All reviews zhongshan park operations manager subway entrance rooms are clean free wifi nice hotel front desk staff shopping mall lobby bar convenient location business trip nice room breakfast buffet is pudong airport jeffery yue line
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed 1 night here at Pentahotel Shanghai and was pleasantly surprised to have a great stay with good service and a hip-stylish lobby. I booked online and though a one night deposit was deducted from my credit card the receptionist also took another 2 nights deposit from my card again (saying the rest will be returned to my card upon check out??. I will need to check with my bank account later on this then). The Design of the Front Office was cool....like a library and the hip restaurant and lounger/bar was right behind the reception. I especially liked the woody feel and club/lounge feel of the whole lobby cum restaurant (also the place where I was to take my breakfast). The room although was small but designed well to meet my needs in terms of bed comfort, cleanliness, decor, user-friendliness. Though the toilet's shower lacked the water pressure I would have wished for, it did it's purpose just enough and some parts of woodwork in need of a new coat of varnishing. The room's curtain was good in keeping my sleep completely in the dark (missing was a night light). The TV and programs were easily understood and negotiated. The foreign cable channels were limited to CNN,BBC, CNA, HBO and several CCTV (China) foreign channles but then again in this Zhongshan Park location, there' are plenty of activities outside. The hotel is connected just a few steps to the Metro Line 2 and about 400 meter walk underground to the huge Longzimen Shopping center where many restaurants and shopping are available (excellent spot) plus Carrefour is there too. The hotel also allowed me a direct link to connect my flight out at Pudong as Metro Line 2 goes from Zhongshan Park station dot Pudong International airport (about 1.30 hour allowance to be givven for this journey (recommended). The room was complete with tea/coffee making pot and 2 bottles of free mineral water, an iron and ironing board and just enough hangers for my winter wear. I slept well in the queen size bed which had very comfy pillows and the temperature theromostat was easy to control as well. Breakfast was great for the price I paid and the value of both local and western items was more than enough (muesli, bacon/sausage, eggs, yoghurt, jucies, bakery, cheese and the local porridge and condiments and some hot chinese items too. (missing was soya bean milk though). The staff were attentive and helpful and quick to clear and as I dropped my key card somewhere in the restaurant but upon request at the Reception ...a quick ID check and they were responsive to issue a new room key card for me! Great. My check out was fast and clean (I did remind the reception that they should return my 2 nights deposit and charge only for the 1 night and the female reception assured me that it will be done soonest). Overall the service was good and fairly friendly and more important prompt service was received. (Note: One gripe was after checking in, a room maind almost opened my door without 'ringing or pressing the doorbell"....I opened the door and she said she wanted to check if the room was 'cleaned'....I thank her anyway). I will consider to stay here again if given the chance and recommend Pentahotel (if room size is not an issue although I believe that there are other size configuration available at a different price). I did not use the gym on the 5th floor as trip too short.

Room tip: High floor recommened as some buildings 4 -5 floors in front. Good front view allows you of view of Zhongshan Park (now under renovation)
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for your extensive comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed and appreciate your detailed description of our facilities and your stay with us. Thanks also for sharing our excellent location with lots of shops and restaurants and next to the subway station. I appreciate your nice remarks about the breakfast and facilities but sorry to hear Housekeeping entered the room to quickly. We look forward to have you back very soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The room is reasonable for the price. The hotel is at a good location; close to Metro and there are malls and shops within walking distance. The gym is pretty small and cannot fit more than 4 people at a time. Buffet breakfast is not bad with some varieties. There are plenty of eating places around the hotel area so there are choices for breakfast if you don't want to eat at the hotel, but you need to understand the menu in Chinese as most of the eating places serve locals.

Evening customer service at reception may need improvement. I had to wait more than 15 minutes for a couple checking in and then when it came to my turn, two lady guests just jumped in the queue. Surprisingly the receptionist served them first instead of me.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and excellent location with lots of shops and restaurants and next to the subway station. I appreciate your nice remarks about the breakfast and facilities but sorry to hear you had to wait at check-in with guests jumping the queue. We look forward to have you back very soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

comfy, economical, good quality; stay this hotel since 2013 yearly business trip. Do not feel too much people intrude your privacy as it is free and easy no frills that type of product, not flashy but down to earth for a good stay.

Date of stay: December 2018
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your positive comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and excellent location next to the subway station. I appreciate your nice remarks about our hotel and description of our product. We look forward to have you back very soon!

Reviewed November 19, 2018

I stayed here for 6 nights in November and the room and hotel was very nice and clean although the rooms could do with a bit of a refresh. The staff were very friendly and efficient. Breakfast too was very good with a wide range of choices, from bacon, eggs, cheese etc through to more Chinese offerings. The bar downstairs was very modern and lively, and the beer and bar food great.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2018

Thank you for your positive comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your nice remarks about our hotel, excellent breakfast, friendly team of Associates and fun pentalounge on the ground floor. Your comments about the rooms have been noted and are being looked into. We look forward to have you back very soon!

Reviewed November 13, 2018

This hotel is nice for the people who did not have enough budget to stay in the New World Shanghai hotel but like its location. And I like the variety of breakfast. The employees are friendly. The most special is the dancing party in the lobby during weekend evening. But sorry that the room decoration is getting old and not well maintain especially in the bathroom. One thing needs to be improved right away is the water temperature changed from very hot to cold automatically which is not stable. This might hurt the hotel guests.

Date of stay: October 2018
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Euclid H

Thank you for your constructive comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I thank you for pointing out our excellent location, breakfast and friendly team of Associates. Your comments about the room product have been noted and are currently being looked into for improvement. The issue about the water temperature has been fixed and I am very sorry that you were inconvenienced by it. We look forward to have you back very soon to show that we have taken your comments to heart!