“Bad internet connection!”

Ranked #16 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore
“Bad internet connection!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Location of this hotel is great for my work purpose and it is also relatively close to the IFC Mall, Super Brands' Mall, Oriental Pearl Tower area, all connected via a huge circular overhead bridge. As most people have already said, this hotel is new, swanky and rooms are big. However there are some flaws that people should be aware of.

First, internet connection. It was sporadic and slow. I had inconsistent connection to both the LAN wired network and the wireless network throughout my 3 night stay. At no time, even when I can get connection, was internet fast enough. This is a significant flaw to a business traveller.

Secondly, while reception staff looked professional, I can't say the same for the staff in the breakfast buffet cafe. While the wait staff were friendly and helpful, I had experienced the following during my 3 breakfasts which led me to conclude this is not of international standard: (a) staff smelling the jam when asked what jam it was; (b) staff chatting with each other at the egg station while I was waiting for my eggs to be done; (c) one lady at the noodle station did not look friendly and one staff at the egg station gruffly replied that he knew already when reminded of my additions of ham and cheese to my scrambled eggs and he also placed the plate rather loudly on the counter for my collection although unintentionally so. This place felt like a Chinese hotel meant for locals, not international guests. Better staff training is really in order to improve on the sophistication factor.

Thirdly, buffet breakfast was quite average. It's quite standard for a big breakfast buffet spread in Asian hotels so I think this is to be expected rather than lauded. The issue is how tasty each item is. The tastiest things to my Southeast Asian Chinese taste buds were the danish pastries and the noodles in soup. The dimsums are to be avoided, especially the awful prawn dumplings and bbq pork buns (or char siew buns). This is the first time I have seen prawn dumplings made with a few tiny prawns, rather than one big crunchy prawns.This is also the first hotel where I have been served scrambled eggs with tiny unmelted cubes of hard cheese. Umm...serve a cheese with meltability please. Juices are unappealing, even if they were from a bottle, with rather diluted tastes.

Fourthly, the lifts do not require key cards to be swiped before one can reach a certain floor. This is rather unusual from a security perspective today.

Fifthly, sound insulation is not good. I did not have a connecting door but I could hear noises from the corridor and I was awakened one morning by a neighbour going in and out of his/her room with doors being closing loudly.

On weekdays, the crowd is mostly business people, including Western ones. When weekend rolls around, I see a mostly domestic crowd (some with loud voices).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

fantastic hotel ,fantastic location ,convenience,clean and nice view. I wanted to express our sincere appreciation for superior service we received .especially Jenny. thank you very much for her high standard service, always keep nice smile makes me feel at home, we will return the favor by continuous patronage.

Munich
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was the first time for me to choose this hotel, i stayed there about 2 weeks.i just want to share my experience with all the friends.i booked the bund view room ,the scenery is very beautiful,the bathrub is very big.what's more the staff is friendly and professional.everytime when i go to 28th,i ever don't need to order something they can serve me what i need .
so professional!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I chose this hotel because my friend’s recommendation. I have stay at red level 3 days with Fantastic bund view room. The environment of the lounge was really gorgeous while the breakfast was great. Unfortunately I got sick that time; the red level staff realized that. Not only in the morning that offering me the fresh congee, but also in the afternoon. When My mother asked the hospital information; they also make the reservation for me. When I returned to my room, the fresh fruit was pre-assigned already. They treated me like a family member. I will definitely return to this warm family.

Simi Valley, California
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My room and bathroom were quite large (far larger than most hotel rooms in Asia). Very large shower with wide shower head above and 3 water jets vertically placed on the wall. There was plenty of lighting options - far more than any hotel I've frequented anywhere in the world. The room was spotless and the furniture, furnishings, closet, bedding and carpeting were in perfect condition (no wear).

The staff was friendly and extremely attentive except for the wait staff in the restaurant who practically ignored the patrons, except when they cleared the used dishes. It was impossible to get the wait staff to bring coffee during breakfast so I had to go to the buffet area to serve myself. When I asked for coffee, the wait staff appeared to leave to get some, yet never returned. The variety of food was extensive and the food quality was excellent.

The WiFi Internet access was spotty at best which made for a frustrating stay since I was in the hotel all week attending a conference. Internet access was constantly up and down and often when it was working, there was insufficient bandwidth to retrieve emails.

I would have rated the hotel 5 circles (excellent) if it weren't for the Internet access issues.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The rooms were pretty large with a washroom and separate shower of very good size. The room was well equipped with anything you could think of.

The breakfast offered a hughe variance of asian and british falvors, but less european ones. If you do not like fish or meat for your breakfast the selection rapidly becomes pretty limited. Service during breakfast times often lacked effectiveness, so that getting a table for more than two could be a challenge.

Around the hotel there are lots of things to be reached in walking distance, including subway to go to the airport or all other parts of the city. Annoyingly the pimps are waiting directly in front of the hotel and molest you every time you go out or come in during evening hours.

Only few of the staff spoke reasonably any othr language, so that communication with the staff, even in bar or restaurant, was sometimes really a challenge.

Prices in the restaurants and bars in the hotel are pretty high compared to the near surroundings.

On arrival I agreed on a late checkout for the last day. Coming to the room after lunch on the last day it was all cleaned u as already checked out and everything i had in the washroom was thrown away (tooth paste, tooth brush, slippers, deodorant, ...). But my bag and clothes were still in the rom. So housekeeping should have noticed that something is different. Complaints at the front desk were just answered with an excuse but not a least offer to cover cost for the destroyed belongings. Instead they still charged the full price for the late checkout. That prooved the feeling of the service I had the whole time: Looks kind but is just a mockup.

1 Thank Tanteju5
Athens, Greece
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Red Level team in the executive floor provided really excellent service. It is definetelly maximum value for money. i have stayed for 6 days and i have to admit that my stay was perfect. The location of the hotel is also good for business purposes.

Room Tip: The executive rooms are comfortable and luxurious, the river view is really nice