“Simply the Best!”

Ranked #6 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
concord
“Simply the Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I probably cannot give you enough accolades here to suggest how wonderful my stay at the Puli Hotel and Spa was during a recent visit to Shanghai. In a most elegant part of town, with interior and exterior design to die for, I was able to leave behind every care and irritant when I walked into their very modern lobby. Checking in while seated, which only a few of the best hotels allow, I soon found myself enjoying a glass of Prosecco and delighting in the many comforts of the place. Attendance to my needs seemed to be their priority, but I'll quickly say that my fellow guests also seemed to be well satisfied! The staff is pleasant and attentive, and it seemed as if the manager was everywhere at once, looking in on all of his guests. Bravo to him! You run a fine establishment, Sir, and I will return! Both the spa and the pool were too seductive!
kss

P.S. - Did I mention that the food in the restaurant was scrumptious? Make sure you have the Sunday buffet!

Room Tip: Get the highest floor you can, and watch Shanghai glow at night!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kss877
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are humbled by your high praise and thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

We could not concur more with your statement in describing the calmness one experiences when walking through the large doors to the lobby, leaving all noise and irritation behind.

We were expecially delighted that you appreciated the timely and genuine service extended by our team members. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with thoughtful and unobtrusive service delivery, and I am proud to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you and your fellow guests. Our culinary team will be happy to read about your various scrumptious dining experiences.

We hope to welcome you back very soon when you are next coming to Shanghai.
In the interim, I remain at your service.

Jan B. Tibaldi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reggio Emilia, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hotel is really magnificent !!!
Nothing to say everything is perfect , from the lobby to the room furniture , to the pool !!
The only bad note is the Italian restaurant inside the hotel TO AVOID !! they serve terrible Italian food .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

We are very happy to read that you had a perfect stay and that you enjoyed our hotel amenities and facilites to that extent.

May I clarify that our restaurant Jing'An is not an "Italian" restaurant - it serves a modern, international cuisine and our Executive Chef tries to incorporate as many local ingredients as possible.
I have since reached out to you directly so as to understand your experience and feedback.

Wishing you a very nice Ferragosto and looking forward to having you back in the near future.

With kindest regards,

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

great way to end off my shanghai trip ... the chaos, stress, and memories of horrible taxi drivers melted away immediately upon checking in. super relaxing pool and spa area, generally impeccable service (with the exception of the restaurant) - loved the in-room butler service. really comfortable bed too.

only issue was with restaurant staff who did not give correct information which resulted in us being forced to have the brunch buffet when we really just wanted something light from the a la carte menu (they had told us this was not possible, but we later found out that, had we waited just 20 mins, we would have been able to do so).

Room Tip: club floor rooms have additional service benefits
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We hope your onwards travels were comfortable and we thank you very much for taking the time to write your overall positive review following your visit with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I was delighted to read that the final stage of your Shanghai trip was spent with us and that you were able to leave any chaos, stress related mode of travels behind you and endulge in the "super zen" and peaceful hotel environment we are famed for.

I will let the butler team know they greatly contributed to the overall success of your stay.

Please accept my apologies for the wrong information given to you at our restaurant during Sunday brunch with regards to serving a la Carte. I have addressed this with our service team and reenforced our alternate dining options such as offering our Long Bar venue for a la Carte and snacks during brunch time.

Thank you again for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bridgetown, Saint Michael, Barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I visited the Puli Hotel and Spa on a recent to Shanghai. I found that the hotel facilities were very zen like.The rooms are extremely well decorated and comfortable with an amazing view of the skyline. However, most importantly the service by the hotel staff is exemplary and unobtrusive. The food, of course, was top class. Will definitely go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lili R
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your TripAdvisor review following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

We are thrilled to read your stay was such a success and that you enjoyed the Zen like atmosphere and that you were comfortable with your room overlooking Shanghai's skyline.

We appreciate your comment on the service being unobtrusive yet great and that from a culinary point of view, you were equally satisfied.
I will be pleased to share your experiences with our team who will be delighted to know that their work has not gone unnoticed.

Please do let us know if we may be of any assistance whatsoever in the near future and we wish you a very pleasant summer.

With kindest regards,

Bangkok
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We just got off a long flight and got harassed by a taxi driver when we arrived at the hotel. We just wanted to go to our room and get some sleep. But we had to wait in the lobby for over an hour until our rooms was ready. And they didn’t offer us anything, not even a glass of water. And it was 38 degrees outside.

Our hotel voucher clearly mentioned “complimentary breakfast”. However, they didn’t want to give it to us. Neither the check-in staff, nor the front office manager. They said if we wanted to complain, we had to contact a company called HRS, which we have never heard of. It wasn’t a very nice welcome on our first day for sure. Remember, it clearly said “complimentary breakfast” on our voucher. Eventually, they agreed to give us the breakfast.

