“Wonderful Place in Shanghai”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #5 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Brentwood,TN
“Wonderful Place in Shanghai”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The staff is very helpful and accommodating. The hotel lobby is very modern bu warm and inviting. Ou room was on the 18th floor overlooking the park. Our tub was next to floor to ceiling windows with a beautiful view and very romantic. My wife and I took a bah every night here. The minibar was stocked and free. Very good coffee was available in the room. The location is close to a metro station and convenient to many restaurants. I highly recommend Xibo for dinner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most encouraging feedback from your recent visit.

I was very pleased to learn that our staff were helpful and accommodating and that you were especially impressed with our romantic guest bathroom accommodations with its stunning views.

We pride ourselves for maintaining a warm and inviting atmosphere, and this being in a very vibrant and happening city full of "hustle and bustle".

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Jan B. Tibaldi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed April 21, 2013

When in Shanghai, I usually find myself staying at the Portman Ritz Carlton. The service is great there and I'm familiar with the hotel and its surroundings. On a recent business trip, a friend talked me into trying this new boutique hotel in the Jing An district. The Puli came highly recommended from friends and trusted sources on TripAdvisor, but I think expectations were too high and eventually led to its undoing.

Let's start with the positives first. The airport pick-up was on time and pleasant. My flight arrived late and immigration at the airport was backed up. By the time I cleared customs, it was well past 22:00. The driver made the 50km trip in a little less than 30 minutes which was nice since I had an early meeting the following morning. The only downside was the cost. The hotel charged me more than US$150 for the ride which is really my own fault. I asked for the most inexpensive car without checking the price. My in-room breakfast each morning was also pleasant. I had a room that faced the park next door so each morning started with a calm serenity and a nutritious breakfast. That's all the positives that I can recall.

Now on to the disappointing facets of my stay. The check-in process took way too much time. There were at least four guests waiting in line to check-in in front of me, but no one showed up to help the poor girl who was manning the front by herself. There was another guy behind the counter, but he never moved to alleviate the congestion. It took me almost 20 minutes to get up to my room and once I got in, I immediately had a problem with the hotel's WiFi connection. I hate it when hotels offer free broadband to all their guests. The connections are usually not reliable and when you finally connect, it's slow. The Puli has two routers you could connect to, but both were running slow that night. I called downstairs for an IT guy to help me, but he never showed up. The problem corrected itself the following afternoon. Whoever was sucking up all that bandwidth on my floor must have checked out in the morning. The following morning, I waited in line to speak with the concierge about directions to my next meeting. At 10am, there was only one concierge on duty and again, multiple people in line. I waited for 10 minutes and then decided to figure it out on my own.

The room was handsomely decorated with what I would call modern Asia motif. I stayed on a club floor (if that makes a difference) and everything seemed to be in order - or so I thought. Like most things in China, everything looks nice, but in reality, it isn't really nice. Here's what I mean. I bumped into the wood panel underneath the window with my chair. The panel popped open exposing the electrical wire inside the wall. I tried to push the panel back in, but to no avail. I alerted the housekeeping staff, but they couldn't fix it either. The door to the shower would only open half way - any further and the door would hit the rainfall shower head connected to the ceiling. I'm not sure if the shower head got shifted by mistake or it was simply bad design. Also, the caulk sealing the bath tub to the wall had separated. I would hate to see what happens if water gets in there. Lastly, the wood paneling and the stone tiles were not installed flush with one another. You can see places where tiles are half a centimeter higher than the one next to it. Like I said, it all looks nice, but upon careful inspection, there are multiple signs of poor craftsmanship.

The gym is actually quite good for a hotel gym, but the indoor pool is a bit dodgy. From the outside, it looks like a nice 25 meter pool perfect for lap swimming, but once you get in the water, you notice that the water is a bit murky and somewhat dirty. I swam in it twice and came away with the same feeling both times.

The jacuzzi / sauna area in between the locker room and the pool is a bit dangerous. When the floor is covered by a thin film of water, it's actually quite slippery. I giggled quietly when I saw another guest slip and fall, but I wasn't laughing when the same thing happened to me the next day.

