“Will not come back”

The Bund Riverside Hotel
Ranked #158 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Not well placed (I was there on a business trip however with someone on the vicinity), it has practically no lobby or sitting accomodation, and no wireless (it does have wireless in the lobby but it does not work!...). Not far (and not very near) to the Metro.
English spoken well at the reception point, not well by the numerous and kind bell-boys etc. (one of them gave our taxi driver informations that sent us to the opposite of our destination ...), it looks like the personnel is not very well paid and consequently not the best trained.
Average-good rooms (not very spacious, but it's Ok), average-good cleanliness of the room, so-and-so bathroom, No hair-dryer!
Two restaurants (good), which I did not try.
Breakfast is in the scenic top floor and it is generous and varied (unfortunately something I ate there caused me some problems ...).
I do not think it is really a 4 star and I am sorry but I believe that you could either get more for the same price or much much more for just a little more money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Bund Riverside Hotel

Reviewed April 22, 2013

All-in-all, I would have been all-in four stars for the RB. However, I think their beds are made of granite. Was as bad as the beds I slept on in Hanoi in a 12 dollar a night room.

Otherwise, the room was large, clean and fairly comfortable. The lobby is a bustling noisy place, and the wifi is ONLY in the lobby (there is wired internet in the rooms, but with only my phone and iPad, I was forced to use my phone as a hotspot. Make sure you bring your cable and something that can accept it (or a router, of course).

No free breakfast, but a decent location within a quick walk from E. Nanshing street, the 2 train line, and a little further to The Bund. Overall, I was fairly satisfied.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2013

At the end of a two-week visit to China, we spent two days in Shanghai. It was so nice to have The Bund Riverside as our home. The location is equidistance between the historic riverfront with the amazing sky-scraper views across the river and Shanghai's main shopping district. Each are only a few blocks away from The Bund Riverside. The rooms are roomy, modern, clean and quiet. Travelers who want a nicer place to stay without having to spend all that much will enjoy staying here.

The Bund serves a a nice breakfast, but nothing special. The lobby bar is not really staffed. If they see someone hanging around, they send someone over. They seemed a little surprised that I wanted a cocktail at 5:30 p.m..

On my next trip to Shanghai, I will feel very comfortable returning to The Bund Riverside. A great location to see some of the best of what this beautiful city has to offer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

weather this hotel is really a 4 star or not. I had booked a 'superior riverview queen' for 4 nights and was given a small, shabby' filthy room on the 8th floor. The stained wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the dark furniture had seen better days and the well trodden on carpet had not been cleaned for a very long time ! Yak ! the toilet flush gave up after one use. The next day I was given a very nice, bigger, lighter and clean room on the 16th floor with a view towards the river and the financial center on the opposite side of the river. --- Breakfast in the coffee Bar which is adjacent to the lobby. My continental breakfast consisted of: a lukewarm small cup of coffee, 2 slices of toast with ONE small packet of butter and ONE small packet of jam. 1 muffin. The orange juice was squash. Not satisfactory at all for a 4 star Hotel. In general, not a bad place but needs improvement in various departments.

Room Tip: Don't be shy, just complain and stand your ground ! the higher up you are the better the view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My son was visiting us from Australia and i wanted to stay in a Hotel with a great view of the Bund and the river for a couple of nights. We had a Twin River view room on the 11th Floor. It was a Nice, clean, only a small room and very comfortable except for the hard beds. Dont let the name of this Hotel deceive you. There was a nice view with the Pearl Tower in the distance but it wasn't a Huangpu river view just the Suzhou Creek view. Still nice to look at all the same.
The hotel is situated in a Great location with short walking distances to the Bund, The Pedestrian Street , People Square and a 1 stop train travel on line 10 to Yuyuan Gardens.
The service at the Lobby was great, Doors opened for you, bags taken straight away and a quick check in and very welcoming.
Not long after being in our room we had a problem with the toilet not flushing at all. A maintenance man came to fix it. He was slightly rude, He had no English and came and left without us knowing whether it was fixed or not. No! still didn't work. The next time i called a manager came with him, looking very annoyed, like we were bothering them. He was extremely rude to me and was trying to tell me that if they couldnt fix it now that they would deal with it in the morning. Really? No! Not good enough! A toilet is a necessity i would think. I asked to change rooms but again he was really rude saying no way, then walking off laughing and talking in Chinese. There was no apologies for the inconvenience and I was very unimpressed with his attitude and i am not one to complain. This hotel needs to teach some of their staff some manners and social skills.
Dinner at the Western restuarant was really over priced for what you got. Staff their were suprisingly good and welcoming, very professional. The steak we ordered was like chewing rubber. Breakfast was ok with a range of western and chinese food. Again staff need a bit of personality, and a hello and smile wouldnt hurt.
We tried room service the next night. We waited an hour, called back to check on it, but only to be told we didn't put an order in. Lack of English! I think it got to hard so they just ignored the order. We put another one in and waited another half hour.
In saying all of the above and a few little problems, its not an overly bad hotel to have a short stay in and the majority of the staff were wonderful and accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We spent 3 nights there. The water was prepared every morning without any sign to the table separated from the minibar..There were not any notice, or label that it will be charged.,We had to pay it finally,.We got a loww cost breakfast instead of normal one, what was payed ahaed.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank KatalinM889
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Easy walk to shopping and the Bund. Room was large, comfortable, very nice tiled bath with glass-enclosed shower. Usual amenities, thick towels, just a very pleasant two-night stay. Breakfast on the 18th floor, nice view, plenty of Western and Chinese dishes to choose from.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo