“Impeccable service and a great location”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #4 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed November 7, 2013

A very good stay.
Positives:
1. amazingly great service - polite, intuitive, friendly, good communication, efficient - rare in China.
2. Upgraded on arrival - hurrah!
3. Really good food, nice menu and very prompt and pleasant room service.
4. Very comfortable bed - often they're rock hard in China.
5. FREE minibar in every room incl 2 half bottles of wine and 2 beers. Also included fresh milk to make tea/coffee in room - rare.
6. Ideal location for everything downtown/Jing An/French Concession.

Negatives:
Hardly anything except I would have liked an unobscured full-length mirror in my room, and bizarrely I found the lobby and flooring by my bed a bit too dark so I felt a bit wobbly sometimes like I was going to trip or bump into something. Maybe I'm just getting old!

• Stayed: November 2013
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time and effort in posting a review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi.

I am very happy to read that you had such a very good stay and that my team was successful in making your visit a pleasant one.

Delighted to read you enjoyed the upgrade and the overall guest room features and amenities and that you made good use of them as well!

Your point of having full length mirrors in all guest rooms is well noted.
We look forward to have you back very soon and in the meantime, I remain,

Jan B. Tibaldi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,515)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The rooms are beautiful, with really comfortable beds and a free mini bar. The staff are friendly and accommodating. Great food, bar (with a lovely terrace space to relax) and a very convenient location. Genuinely one of the best hotels I have ever been too - highly recommend it to anyone visiting Shanghai.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent experience at The PuLi. I am thrilled that you had such a great time.

I am delighted that our spacious guest accommodations exceeded your expectations and that our beds are so comfortable and that you made full usage of our free mini bar. Yes indeed, the outdoor terrace is a very relaxing area, inmidst of the hustle and bustle.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized service delivery and I am happy to read that the team was able to deliver.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon when your travel plans take you back to Shanghai. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Puli is incredibly well done. First, it's beautiful. Gorgeous design with subtle, artistic nods to Chinese art throughout, but with an overall modern, contemporary feel. The room was large and fully equipped with comfortable beds. The staff really makes this place. You truly cannot feel more well treated than at this hotel. Everyone from the desk to the restaurant to the door people are incredibly helpful. Martin, one of the front desk managers, was unbelievably nice, remembered our names and talked to us regularly about China and how our stay was going. If you can swing it, book the Club level rooms. Includes a butler service that responds instantly to any need. I got sick and had the butler and 3 people at the concierge desk looking up the medicine I needed in Chinese. they called the pharmacy to make sure they had the medicine, then wrote the words down in Chinese for me to give to the pharmacist. Super helpful. Club level also includes check in and out at any time, free mini bar stocked with alcohol, free daily breakfast (which is outstanding, truly!) , free daily laundry service (10 items washed every day is a real bonus if you're staying a few days), a $70 credit at the bar for drinks every day. Outside on the streets of Shanghai, it's mayhem, so when you come back to the Puli, it's like returning to an oasis. To get a good rate, book 50 days in advance and the rate is reduced by 40%, which makes it a true deal. You are located in the financial district and surrounded by a lot of Prada and Hugo Boss. Venture away from this to see the more interesting aspects of Shanghai. The metro is easy, cheap, clean and safe and will take you everywhere.

Room Tip: Book Club level rooms for a real treat on service and lots of extras that make the trip nicer.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time spent in posting such a great review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi.

I am delighted to read you were very satisfied with your stay and that the entire team made your visit such a pleasant experience. We all hope you are well recovered and are feeling much better!

I appreciate you writing about Martin our Lobby Manager - Martin is indeed an asset to our team as he knows most of our valued guests by name and he makes our patrons feel at home and at ease. Martin will be delighted to note that his enthusiasm and outgoing personality is appreciated and recognized.

I fully concur with you - Club benefits represent excellent value ads and offer meaningful services you would normally have to pay extra and the 50-day advance booking offer makes it even sweeter!

My entire team looks forward to welcome you back to our oasis, inmidst of the hustle and bustle, and if there is anything I may be of assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

This Hotel is Superb! I liked the image of hotel: lovely artwork and the style of design. Puli is totally different hotel than normally hotels are in Shanghai. Staff are very friendly and helpfull. Got few day flu but staff gave all their help to get me well.
Spa Anantarra is the best hotel spa where I have ever been: stylish, clean and ofcorse excellent treatments!
I really enjoyed my being in Shanghai cause stayed in Puli.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Taina S
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate you posting such a nice review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.
Indeed, The PuLi differentiates itself from many other luxury properties as we are different in overall design and service approach.
We are a urban resort in the middle of a hustling and bustling city and attract a clientele who looks for a tranquil and serene environment and personalized service without being "stuffy".

