“When in Shanghai, I Only Stay at Pentahotel”

Pentahotel Shanghai
Ranked #66 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Having traveled all over Asia for the past ten years, I have stayed in many hotels. Pentahotel Shanghai stands out from the rest. It is my home away from home…..because it feels like a home!! When in Shanghai, I will not even consider staying elsewhere.

The staff is attentive and friendly, always making you feel welcome. From housekeeping to front desk to restaurant to management, you are treated like a member of the family. Pentahotel definitely values a returning customer. As frequent visitor, I am treated like royalty.

The restaurant has a good selection of different cuisines with efficient service. The location is also difficult to beat.

You cannot go wrong at Penthotel !

Room Tip: Rooms on the rear side of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear you enjoy your stays with us and that you find our Associates to be helpful and friendly and our location 'difficult to beat'. I am also very glad you get proper recognition as a regular guest and look forward to have you back very soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

If you are looking for a hotel near downtown then this one is not for you as it is located about 7-8 Km away from Nanjing road and about 11 Km from the harbour, but taxis are cheap and so this hotel is definitely a good choice. The reception area is somewhat awkward as it is the back of the bar but has it's own flair, comparable to European business hotels. Staff is not the most friendly but they are allways willing to help out with addresses, info material or even organizing a taxi. The rooms are rather large but lack a wardrobe which is odd. Just a clothes hanger bar and six hangers. Free bottled water, WiFi, and other in-room amenities, big screen TV (even with German TV channel...). Housekeeping was thorough with making the bed and cleaning the bath but carpet floors were not vacuumed for two days. Breakfast was actually so-so. It is being served from 06:00 to 10:00 a.m.. I went at 06:15 hrs and one would expect that would woul be hot when it comes out of the kitchen but is was not. Congee was so thin that is was more a broth, fried rice tasted and looked like left overs from the previous day, dry and tasteless; srambled eggs almost raw and way too runny; what disturbed me most was the VERY loud music in the morning in the breakfast room. Who needs Lady Gaga at 95 dezibel in the early hours? I recommed to pay a little more supervision to the kitchen and service staff. Other then that I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear your constructive comments about our hotel and thank you for sharing this with us. We get lots of good comments about our location as you know as it is very convenient to get around town. Your comments about breakfast have been addressed with the kitchen team and also your observation about the friendliness of our Associates has been noted. We look forward to have you back soon to show we have taken your comments seriously!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is now my preferred place to stay in Shanghai, after having tried numerous overpriced false-marble and gold "luxury" hotels. It is the closest I've been to a decent German/Austrian standard at such very reasonable prices. The lounge/lobby is small but warm and cosy; the staff are generally efficient and give the impression that they have actually been trained to do their job!
If you have the time (and the nerves), there are bikes for free hire; there is a park across the road for an early-morning jog and you can also use the pool (in summer only) on the roof of the hotel next door.
Superb location - right on line 2 which runs across the centre of town and two minutes' walk to lines 4 and 5.
Going back soon!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. As you know, we receive lots of positve feedback about our location with 3 major subway lines on our doorstep and in between both of Shanghai's airports. Thanks also for your observation about our excellent value for money concept in comparison to other 5 star luxury hotels. Next time you are staying with us again please join me on one of the General Manager's bike tours so that I can take you on a safe trip around Shanghai! We hope to see you back very soon

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

This is probably my 15th stay in this hotel and it has clearly become my favorite place in Shanghai. Good value for money, good location near MRT station, nice clean rooms, good breakfeast, nice bar&restaurant, modern interior design, English speaking staff and good service! It's easy to get around from here to all places in PuXi and it takes less than 30
min to Honqiao Hub by taxi.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear your enthusiastic description of our hotel and appreciate your loyalty to us. I am happy to hear you had a positive experience in our hotel and thank you for your recommendation to others. As you know we get lots of positive feedback about our location right on top of three major subway lines and in between both Shanghai airports and I am happy to hear that you agree with these comments. I appreciate your nice words about the English levels of the team and hope to continue having you as our guest

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The shortest summary for Pentahotel might be "upscale Motel One" for anyone who knows this European chain: Pentahotel is no classic 4-star business hotel but it has good rooms with decent space, a great breakfast, a good location, helpful staff, a laidback atmosphere in the pentalounge, and even a gym. Of course, they have the regular amenities of complimentary wifi and water.

I spent quite some time at pentalounge watching the Olympics while hunting for an apartment in Shanghai drinking coffee or tea. I always felt at ease sitting there as pentalounge is really like a place to hang out with a pool tabe, darts, magazines, and board games (which is why it's a popular place for 20/30somethings).

The location made it quite easy for me to get around the city to look at apartments and I would always come back there to get good value-for-money.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thank you for your positive comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear your enthusiastic and summary description of our hotel. Thanks also for your observation about our value for money concept and relaxed atmosphere. I will most certainly share your positive remarks with the team here and hope to continue having you as our guest in our pentalounge now you have relocated to Shanghai!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I have been at this hotel 3 times and I will go there again there again in March.
I like the atmosphere and the staff who is always helpful.
Everybody, from housekeeping to the managers, make me feel like very special guest.
The location is excellent when going on business trips around Shanghai area and it's easy to get to the airports.
The breakfast buffe is a mix of chinese and international style. It's not the largest buffe but you can always find something you like.
The rooms are clean and just enough space for staying a few nights.

Room Tip: The Penta Plus rooms are a little bit bigger but still affordable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear your enthusiastic description of our hotel and our Associates appreciate your loyalty to us. I am happy to hear you had a positive experience in our hotel and thank you for your recommendation to others. As you know we get lots of positive feedback about our very convenient location and breakfast and I am happy to hear that you agree with these comments and hope to continue having you as our guest

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Penta Hotel Shanghai is a very good hotel.The lobby is different with other hotels in shanghai.
The room is clean and the staff of housekeeping and reception is very kind to me,it makes me feel like home.
The GYM is small but it is good,and it is free to use.Penta Hotel Shanghai is a good hotel to stay for a longer time.
The location of the hotel is very convenience to many places of shanghai,for example hongqiao and pudong airport.It's very good for the guests.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. As you know, we receive lots of positve feedback about our location with 3 major subway lines on our doorstep and in between both of Shanghai's airports. Thanks also for your observation about our Housekeeping standards and kind words about our Team of Associates. We hope to see you back very soon!