“customer service unparalleled”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #5 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I travel too much. But I have never encountered such good service. The person who checked us also took us to our room and showed us where things were. My ten-year son asked about when the aquarium opened. When we returned from lunch, there was a personal note to him with the details. We did not see this person for three days at check-out. She remembered his first name and asked what he thought of Shanghai and of the aquarium.

And this is just one example--there are plenty of other good things about this place. Great pool for laps and exercise equipment first-rate. Room tastefully furnished. Really liked the mini-bar included in the price in a city that is humid and where one should drink a lot. Wireless everywhere and also included on as many devices as you want made it easy to stay in touch with the office. The location is also good--direct subway line to the Bund that is only a few stops, and many good restaurants nearby. If you tire of Chinese, the sushi place in an alley around the corner is terrific (albeit expensive).

Only one minor complaint--one day was a holiday while we were there any many restaurants closed, so we had late appetisers in the hotel. They were creative but a bit pricy and lukewarm instead of hot.

But I love this place--I hope I can return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am so proud to learn that your experience was unparalleled in every way.

I am so delighted that we exceeded your and your sons expectations from the personalized and intutitive service provided by our team members to our spacious and comfortable guest accommodations. It is the little things that can make and break an expereince, especially when you are constantly traveling....

So great to read you were able to enjoy and make use of the Health Club fascilities and that the amenities were to your liking!

I look forward to welcoming you and your son Bastian back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We chose to end our trip at The Puli with high expectations, and we weren't disappointed for one second. The second you arrive at the property, you will probably stop looking at your phone and realize that something is just a bit different.

If there was one word I would use to describe the property, it would be "Generous." Free mini bar, ubiquitous bottles of water and towels, too. I called and asked for an extra shampoo, but they brought an entire set of amenities. The same goes for the rooms. Rooms are huge, and again, perfectly designed. The giant screens separating the bathroom were beautiful. The attention to quality with the amenities, the bath salts, the bose radio, and the mini bar are usually where most hotels cut corners, but Puli adds their own personality to each of them. If I could, I would put the bed in my suitcase and take it home, but I guess that's not possible.

The pool is simply one of the finest I have ever found. The design is phenomenal, as well as functional. It was completely full of people, yet still it was quiet and relaxing. The lights were low, and there was just a touch of music that was slightly audible. The ambiance is quite hard to describe, but it was awesome.

We had a really early departure that morning, so we had no chance to try breakfast at Jing'An, but I would imagine it's just as good as the rest of the hotel.

A few criticisms:

The men at the door and as well as the staff behind the front desk were a bit rigid, and their service was fine, but nothing special. Getting a taxi to certain destinations (even when written in Chinese) were met with some confusion, so it took a while to figure out exactly where we wanted to go.

Anyways, we loved the refined luxury of this property. It seems that no detail has been left unchecked, which makes this place so good. We'll be back shortly.

Room Tip: Higher is better, but I'm sure all rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

What great feedback!
My team and I are delighted that you had a most pleasant stay and it was a sincere pleasure having you with us.

I was very glad to read that you enjoyed our generous amenities such as free minibar, free WIFI, bathroom products etc. and that you enjoyed the design, generous size and layout of our guest rooms and facilities.

It is nice to know that our pool is not only one of the finest you have encoutered, but also functional, phenomenal and with ambiance.

Your comments on the front of house has been well received and I will ensure to discuss this with the relevant department.

Once again, I would like to express our heartfelt gratitude for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to The PuLi.

Best wishes,

Reviewed October 9, 2013

When choosing a hotel in Shanghai, i couldn't decide between The Puli or somewhere on the Bund. I am so pleased i chose the Puli, it was simply amazing!
The hotel decor is very modern but equally very comforting. This theme continues from the entrance to the lobby, the rooms, the well being area and the outdoor space.
The room was exactly to our taste, great seating, comfy bed, fab views from the stunning bath and elsewhere around the room, lots of space, complimentary mini-bar, comfy robes and slippers. The list goes on.
The pool and the changing rooms were luxurious beyond belief. Lovely showers, hot tub, comfy seating around the pool and a lovely long pool where you could swim proper lengths.
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. They always made you feel comfortable and welcome, where ever you were in the hotel
My only disappointment - i had to go home!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travellover6128
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you for such a raving review following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

It makes me smile to read that your disappointment was - having to go home!

