“One of the best hotels I've experienced”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #5 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I travel around the world for work and often get surprised by wonderful hotel rooms, but this tops it. Stunning design. Your own sanctuary. Gazing out across shanghai from the luxurious bath tubs. I would design my house like this if I could! Brilliant bar and great service for English speakers. Cannot wait to go back. The swimming pool is a piece of heaven.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Wow, thank you very much for your comments and praise following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I am extremely delighted to note that we were able to surprise you during your stay with the stunning design of our urban resort and complimented by our great service - especially coming from such a well travelled person such as yourself.

The entire team at the PuLi and myself look forward to welcome you back in the near future to your new home-away-from-home.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Beautifully designed and appointed,extremely comfortable and well located this hotel adjoins a park. Its philosophy is lifestyle and luxury. But the best thing about this sanctuary in the centre of Shanghai is the attitude and attention of the staff. All speak good English. The service is intelligent, friendly, helpful and genuine without being obsequious. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All the rooms look good to me. I was upgraded to the club floor because I arrived early! Higher fl...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Guest,
I really appreciate you taking the time to post such a lovely TripAdvisor review following your recent stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

It is always nice to read about the positive service aptitude of each and every team member contributing to our guests' stay - thank you for pointing this out - I will be very glad to share your review with all of them!

I am very happy your stay was such a success and that you enjoyed our comfortable and beautifully designed and appointed facilities.

My team and I are already looking forward to your return to our Sanctuary and in the meantime,
I remain,

With kindest regards,

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Amazing hotel with excellent design. Beautiful wood finishings, dimmed lighting and large rooms. It really made Shanghai feel special for me. Chic clientele from all over the world. Great service. I would say 'state of the art'. Recommend

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your you comments posted on TripAdvisor following your stay with us last November.

I was extremely happy to read you were delighted with your stay and that you enjoyed the design, finishings and the generous guest room size; most of all I am pleased to note that you rated our service as being excellent.

We look forward to seeing you soon again and appreciate you recommending The PuLi to your friends.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I travel too much. But I have never encountered such good service. The person who checked us also took us to our room and showed us where things were. My ten-year son asked about when the aquarium opened. When we returned from lunch, there was a personal note to him with the details. We did not see this person for three days at check-out. She remembered his first name and asked what he thought of Shanghai and of the aquarium.

And this is just one example--there are plenty of other good things about this place. Great pool for laps and exercise equipment first-rate. Room tastefully furnished. Really liked the mini-bar included in the price in a city that is humid and where one should drink a lot. Wireless everywhere and also included on as many devices as you want made it easy to stay in touch with the office. The location is also good--direct subway line to the Bund that is only a few stops, and many good restaurants nearby. If you tire of Chinese, the sushi place in an alley around the corner is terrific (albeit expensive).

Only one minor complaint--one day was a holiday while we were there any many restaurants closed, so we had late appetisers in the hotel. They were creative but a bit pricy and lukewarm instead of hot.

But I love this place--I hope I can return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am so proud to learn that your experience was unparalleled in every way.

I am so delighted that we exceeded your and your sons expectations from the personalized and intutitive service provided by our team members to our spacious and comfortable guest accommodations. It is the little things that can make and break an expereince, especially when you are constantly traveling....

So great to read you were able to enjoy and make use of the Health Club fascilities and that the amenities were to your liking!

I look forward to welcoming you and your son Bastian back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We chose to end our trip at The Puli with high expectations, and we weren't disappointed for one second. The second you arrive at the property, you will probably stop looking at your phone and realize that something is just a bit different.

If there was one word I would use to describe the property, it would be "Generous." Free mini bar, ubiquitous bottles of water and towels, too. I called and asked for an extra shampoo, but they brought an entire set of amenities. The same goes for the rooms. Rooms are huge, and again, perfectly designed. The giant screens separating the bathroom were beautiful. The attention to quality with the amenities, the bath salts, the bose radio, and the mini bar are usually where most hotels cut corners, but Puli adds their own personality to each of them. If I could, I would put the bed in my suitcase and take it home, but I guess that's not possible.

The pool is simply one of the finest I have ever found. The design is phenomenal, as well as functional. It was completely full of people, yet still it was quiet and relaxing. The lights were low, and there was just a touch of music that was slightly audible. The ambiance is quite hard to describe, but it was awesome.

We had a really early departure that morning, so we had no chance to try breakfast at Jing'An, but I would imagine it's just as good as the rest of the hotel.

A few criticisms:

The men at the door and as well as the staff behind the front desk were a bit rigid, and their service was fine, but nothing special. Getting a taxi to certain destinations (even when written in Chinese) were met with some confusion, so it took a while to figure out exactly where we wanted to go.

Anyways, we loved the refined luxury of this property. It seems that no detail has been left unchecked, which makes this place so good. We'll be back shortly.

Room Tip: Higher is better, but I'm sure all rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

What great feedback!
My team and I are delighted that you had a most pleasant stay and it was a sincere pleasure having you with us.

I was very glad to read that you enjoyed our generous amenities such as free minibar, free WIFI, bathroom products etc. and that you enjoyed the design, generous size and layout of our guest rooms and facilities.

It is nice to know that our pool is not only one of the finest you have encoutered, but also functional, phenomenal and with ambiance.

Your comments on the front of house has been well received and I will ensure to discuss this with the relevant department.

Once again, I would like to express our heartfelt gratitude for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to The PuLi.

Best wishes,

Reviewed October 9, 2013

When choosing a hotel in Shanghai, i couldn't decide between The Puli or somewhere on the Bund. I am so pleased i chose the Puli, it was simply amazing!
The hotel decor is very modern but equally very comforting. This theme continues from the entrance to the lobby, the rooms, the well being area and the outdoor space.
The room was exactly to our taste, great seating, comfy bed, fab views from the stunning bath and elsewhere around the room, lots of space, complimentary mini-bar, comfy robes and slippers. The list goes on.
The pool and the changing rooms were luxurious beyond belief. Lovely showers, hot tub, comfy seating around the pool and a lovely long pool where you could swim proper lengths.
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. They always made you feel comfortable and welcome, where ever you were in the hotel
My only disappointment - i had to go home!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travellover6128
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you for such a raving review following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

It makes me smile to read that your disappointment was - having to go home!

I am delighted that you enjoyed the warm and comforting decor of our urban resort and that you made full use of your spacious guestroom, the Health Club facilities and Spa. I have to agree - the views from the guest rooms can be spectacular, especially during the night when soaking in the bathtub and facing Shanghai's impressive skylights.

I really appreciate your comments about the friendliness of my colleagues - they will be so proud to hear that their efforts in ensuring our guests are looked after in such a friendly and welcoming way have been highlighted.

We wish you a lovely autumn and look forward to your next visit when in Shanghai.

With best regards,

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel's design and interior all is excellent. Good location and near to hotel I enjoyed bali restaurant. Breakfast fast also nice. Spa and pool is ok but room is really nice. Other service part is ok nothing special for star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank hotelmiddlepath

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this nice review following your recent stay at The PuLi Hotel and Spa in August.

I am delighted to know you enjoyed your time with us and that you especially liked our location, design and interiors, room comfort and our JingAn restaurant.

My team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai and the PuLi in the near future.

Yours sincerely,