“Absolutely divine”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #5 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was on my first trip to Shanghai and staying at The Puli pretty much made me fall in love with the city. I was booked into the deluxe room but a surprise upgrade to their suite sweetened my stay and the decor of the room was simply divine.

My suite was spacious and stylish with a fabulous view of the city skyline. The room was clean and functional which is really essential for a working trip.

The breakfast buffet spread was nothing less than amazing. I was able to get my fresh fruits and juice fix early in the morning so that kept me quite happy. On day two, I did try their vegetable pau and it was soft and delicious. My boss tried their poached eggs on spinach and it looked amazing so I didn't even have to ask him if it tasted good.

Service at The Puli is first class. As I had meetings lined up with a few companies each day, the concierge would help me check and prepare taxi cards so that I can get to my destinations with much ease. If you can't speak Mandarin, it won't be a problem at all as staff at The Puli can communicate pretty well in English.

Overall, I had a fabulous stay and would recommend The Puli anyone visiting Shanghai.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor!

I was very happy to read that you fell in love with Shanghai, and that The PuLi was somewhat responsible for this sentiment.

Delighted that you enjoyed the Suite upgrade and that the accommodation was stylish, functional and the skyline views fabulous.

Our culinary team will be pleased to know that they were able to wow you and your boss and that the other team members were successful in their service delivery and approach.

Thank you for recommending our Urban Resort and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Puli is an excellent and convenient location with service that raises the bar in Shanghai. I'll continue to stay at the Puli when I travel to Shanghai.

If I was to be extremely picky (I don't see myself staying elsewhere in Shanghai in the near future) I'd offer the feedback that it would be nice to see more vegetarian mains on their dinner menu. For a non-vegetarian I'm sure the menu is brilliant and they certainly have nice wines!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your continued patronage of The PuLi and for writing such a nice review on TripAdvisor.

I am so thrilled and grateful that loyal guests such as your fine self appreciate our service and facilities every time they come and stay with us.

We have over 40% of our guests return to our Urban Resort, a respectable indication that location, service and amenities play a huge role in the choice of a hotel whilst in Shanghai. Thank you for believing in us and our product.

I will certainly speak to our Executive Chef and discuss your comment on having additional vegetarian choices on our dinner menu. Our Chef and his team are always up to the task in ensuring our guests wishes become true, even if said dish is not on our menu!

My team and I look forward to your next visit and until then, I remain,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We spend one night at PULI hotel celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary. It was a fantastic experience. The hotel is located near JingAn Temple, the heart of downtown area, with convenient access to almost everywhere. There are serveral big shopping malls around, and a lot of execellent restaurants and bars. The staff were very kind, and guest-orientated. The room were with classic and elegant decoration. The hotel was more like a seaside resort other than a hotel in the down town. BTW, you should not miss the terrific breakfast also.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending your 2nd wedding anniversary with us at The PuLi and for writing such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

I am so happy that my team was able to offer lasting impressions through their guest centric approach during your stay.

We are indeed a Urban Resort and most guest walking into our lobby do not realize they are in downtown Shanghai!

I fully concur with your statement of comparing our hotel with a "seaside resort" - once you walk through the entrance doors you get a sense of tranquility and a feeling of decompression, away from the hustle and bustle of a big city.

We hope you will spend many more wedding anniversaries with us and remain,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have staid at the PULI Shanghai several times for business. Service is excellent with a good location to the the French Concession area and a shopping mall with food store accrsss the street. Accesss to the subway is also across the street.

They have a very nice workout area and swimming pool for laps.

Suggest getting a room one level up from standard. Large rooms with great ammenities.

Breakfast is fantastic

Room Tip: Room facing the park
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for being such a loyal patron of The PuLi and for taking the time to review our services and for posting such lovely comments on TripAdvisor.

It is always gratifying to read that the entire team is doing such a great job of taking care of our valued guests, such as your fine self. We really try very hard to delight our guests without being obtrusive and overbearing. I really appreciate your kind words.

Delighted to read you are particularly enjoying our wet areas and the gym, indeed a good way to exercise after the fantastic breakfast and soak up energy and forget the day-to-day stress a big city can present.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon again.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I hesitate in giving 4 stars and not 5, because the rooms, the lobby area and the pool/spa are really stunning (the 75’ tiled indoor pool is great for swimmers). But while service was excellent at times, it fell short other times in small ways that added up (long delay getting a taxi, failing to do evening turn down service and not leaving notice, mix-up on wine) … English proficiency is pretty low among the staff and this creates issues I think for western guests. The buffet breakfast is fine but seems limited after a couple of days. The location is OK and central enough, surrounded by modern luxury shopping centers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to note that you had a very good stay with us overall and I appreciate your feedback.
Rest assured that your valuable comments have been taken in the spirit intended and that we are continuously doing everything possible to increase our guest service experiences.

My team and I look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

With kind regards,

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I usually classify the hotels we visit in Asia in 3 categories "Magical","Superb" and "Excellent". I had to come up with a new one for the Puli "Divine".
No need to repeat the accurate and smart comments already posted here.
However I wondered about this marvelous fennel scent as you go through the doors, giving the magnificent lobby a sense of peace and calm. (How do you get such a large area to retain a scent for so long??)
Also a charming young lady from management greeted us personally on several occasions sharing her travel experiences with us and making us feel at home.
My favorites things at the Puli:
-Breakfast at the elegant and exquisite Jing'An Restaurant, a perfect way to start the day
-A drink at the beautiful and tranquil outdoor patio, a perfect way to end it.
Thank you to the staff of the Puli for all their hard work.
We would not think about staying anywhere else the next time we visit Shanghai!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Everybodyknows

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for posting such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

Wow, my team and I are humbled by your kind words of appreciation and this just shows that our hard work and dedication is noticed and appreciated!

I am very happy that our culinary team made such lasting memories during your stay; from the delicious and complete breakfast buffet to the beautiful and tranquil, outdoor Garden Terrace.

The scent you are referring to is a combination of essential and natural oils. The blend is a mixture of Lavender, Geranium, Peppermint, Mandarin and a few others.....

I look very much forward to welcoming the both of you back when you are next in Shanghai.
Until then, I remain,

Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the PuLi for one night on November 10th - and it was by far the best hotel we stayed at in the city, and one of the best I have experienced in the world.

What sets the PuLi apart is not only great location, fantastic decor, and amazing food - it's above all stellar service. Jana, the Rooms Division Manager, is truly stellar and what all hospitality managers should strive to be like. Hospitable, helpful, kind, a real pleasure to deal with.

We were in part celebrating my birthday and the PuLi made it that much more unforgettable - champagne, a small cake, and a room upgrade. I would by far recommend the PuLi over any other hotel in Shanghai!

Oh and one last note - the pool is splendid. 25 meters, all to yourself, with great lighting. Couldn't get better.

Room Tip: Studio rooms have corner views - very nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate you taking the time to post your lovely review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi. Thank you so much.

My team and I are delighted to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your time, albeit too short of a visit.
We strive everyday to deliver the best experiences to our guests and we are extremely grateful when these are being recognized. Your words of praise will go a long way, especially your positive mention of Jana, our Rooms Division Manager. Jana is definitely an asset to our hotel with her hospitable and efficient management style.

We all look forward to welcoming you both back at the very latest by your next birthday!
Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistancd whatsoever.