I am delighted that you enjoyed the warm and comforting decor of our urban resort and that you made full use of your spacious guestroom, the Health Club facilities and Spa. I have to agree - the views from the guest rooms can be spectacular, especially during the night when soaking in the bathtub and facing Shanghai's impressive skylights.

I really appreciate your comments about the friendliness of my colleagues - they will be so proud to hear that their efforts in ensuring our guests are looked after in such a friendly and welcoming way have been highlighted.

We wish you a lovely autumn and look forward to your next visit when in Shanghai.

With best regards,

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel's design and interior all is excellent. Good location and near to hotel I enjoyed bali restaurant. Breakfast fast also nice. Spa and pool is ok but room is really nice. Other service part is ok nothing special for star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank hotelmiddlepath

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this nice review following your recent stay at The PuLi Hotel and Spa in August.

I am delighted to know you enjoyed your time with us and that you especially liked our location, design and interiors, room comfort and our JingAn restaurant.

My team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai and the PuLi in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed 3 days at the Puli hotel with my father who comes frequently in Shanghai since many years. He always change his hotel and didn't found the good one. He's never satisfied about the service & the quality - Concerning Puli, there is no criticism to say. Everything was perfect, the moment we entered in the hotel - the Check in to the Check out time ! All the staff we met was kind and smiling, very welcoming. The GM, Jan Tibaldi, is warm and take care of his customers. We feel really good in this hotel, confortable, enjoyable, splendid place with superb infrastructures and nice design - very relaxing - I'm happy to use Trip advisor to let a good comment about this place and I highly recommand it, especially when you compare with others 5 stars hotels in Shanghai.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Naztasha,

Thank you so much for posting such a raving review on TripAdvisor following you and your dad's visit with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

Wow, what can I say other than how appreciative my entire team and I are to have been able to offer such a great experience to your and your discerning father.

To find a hotel which can offer tranquility, service and match it with great intrastructure in midst of the hustle and bustle of such a vibrant city can be a challenging task! Happy we were able to deliver.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any future assistance and thank you for recommending The PuLi to your friends and contacts.

In the meantime I remain,
With kindest regards

Reviewed October 7, 2013

By all means this hotel surpases my expectations. Service is top, location is great, facilities are lovely. The room was so comfortable when I got home I went out and bought a new mattress and pillows to recreate the Puli experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely TripAdvisor review following your stay with us in June at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I am very happy to read that your stay with us was a success across the board and that you enjoyed our service, loacation and facilities.

Pleased to note that you were able to "recreate" your PuLi sleeping experience back home - so very important to have a comfortable and sound sleep patern - you do spend nearly a third of your life span in bed!

Thank you again for choosing The PuLi and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Located right next to a metro station, plenty of shopping opportunities and the Golden Temple, the PuLi is an oasis of calm with it's entrance discretely hidden from the street. The service is excellent and makes you feel welcome from the moment you come out of the taxi. Checking in is very efficient and quick and as a first-time visitor you will always be followed to your room and explained the details such as the (well-stocked and free) mini-bar etc.
The room itself is among the best I've stayed in – very good, spacious layout, furnished in modern and tasteful design that is a miles from what other so-called "design hotels" cram their rooms with. The same can be said for the rest of the hotel, which stylishly combines modern and traditional asian elements without drifting off into kitsch. As mentioned, the mini-bar is well stocked with various soft-drinks and beer as well as some snacks, there is the by now obligatory Nespresso machine and also the tea is of very good quality. As a part of their turn-down service the hotel also provides a bucket of ice every evening.
If the bathtub is not enough for you head over to the pool: here you can actually swim laps in the morning. For relaxation, there's also a sauna and a warm basin with massage jets.
We had a very pleasant stay at the PuLi and would definitely recommend it to anyone staying in Shanghai – be it for business or pleasure. The service, the atmosphere and the general attention to all the small details that really make you feel at home make this an excellent choice.

Room Tip: The upgrade to a Grand Room is definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our oasis of calm, tasteful design, location and our comfortable and spacious guest accommodations and most importantly our forthcoming service delivery.

I am also pleased to learn that you enjoyed the stylishly combination of modern and traditional asian elements throughout the hotel.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm and genuine service delivery and I am so proud that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The PuLi soon and in the interim,

I remain at your service.