Pentahotel Shanghai
  • Room Service
  • Fitness center
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewszhongshan parkworld hoteloperations managersubway entrancerooms are cleanreception area isfree wififront desk staffnice hotelconvenient locationshopping mallbusiness triphotel roomnice roomhongqiao airportbreakfast buffet isbusiness hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I would recommend this hotel to most people if they are looking for a no thrills hotel in the city center. The rooms are very small but well appointed. Modern, clean and efficient. Dont bother watching TV if you speak english as all the channels are chinese. The bar downstair is great if not a little pricey. Go to the park next door at night and you will see all the older chinese people street dancing. It si quite a novelty. Breakfast was average to good. If you dont want to spend a lot and are not interested in a great room, this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Get one facing the main road as it adds a little more interest to the view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Breakfast was good without being spectacular The staff were good the room was good but the bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen in my life. A little way from the town centre but the train system is absolutely amazing

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be the same. Other than the bathroom it's an ok hotel I would stay there again as it was great value
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I come to Shanghai every month and normally will in this hotel. I really have not much complaint. The room is small but cosy. So, basically if you're travelling Shanghai on Business, this hotel is conveniently located where you can get your basic needs (food and shopping) fulfilled.

It is 50 km away from Pudong Airport. So normally, the Taxi fare should be around 180 RMB. But, on this trip, i encountered two Taxi drivers (ongoing trip and returning trip), the Taxi drivers bring me on a longer route which is 57.7km according to the receipt. As a result, the Taxi fare become 203RMB.
Though I did not really have any argument with the driver, I did commented to the driver that the distance is longer than what I used to know. I made a complaint to the Taxi company. (Normally, there is a telephone number to call which is shown on the receipt).

I strongly encourage those who has this kind of encounters to make complain to the Taxi Company. Or else, the Taxi fare will keep on going up...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dongshaofeng1
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed in this hotel while touring Shanghai last month. The room is very basic and small and there were no drawers for clothings. Also very small bathroom. I read about the smell from one of the earlier review but did not expect it to permeate from the hallway into our room. We went into the restaurant in the adjacent building for lunch one day and had to walk out immediately from the same gas-like smell. The ventilation in the room is very poor and the thermostat never worked regardless of our setting. I think the hotel control all the rooms' temperature throughout the whole floor. The walls are paper thin. We were able to hear all the conversations from the next room. The breadfast buffet, however is decent considerate it's included with the room rate. The front desk clerks were very lay back and show no concern for their guests.They never even ask how our stay was during our check out.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I have been visiting Shanghai for work since 2006...never stayed at this hotel. One of our clients is in the vicinity and recommended it....so I am here.
- RMB 180 cab ride from Pudong airport
- Rooms are small.
- No wi-fi in rooms but internet works well (ethernet cord provided).
- The breakfast is nice - usual and customary fare in most hotels (budget onward) - cereal, fruit and bread for non-local taste and plenty of local cuisine options. Green tea is extra (RMB 32).
- 14th floor is better than others (I was assigned a room on the 6th but the floor smelled of tobacco smoke).
- Don't expect housekeeping to give you bottles of water everyday. I went out f my way to ensure I got two....otherwise you need to buy locally - available easily.
- Worst part - no Fitness center - need to pay RMB 60+ at the nearby World Hotel.
- Best part - very close to the Jing-An temple - a very pleasant sight in the evening (highly recommended).

Room Tip: 14th floor rooms (standard and deluxe) do not smell of tobacco. Deluxe room has a sitting area and a larger sized bathroom.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business