I'm going to stop here because I don't want to sound too negative. If you are expecting a 5-Star hotel with 5-Star service, you will be disappointed. This is a 4.0/4.5-Star hotel with 3-Star service. Most of the people working at the hotel are young and energetic, but they lack experience in the service industry. The hotel can benefit from hiring more experienced people and by offering extended training for their younger constituents. Uneven service quality is a common problem among boutique hotels that don't have established benchmarks (Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, Four Seasons etc.). Perhaps I will try the new Shangri-La across the street on my next visit.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the park; not the highway
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank nrexjp
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your detailed comments following you stay with us earlier this month.

Whilst I was happy to read that the airport transfer to the hotel in terms of pick-up was pleasant and that you made it in very good time from the airport, I was disturbed by some of your comments.
With the time it took us to register you at arrival; I have instructed our reception to ensure they ask for assistance when multiple guests are arriving and awaiting to register.
You will be happy to read that we are upgrading our WIFI/bandwidth to ensure speadier connectivety - we are doing this next month.
Some of the wood panels next to the window do have magnetic strips for easy technical access and should easily latch on; I am very sorry that you were inconvenienced with our lack ot putting it back in place.
I am somewhat confused to read about the shower doors only opening halfway and the potential design flaw of having the door hit the rainfall shower head.
All of our shower room doors have ampel space to ensure they do not interfere with the shower heads.
I can assure you that our pool is serviced, cleaned and chemically sanitized on a daily basis - I will monitor the water clearness closely as we have a lot of our guests use this facility.

I regret that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and would like to resolve this matter to your satisfaction. I hope that you will provide me with the opportunity to further discuss this matter with you and I may be reached at info@thepuli.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Respectfully,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

This is the kind of hotel you could move into and never leave. Beautifully appointed rooms. One of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. big comfortable bed, and a sofa, plus an open bathroom, that could be closed off with sliding doors. We had a lovely outlook over the park. Breakfast is fantastic and lots of choice. The bar is beautiful of an evening, and in the warm weather the outdoor space is beautiful. The staff are lovely and helpful. The location is good, really close to the metro, and near shops and restaurants. We stayed there as a gay couple very happily.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaulSydney
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us earlier in the month.

We were pleased to learn that you were most impressed with our beautifully appointed guest room with its comfortable bed and tremendous view, the delicious breakfast with its vast choices, and most importantly our helpful staff and last but not least, our great location.

I am proud to learn that our team members were so successful in creating fond memories for you and we already look forward to your return.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 17, 2013

After some mix up on changing my dates the Puli was very accomodating and said they would refund me the day I had over booked on.. I was pleased as they rang me to sort this out and this I felt from my point of view the start of a really great two day stay. The hotel is indeed a resort set in the middle of the city. We walked to the Bund (which took about 2 hours with some stopping at shops and a bar on the way..) However, what really didn't make this hotel a 5 star - was the service at reception, they said they would refund us the day stay on check out and we also passed on a card to for them to keep for incidentals, this was fine by both of us. What we didn't envision was phone calls and messages the next day from reception calling us to settle a few hundred RMB we had over spent on. And for us to give them a credit card (which they didn't specify at check in - so we handed over a Chinese bank debit card) anyway, considering we were going to check out the next day we felt harassed and we agreed with the manager to settle everything the next day when we were to check out. The most funny thing was that on check out they forgot to refund us the day extra we had booked by mistake. The reception let the team down for us....

1 Thank chrissielw
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I was happy to read that you appreciated the location of the Hotel and I was equally pleased to see that we were able to adjust your booking (which was made and paid to an Online Travel Agent).
I am however very sorry that our Manager on Duty was not clear in specifying that it will take 30 days to have the money refunded to you by the agent and that we were not clear about our credit policy towards you, where we ask our guests to deposit a valit credit card or cash to secure incidential funds.
Please accept my sincere apoligies for the inconvenience caused.

I will ensure that we become more precise in our communication, especially when matters involving cash are discussed.

We are hopeful that you will return in our efforts to restore your confidence in us and remain at your service.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Beatiful quiet hotel with fabulous ammentities and the friendliest staff. I was traveling alone and the staff catered to my every request, The hotel is relaxing and wonderfully appointed. I would return in a heartbeat

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Judy257
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

We really appreciated reading your comments on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa. Thank you so much!

