“Great B&B!”

Ranked #5 of 776 Shanghai B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Great B&B!”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Husband & I stayed here for two nights & loved it. Was our last stop on a 2-week trip in China, and the perfect end. Clean, great location, friendly & helpful staff, and a delicious breakfast too! More than accommodating, the Quintet staff leaves great tips for your sight-seeing ventures in Shanghai, arranges taxis in a timely fashion, and even assisted us in finding out if tickets were still available to a local show before making the trek there. Also, when our departure time required us to leave before breakfast, they'd had delicious sandwiches packed in our room to take on the road. We were in the Bubbling Room, which was quite nice. Only downfall was the few steps to the bathroom, as we'd done an extensive hike the day before arriving and our legs were quite sore. All things considered, highly recommend!

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JSM41

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed at Quintet for five nights in early February. We loved the location, on a nice French Concession street just a couple of blocks from two subway stations that serve three lines. (One of these is line 2, which serves both airports.) The building and rooms are quaint but fully renovated, with all conveniences and many extras (robes, bottled water, hair dryer, tea kettle and tea set, large safe for valuables, etc.). Excellent breakfasts are cooked to order and served in the dining room on the ground floor. We would definitely stay here again.

My only disappointment: we stayed in the "Oriental Pearl" suite on the ground floor. It's the most expensive accommodation, because in addition to the sleeping room it has a lovely glass-walled and roofed sitting room with a chaise longue and an antique desk. That room is very nice, but because of all the glass, in February it was much too cold to use. I wished we had booked one of the less expensive rooms, although I can imagine that in warmer weather the Oriental Pearl suite might be worth the extra money.

Room Tip: Don't pay a premium for the Oriental Pearl suite in mid-winter; the sitting room is too cold to...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeffrey R
Albany, California
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We stayed here, two adults and a 10+ year old child. We stayed on the main floor in a room with a glass porch area. The room was lovely, with really nice touches like a tea kettle. The bathroom was well done with nice colors. Our breakfast was fresh and delicious!
The location is really excellent, in close walking distance to some great restaurants and a couple of subway lines. Very easy to grab a cab out front.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I enjoyed our 3-night stay at the Quintet very much. This inn is for those who don't the big hotel experience but want the cleanliness, personal touches, and local flavour that niche accommodation offers.

The inn only has six rooms. I liked the "split level" bedroom and bathroom, the little roof top balcony, our spacious room, the new bathroom fixtures, and wifi access. I loved the service. Housekeeping really knew how to tidy our room and put away our belongings so we find them easily. The office was ever so helpful with printing out our visas for our next destination and arranging a taxi to take us to the airport. I found the best way to communicate with the office was by email, while we were staying at the inn!

But look out if you have a heavy suitcase. The small inn does not have an elevator. You'd be lugging your suitcase up and down the stairs if you get a room on one of the upper floors.

Breakfast was hearty, cooked to your liking. Unfortunately, no room discount if you skip breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank TrippingAllOver
Reviewed December 31, 2011

An ideal location in the French Concession area, interesting restaurants and shops nearby. Also close to Metro stop to travel anywhere in Shanghai easily and little cost.

Staff are excellent, friendly and helpful, breakfast was delicious and generous, many options. Room was cosy and comfortable. The local guide prepared with eating, shopping, sightseeing and walking suggestions was excellent. Over a week we tried many of the recommended restaurants and all were good and very fairly priced.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Travonto
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Chose Quintet avoiding the big, unpersonal hotels from the Pudong area where I was working for some days.
I stayed in the Pearl room on the ground floor and enjoyed mostly having my own entrance to the room, via the patio so it made me feel I was in my second home.
Breakfast was great. I tried different options and when I was leaving early for work before breakfast hours my breakfast was turned into a lunch package at their own suggestion. That was very thoughtful and very much appreciated!
The room felt a bit cold when I arrived although that could be the damp Shanghai weather in december (?). Anyway heating and de-humidifier worked well and soon felt at home.
The staff was helpful, whether it was for a restaurant reservation, directions or any silly question I had.
all in all, a great pity I did not have extra days to enjoy the city, but I certainly enjoyed "my second home" in Shanghai

Room Tip: Chose the Quintet avoiding the unpersonal, big hotels of the Pudong area where I was working. Best t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This warm welcome lodge has almost everything which travellers want. modern chinese style room. quiet and privacy peaceful in the center of Shanghai. The staff here was very great and helpful, provide information for us and made our trip more comfy. We really enjoy 3 nights overthere. The weakness of this B&B maybe breakfast which doesn't have variety of food. At day2 you will feel bore with same menu and day3 you may stop eating breakfast. But in overall, this is the place which not disappointing

Room Tip: Oriental pearl on 1st floor has some backyard with garden view Grand cathay and bubling well have s...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends