“Almost perfect...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #126 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
Bangkok
“Almost perfect...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

...except that one couldn't adjust the temperature of the room to cool it down. Given the very thick duvet and the windows that don't open, the temperature was was stifling. Had a very bad night. Other than that, the hotel, its service, its location and amenities are fabulous.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

Overall I was very satisfied with this hotel. A shuttle bus runs every 10-20 minutes between the hotel and the airport. It’s easy to find at it picks you up right outside the door of the terminal from the ‘Ramada’ airport bus sign.

The hotel had many staff working when I arrived- approx 11pm. The gift shop was open, selling clothes, underwear, food and gifts. The clothes came in handy as my suitcase was misdirected to another country by my airline. However, don’t bother buying the fake Ralph Lauren polos here for 600RMB- in the markets they are about 100RMB. There is free wireless Internet in the lovely marble hotel lobby [same as the airport] However, facebook, YouTube and twitter are all BANNED in China- don’t get too excited about free internet!

The restaurant is located to the right of the reception. I got a burger, fries and salad all for 80RMB- about $20 AUS. Good value. For Breakfast, there is a big buffet with croissants, toast, cereal, fruit, omlets- the list goes on. Breakfast is about 120RMB. Great value!

Ok, now the room. They were a decent size, very clean and plush. The bed was faultless: crisp pearly white sheets, comfy bed- I slept like a baby! Just warning you there is no alarm clock/clock so be sure to ask staff for a wake up call. The Bathrooms are nice, marble and clean. They supply you with a comb, shampoo, nail file, etc- just perfect after a long flight!

Overall, I give this hotel 4 star. I was transiting between 2 twelve-hour flights and an over night stay at this hotel was perfect. As I only stayed here for 10 hours I did not get to use the facilities. However, there is apparently a gym and other restaurants.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Milwaukee, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

Stayed one night at this hotel waiting for early morning flight on Dec 12. I didn't get the kind of room I had reserved, but receptionist claimed I received more spacious room but with double beds. She also mentioned something about the spa I didn't quite catch because of her poor english. As I entered my room I found a card entitling to 100 yuan discount off massage at the Helen Huang spa downstairs. With nothing else to do I took the elevator to the health club and started browsing through their catalogue of treatments, with several persons around me urging me to enter their KTV lounge, order a beer, or relax with their "beautiful girls". Body massage that was recommended by the young gentleman at the spa reception cost more than 700 yuan. When I told them I am not interested and was about to leave the spa, the "madame" approached me and asked whether I was interested in one of their beautiful girls, she also encouraged me to give me room number. So maybe here is an explanation why some gentlemen visiting this hotel are harassed by the working girls. I could have told a wrong room number, too. Instead, I just decided too leave and told the madame that I want to spend my night in peace and quiet.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank secretchina
Upstate NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2009

I, too, was on the Dec 9 flight to Chicago--or to be exact, was *not* on that flight and neither was anyone else. Somehow, I wasn't solicited at all, but I was so tired that night nothing would have awakened me, so maybe I really was. My theory is that when a place is infiltrated by working girls like that (or when taxi drivers are pimping), that is the result of the girls bribing someone on the staff with payment-in-kind, so to speak, to get the guest list, so it is not as large of a security breach as it might at first seem.

The hotel iteself is very close to the Pudong airport, close enough to see the ailing Boeing 777 from my window, and offers scheduled shuttle buses to the airport terminals. I paid, well, $0 for the room so I can't comment on value for the money, but the room appointments were comparable to an American Holiday Inn, Best Western, or similar. The breakfast layout had a wide variety of Asian and Western food, though not as good as the upscale hotels in the city. Internet was $13. It has a restaurant (which I didn't use) and a lobby bar with lounge singer.

This hotel is well suited for an overnight layover if your morning flight departs Pudong (but not if it departs Hongqiao). It might also be reasonable setting for a global business meeting if the price is right and you are budget-conscious, but the central city area has dozens of the hotels that are better for that purpose.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business