“Good Hotel, conveniently located”

Pentahotel Shanghai
Ranked #64 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Very conveniently located, good hotel. good sized rooms, Only issue I find is reception and bar are back to back without wall in between, making reception area very noisy and leaving first impression very bad. Girls for massage are waiting for you at reception area which is another negative issue about this property.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. As you know, we receive lots of positve feedback about our location with 3 major subway lines on our doorstep and in between both of Shanghai's airports. I am sorry to hear you did not like the bar/reception back to back concept but hope you enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere this creates. At the same time we are addressing the issue of loitering outside the hotel with local authorities and hope to resolve this shortly. Thank you again for your constructive feedback and we hope to see you back very soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

First of all: The room was very clean, the bathroom, too, as well as the restaurant area. Food was tasty and choice good. Great air conditioning, not too noisy.

When trying to check in, a lengthy check was done in the computer and got the impression my booking had been lost. Then I was asked if I wanted a smoking or non-smoking room. Non-smoking, as booked, please. If smoking would be o.k., too. Really not?
Then I was given an upgrade to a very nice two-room apartment without further discussion.

My credit card did not work on the first day, so I paid approx. 40% of the total amount (3 nights) in cash. The next day it worked and without any information or explanation I was requested to sign for an amount approx. 10% higher than the total costs. "Deposit" was the only short explanation. Aha.

So when checking out, I asked for the refund. Refund?
No refund because I had been charged the correct amount. So I produced the booking and the receipt for the "deposit", waited for some time and then had to hand over my credit card again, no cash repayment possible. O.k. Now - my fault, I admit - after arriving home again, I realised that I did NOT get a refund for the whole difference, but only for 10% of it.

All these issues make me take off two stars, the hotel itself would have easily got five, but such money issues are really annoying.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelsLoadsEurope

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai! I am glad you enjoyed our facilities and found the hotel to offer a good value for money concept. At the same time I am sorry to hear you had trouble with your credit card which resulted in the confusion you described. I can assure you that the hotel follows strict guidelines when it comes to financial transactions and at all times charges our guests the exact outstanding amounts without fail. I hope you will continue to be our guest and look forward to welcome you back to Shanghai soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

A light smell of wetness was a first impression when we entered a room given to us. We check couple of others as the staff was kind to serve us, but they said there was a new aircon system installed recently so the smell was everywhere. They proactively offered us a mobile air purify and with time we get used to it. The other issue which was quite disappointing for taxi you should go to an adjacent huge hotel, the hotel staff doesn't order a taxi specifically for you and direct you to that taxi stand, it wasn't that inconvenient but was felt quite impolite from them. Breakfast is reasonably western but comparing to pentahotel in beijing with less options of cheese, meet and eggs. The location itself is excellent with convenient entrance to 3 subway lines right over the corner and huge shopping mall in 10 mins walk (radisson building) and infinite variations of cafés around. If it wouldn't be a smell I definitely recommend the hotel for its optimal value for money.

Room Tip: The street is quite busy one, so try to get an opposite side or a higher floor. I guess the rooms ar...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your Tripadvisor contribution. As you know, we receive lots of positve feedback about our location with 3 major subway lines on our doorstep and in between both of Shanghai's airports. Thanks also for your observation about our value for money concept, good breafkast and relaxed atmosphere. I am sorry you experienced a damp smell in your room, something we have addressed and subsequently fixed. I will discuss your problem getting a taxi with the team and make sure our Associates are more helpful in future. I hope to continue having you as our guest!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My third time at the Pentahotel proved a consistent customer service experience. The staff does everything they can to make you feel comfortable and appreciated. They offer complimentary bikes on loan and have a nice route of the neighborhood you can check out. Excellent hotel to unwind in with dart board and pool table available in the evening for late night gaming. Hotel is a fairly quick taxi ride from most places near the center of Shanghai. My company also hosted a meeting here and the group found the facilities and restaurants to be top notch for the event.

Room Tip: Call ahead if you have special needs. They are very proactive about setting things up in advance of...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our associates to be helpful and friendly and our location convenient. I am also very glad you used our complimentary pentabikes and found the neighborhood tips useful. I will most certainly share your positive remarks with the team here and we hope to continue having you as our guest!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stay in this hotel each time in Shanghai.

The hotel location is convenient, close to MTR station.

The Cantonese restaurant upstairs of this hotel is tasty and spacious.

The bar and restaurant is quite popular among young businesss professionals.

The hotel staff is always quite helpful and caring.

I like this hotel, as it is my second home in Shanghai.

• Stayed: July 2013
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. As you know, we receive lots of positve feedback about our location with 3 major subway lines on our doorstep and in between both of Shanghai's airports. Thanks also for your observation about our YUE1525 Chinese Restaurant, pentalounge and team of dedicated and loyal Associates. We hope to see you back very soon

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Penta Hotel is a place where creates a very nice and comfortable atmosphere to all customers especially when you are exhausted Every time when I finished for my whole day work and came back Penta for rest, I felt relaxed and calm. Staff here is very friendly and professional to provide all-round service. They often wear warm smile and give greetings!

Room Tip: floral wall and open wardrobe
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your positive comments about pentahotel Shanghai! The team and I are very encouraged about your positive feedback and look forward to welcome you back to Shanghai. We appreciate your observation about our nice and comfortable atmosphere and friendly team, a comment we hear very often. We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

In November 2012 my company, Mercedes-Benz technology, booked me at Penta for a short period of time till I get myself organized. Far away from Germany without family and friends it was and still the best choice to feel Home. Friendly atmosphere, modern design, good food (especially the burger!), fresh breakfast, the weekend brunch days, the huge Cloud Nine Longemont shopping mall (6 walking min), the subway 2 (6 walking min), the frequent taxis even when it rains -;)), perfect for the frequent flyers to Hongqiao airport (20 taxi min). The Price performance is fair. After all I decided to stay there and since 7 months Penta is my Home.

Room Tip: Upgrading the Room from stadrard to a higher level is recommended!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. As you know, we receive lots of positve feedback about our location with 3 major subway lines on our doorstep and in between both of Shanghai's airports. Thanks also for your observation about our value for money concept, good breafkast and relaxed atmosphere. I will most certainly share your positive remarks with the team here and we hope to continue having you as our guest!