You can order something from the menu during breakfast. However, when a waiter hands a guest the menu, the waiter should follow-up with this guest a few minutes later to take the order. A waiter learns this during his first day of training. Well, not at The Puli. Also applies to refills of tea and coffee. You constantly have to look for a waiter.

There is no pedestrian walkway to/from the main road. You have to walk on the driveway, which is barely wide enough for two cars to pass each other.

The hair dryers in the gym’s locker room are very flimsy. They probably cost less than $5. And your hair style will look accordingly cheap. They build this grand hotel but then want to save a few bucks on things that really matter.

We asked the front office where the nearest CD store is. Usually a good indictor if the concierge knows the neighborhood. He directed us to a place called “City Store” (note the similar pronunciation to CD store). Of course there were no CDs for sale at City Store. If you are in a big and overwhelming city like Shanghai, a good concierge is essential. We think The Puli fails in this respect.

We didn’t think the overall concept was very convincing. There are Chinese antiques everywhere and at the same time there is this constant tacky Western lounge music. That combination was trying a bit too hard to blend the new and the old, the East and the West. Then again, other people consider it stylish. But if you are someone who really appreciates style and culture, you probably won’t appreciate it.

Room Tip: Rooms that are facing Jing'an Park
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank thaiswiss
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly disheartened to have disappointed you on this occasion with certain services.

Please allow me to explain:
Our check in time is 2 pm. We advise our guests to pre-book the room a day in advance for a guaranteed early check in.
But it is always our endeavor to accommodate our guests early - subject to availability. In your case, I am pleased to note that we did manage to give you a room as early as 9:30 in the morning.

As explained to you whilst you were at the hotel, your online agent had booked you on a room only basis with no breakfast inclusion. The voucher you carried mentioned old information regarding the complimentary breakfast. We did honour your request inspite of the error in the information on your online travel agent voucher. We have asked the agency to correct the information so that there is no confusion in the future.

With regards to the concierge service, and recommendation of a place to buy CDs. I agree they could have been more clear whilst recommending an ideal place for purchases. In addition, the service at breakfast should have been more efficient and forthcoming.

I am sorry to note that the design of the hotel did not appeal to your taste and liking.

Please let me reiterate my heartfelt apologies for the poor impression we have made during your visit .This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when you are next in Shanghai.

With kind regards,

Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been on a business trip throughout Asia, this is my last stop. Out of all the hotels stayed at this was the most disappointing hotel of all. They defend all their shortcomings on the fact that they are a "boutique" hotel. However this does not defend the really atrocious service in the one and only small dak and insignificant restaurant. The prices are simply outrageous, and I landed up in spite of a liberal expense account eating out in the city. I could not justify paying their prices for the "food" they served. Room service was awful, yes there is a nice coffee maching in the room, yes there is fresh milk in the fridge, however for three days I have had to ask for sweetener. The propery is very tired, and needs some major renovations. With all the choices in Shanghai, give this one a wide berth. The internet works on and off. The list is so long, had I not foolishly prepaud the room, i would have checked out to another of the hotels in the area. The reviews have all been positive about the "spa" The equipment in the gym is no better than a Quinta or a Holiday Inn Express in the USA. Yes the pool is nice, but very dark., I have nothing to say positive about this stay.

Room Tip: Search another hotel site. This one is totally miss leading.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank richard c
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Please allow me to extend my sincere apologies that your recent experience with us was not a positive one. Rest assured we take each and every piece of feedback very seriously and hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence and trust in us.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy our food and that you found it expensive. I would like to mention that our price guidelines are well within the range of other luxury hotels in Shanghai.

Our culinary team works hard to please our guests in every possible way. It is unfortunate that the dishes prepared for you did not meet your expectations.

I welcome the opportunity to learn more about the details of your experience and may be reached at information@thepuli.com

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Respectfully,

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Nice spacious rooms, modern decor, good attentive service (including reliable concierge service). The indoor swimming pool is awesome. 15-20 mins from the Bund but traffic in Shanghai isn't as bad and the area of the Puli is quieter and more residential than most hotels on the Bund which can be chaotic. Staff is also very accomodative. Well recommend and more original than many of the chains (which are largely on the Pudong side anyway).

• Stayed July 2013
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased that our spacious guest accommodations, modern decor, awesome swimming pool area and good, attentive and accommodating staff made your stay such a success.

I am especially delighted that you appreciated our reliable Concierge service and general team members. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with thoughtful service delivery, and I am proud to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this.

We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future and in the interim,

I remain at your service.