I do hope you were able to overcome your cold and am happy my colleagues were successful in finding remidies to make you feel better.

Thank you for recognizing our Anantara Spa - I will ensure the the ladies at the spa are informed about your lovely feedback.

Please do let me know when you are next planning another visit to The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

The most stunning of hotels. I can't find the words to describe it
The entrance is just gorgeous. Bamboo lined path takes you into a long bar reception. Artwork and furniture is superb. Very zen like. The staff are beyond courteous and helpful. Really taking time to suggest places to visit and ways to get around.
The room is huge with a bath in one of the windows and separate basins. There are ornaments very carefully placed. The bed was fantastic.so comfortable
The swimming pool is really long with an infinity edge and the sauna etc is just exquisite
Location so good for restaurants we didn't try the hotel. Also very easy access to shops.the metro and historical sights

Room Tip: There won't be anything but fantastic rooms
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

What a nice review - thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I am very pleased to note you enjoyed the design, layout and artwork, especially when you enter the hotel and find peace and quiet.

Most of all I am delighted that our team members are beyond courteous and helpful - they will be pleased to read this so that they can see that their hard work and dedication is not gone unnoticed.

I concur with you - our guest rooms are sublime and not only do they look very nice, they are also very functional, spacious and comfortable.

Happy to read you took advantige of our indoor infinity pool and wet areas - they are very inviting indeed and there is nothing better than soaking your body and mind and getting any stress out of the system after a long day full of shopping and sightseeing in the nearby neighborhood!

We look forward to having you back soon and remain,

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I travel all the time but I have never written a review of a hotel. It would not be fair, however, to the people who are responsible for this hotel's exceptional performance if I did not. Let's be quite clear, this is an amazing place, but that is not an accident.

Its location and concept are unprecedented (totaly serene) but that would be nothing if it were not supported by the people who manage and provide the services here.

Let's start with Jan Tibaldi, the GM. You'll see him checking out the lobby if you stay here (other GM's of hotels-please note and copy). Jan understands customer service completely. He knows what you value and why and he wants to get it to you in bucket loads. What an enlightened and refreshing attitude. He is approachable and extremely responsive- he deserves every success for presenting guests here with an outstanding experience. He also understands that if he can improve something for a guest that will be paid back in customer loyalty. Pretty obvious maybe but Jan actually wants you to have a great time. Part of how he does that is that he clearly hires excellent people. For example, he has an extremely accomplished assistant rooms manager, Zana Bhonsle. If there is anything wrong (likley to be pretty trivial in the big picture) and you want someone who will get something sorted out for you in a quiet and professional manner, she is the go to person . She is a real asset and genuinely responsive.

The rooms are a pleasure to be in and the lobby is serene in a way that is hard to appreciate in the bustle of Shanghai. Sitting outside is better than doing Tai Chi- at night it looks like a landscape painting from another age.

OK. it's not the Park Hyatt, the Waldorf or the Shangrila but I personally like this better. It is intensely personal and tries harder. it is not pretentious but is fabulously trendy.

Congratulations to Jan and his staff-you cracked it. No 4 and heading upwards- inevitable if you keep this going.

Bravo.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank VRC2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

My team and I are truly humbled by your high praises, acknowledgement and feedback following your stay with us.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and genuine service delivery and I am proud to learn that our entire team, most notably Mrs. Jana Bhonsle, our wonderful and accomplished Rooms Division Manager, was successful in ensuring you felt comfortable and well looked after. Jana was thrilled by your most gracious praises.

We are so happy that our location, concept and serene atmosphere are unprecedented as you so kindly put it.

We have a very high repeat guest ratio as our patrons enjoy our urban resort feel,design, personalized service and eye for detail immensely; it is rare to find such a serene setting in the middle of a hustling and bustling environment such as Shanghai or any other major city.

Thank you again, you have made me indeed very proud and the entire Puli team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon to your new home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

You definitely can't fault an independent hotel like the Puli which took a stand to be independent in a place like Shanghai where every other hotel is big, branded and for the most part impersonal.

Not only is Puli beautifully designed, it's lobby bar is actually a place Id go to for a drink with friends even if I wasn't staying at the hotel. And though the hotel is next to the elevated highway, double glazed windows provide a sound barrier that makes the silence almost surreal.

Bonuses? It's around the corner from the subway station and a stone's throw from Jung An Temple and Nanking Road where you can shop, dine and more.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am so proud to learn that your experience was such a pleasent one.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations and that our great location and proximity to major shopping, dining and sight seeing made your visit such a success and convenient one.

We look forward to your return in the near future and remain,