stage.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nh1002014
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your lovely TripAdvisor review following your stay with us at The PuLi.

I am delighted to read that your stay was such a success and am pleased to note that you enjoyed all aspects of our services and amenities.

I am sorry your grandmother has not yet received your postcard. Postal services and subsequent mail deliveries can take anywhere between 2 weeks to 6 weeks. Please allow for some additional time.

Wishing you and your loved ones a very happy and blessed 2014 and my staff and I look forward to having the pleasure to welcome you back on your next trip to Shanghai.

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

The Puli is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The service is impeccable. The rooms have everything that you could possibly need including, a free candy bar!

The location is fantastic, everything is within walking distance and the hotel is above a subway station.

I would have no problems telling any of friends to stay here.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mickital

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback about The PuLi on TripAdvisor.

It gives me an immense sense of satisfaction to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind words of appreciation drives us to different hights and to contiuously exceed guest's expectations.

Your positive thoughts have been shared with the entire team. They will be happy to know that their hard work and dedication has not gone unnoticed.

I look forward to your next visit and we hope that you will travel to Shanghai soon again and make The PuLi your preferred destination.

Thanks for telling your friends about us!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We are visiting China on our honeymoon and Shanghai is the final leg of our trip. We have only been at the Puli a few days, but can't wait until we get home to write a review. Everything about this hotel is absolutely sublime. Hip in an understated, elegant way. Upon check-in, the hotel saw that we were first-time guests so specifically made sure to give us a room with a view of the beautiful Jing-An Park. The location is terrific - close to shopping, restaurants, and various points of interest including the Bund, Jing'An Temple, and the French Concession, etc. In terms of travel, it is a 20 minute taxi from Hongqiao Airport and steps away from the #2 line, which goes directly to Pudong Airport. It is easy to access various points of interest in Shanghai -- you can easily walk or take the subway to various points of interest and a car service is available for further points. The rooms are one of the best we have ever stayed in. Walk-in shower with heated mirrors, separate tub, fresh fruit and drinks, and beautiful views. Maid service is terrific. As this is the last leg of our honeymoon, we decided to take a break from the rapid exploring and visited the hotel Antara Spa instead. Such a wonderful experience! I got the aromatherapy massage from Rita who was absolutely terrific. They served ginger tea with honey before and after the massage with some fresh Asian Pears. We are leaving tomorrow and we are so sad to leave. This is the perfect place to stay for the last leg of our honeymoon to China.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hanny P

Dear honeymooners,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, especially during your honeymoon!
And thank you for spending it with us.

I am absolutely delighted to note that your final leg of your trip was spent with us at The PuLi and that we were able to positively contribute in its entirety to its success.

Our location is so central and convenient and I am happy you were able to make full use of the vast transportation modes, whilst exploring Shanghai.

It is a joy for us to know that you appreciated everything about this hotel - from being absolutely uterly sublime, to being hip in an understated and elegant way.

We look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps for your anniversary?

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights at the Puli Hotel in December, 2013. I have only positive things to say about the Puli and its staff. The hotel location is perfect - close to high-end shopping on Nanjing Road, and also convenient to the fashionable French Concession. Even the smallest rooms are perfectly laid out and fantastically comfortable. The fitness facility, locker room, steam/sauna/hot-tub are all serene and beautiful, but the real knock-out feature is the long slender pool, tiled in blue and glass miniature tiles in a vast double height space with an infinity edge up against tall windows looking out on the park. Along the other side of the pool are 5 luxurious daybeds with pillows, towels, and spa menus. I could have spent a whole day relaxing there if there wasn't so much to do in fantastic Shanghai.

Don't even consider one of the luxury options in Pudong. They have their charms and the Pudong architecture is breathtaking, but you will have much more fun at the Puli and be closer to all the action in the older more interesting parts of Shanghai.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing west - for a peaceful view of Jing An park and the temple.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simarkusa

Wow, wow and wow! Thank you very much for your fabulous review and for taking the time in posting it on TripAdvisor.

I am so happy you enjoyed your time with your wife for 4 nights at The PuLi and more.
My colleauges will be delighted to note that their efforts in making your stay was a full success and that their hard work is paying off. Thank you for that!

Our urban resort concept inmidst of the hustle and bustle pays off each time - tranquil, serene and beautiful design elements coupled with great service and amenities, surrounded by great sights go a long way in our business - thank you for recoginising them.

My team and I already look forward to you and your wife's return when your travels take you back to Shanghai.

In the meantime I remain,

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is by far one of my favorite place to stay.
The design and feel of the hotel is one of a kind.
Having a light meal at the bar counter watching the crowd go by after a hectic day in the city is a bliss.
The Spa is well operated and the pool is just brilliant.
Staff genuinely cares but the warmth and smile you will get in other part of Asia is missing.
We'll be back soon.
L

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from one of your favorite places to stay and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review following your stay at The PuLi.

I fully endorse your point of view that our Lobby is the place "to see and be seen" and makes for great stories to tell.....The design and feel of the hotel is one of a kind, that 's for sure!

Delighted to know you made full use of the Spa and Pool fascilities and that you enjoyed it so much.

The entire team and I look very much forward to your return and we will ensure you will be surrounded by smiles and gracious hospitality.

Until then, I remain,