Our team members will be happy to read that they contributed to your relaxing stay through their dedication and friendliness.

Looking forward to your return visit in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I wish I could think of something negative to say about the Puli - just to retain my credibility. But the Zen ambience completely wipes your mind of peripheral thought. This is the way my ‘reincarnated self’ would like to live. Exeunt clutter, struggle and the mundanity of life. Enter minimalism and luxury. But with plenty of people to do some ‘caring and sharing’!

Room: big comfortable beds & wonderful pillows (it’s a hotel – it’s got to be their prime concern!), huge, airy; décor aforementioned zen … black trip, wood, dimmed lights; huge ‘wet rooms’ with double headed showers – one a real ‘rainforest’ head - fabulous; separate basins (my other half is always delighted to be separated from my chaos); table and chairs to enjoy room service dinner that our late arrival required (delicious - I mean delicious - noodles). I wanted to spend the rest of my life in that room.

Gym: small but with all the essentials; no swimming pool (hooray – a negative); great change rooms, showers and sauna.

Spa: booked out, couldn't try it (hooray negative #2).

Breakfast: delicious; plenty of traditional choice but not over the top

Staff: always attentive and willing in a really happy way. Not always with the answers – we had quite a few touristy questions about Shanghai and regions which stumped some of the staff. A very helpful young American women who appeared to be a front of house manager did a wonderful job in taking the initiative and finding answers for us about trains and timetables and giving us tips on our day trip to Suzhou. The English of the staff was generally strong, which was wonderful for us as our Mandarin is non-existent!

While the location is a little far from Bund attractions, it’s central enough to the ‘Paris-end’ of Nanjing Road and taxis are very cheap (and always cheerfully sourced by concierges) for it not to really matter.

The interior design of the hotel is just Too Kool for Skool - in the best possible way. It filled these old fogies with a bit life, creativity and youth – it reflected so much of that contemporary edginess that was evident in many places in this extraordinary city. Were I to return to Shanghai there’s no question where I’d stay. Loved it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Wow, what a great and detailed review following your stay at The PuLi Hotel and Spa - very much appreciated indeed!

I am delighted that your stay was a memorable one and that you and your wife enjoyed our hospitality and the comfortable room and your interaction with our staff.

The next time you are in town and hopefully staying with us again, I will personally have the pleasure in showing you our fabulous indoor 25-meter long infinity lap pool - I am sorry you were not aware of this tremendous amenity - you are just going to have to experience and enjoy this feature during your next visit!

As for the Spa - we have a limited amount ot treatment rooms available and therefore, highly recommend our guests to either book their Spa visit in advance or upon arrival.

Thank you very much for your patronage and we all are looking forward to your next visit.

With kindest regards,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Thank you Trip Advisor for helping me chose The Puli. After spending our first 3 nights in Shanghai in a stunning hotel on The Bund, we wanted to move to another area to explore. I was nervous about choosing a hotel in a business district but was not disappointed. The decor at The Puli was stunning. From the touted Long Bar to the delicious amenities in our sublime room, we were not disappointed. The service from every staff member was outstanding. A concierge who incredibly knowledgable and extremely helpful, bar staff who were friendly but not intrusive and doormen who went out of their way to look after taxis and luggage. I did not want to leave. We had a garden view room on the sixth floor and there was not a single thing I can fault with it. It was immaculately clean, the bed comfy and the complimentary mini bar well stocked with goodies.

The proximity to Nanjing Rd was great. It's actually a really great central location to explore Shanghai. If you've never been before - taxis are the day to get around. They're really cheap.

If I had one recommendation to make it would be to heat the pool. We were disappointed that we couldn't enjoy the hot spa together as they are situated in separate men and women's change rooms and the water temperature in the swimming pool was too cold to use.

We truly loved our time at The Puli. Next time I want to come when it's warm enough to utilise the gorgeous outdoor area.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting your generous comments on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa in April.

I am especially delighted to read that our staff members delivered service in an outstanding, helpful, friendly and not intrusive way and were instrumental in making your stay such a memorable one.

We heat our indoor pool to 29 degreese Celsius.

We look forward to your return in the warmer months and remain,

With kindest regards,